Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this was already answered.

i did a quick search and found nothing on the topic under the 8th gen
if i leave the lights on my EX when i lock my car does this damage the wires?
i have hids installed and from time to time i leave em on cause i like how when i hit unlock the hids come on works like a charm at night. when i lock the car the lights turn off about 20 secs after

thanks in advance

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think quick cycles of on and off can decrease the life of the bulbs, though I would wait to hear from a more senior member before you quote me

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe it does decrease the life of the bulbs but, im not too worried about that. just concerned of frying cables

·
Registered
431 Posts
hids take less votage then stock halogens bulbs

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Why would 20 secs of them being on fry your wiring if driving at night with the lights on for eight hours wouldn't?

·
Internet
502 Posts
Why would 20 secs of them being on fry your wiring if driving at night with the lights on for eight hours wouldn't?
because of the flickers it does when you first turn them on, keeping it to a minimum reduces the amount of jolts it gets, i heard

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
because of the flickers it does when you first turn them on, keeping it to a minimum reduces the amount of jolts it gets, i heard
Turning your lights on and off decreases the life of the bulb, it doesn't hurt the wiring...

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe i didnt make it clear enough, i meant since my car doesnt have AUTO light feature. i leave my lights on purpose so when i unlock my car the lights come on. which from my understanding ****s alot of juice out the ballast onto our wiring.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to leave it like that for long periods of time. i would save it for emergencies like when you need to see outside of the car in the dark...

Although I am in agreement with you that it looks really cool to auto turn off at night... chicks dig it..

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
maybe i didnt make it clear enough, i meant since my car doesnt have AUTO light feature. i leave my lights on purpose so when i unlock my car the lights come on. which from my understanding ****s alot of juice out the ballast onto our wiring.
You were clear. The lights turning on for 20 seconds is not going to damage the wiring. If it did you couldn't drive at night because the same amount of current is flowing through the wires for much longer. Your OEM halogen low beams are 55W, the wires can handle 55W. The only thing you are affecting by the quick turn-on/turn-off is bulb life.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the constant on/off effects the ballast a lot more than the bulbs. If you're using a relay harness your wiring will be fine.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You were clear. The lights turning on for 20 seconds is not going to damage the wiring. If it did you couldn't drive at night because the same amount of current is flowing through the wires for much longer. Your OEM halogen low beams are 55W, the wires can handle 55W. The only thing you are affecting by the quick turn-on/turn-off is bulb life.
YEA I'm with Joe on this one...he knows what he talkin bout

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the auto headlight feature in my car. Now isn't the effect the same to keep the head light in "Auto" or in "on", when I turn the ignition off? Can I always keep the headlight in "Auto", even during the day? Would this create unnecessary strain on the battery? I am a little confused regarding what is the best position for the headlights. If I always turn the headlight off when I turn the ignitioin off, then what is the point of having the auto headlight feature. My question may seem to be naive to some of you but it is a little confusing to me and if one of you have a definite answer to this I shall really appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have the auto headlight feature in my car. Now isn't the effect the same to keep the head light in "Auto" or in "on", when I turn the ignition off? Can I always keep the headlight in "Auto", even during the day? Would this create unnecessary strain on the battery? I am a little confused regarding what is the best position for the headlights. If I always turn the headlight off when I turn the ignitioin off, then what is the point of having the auto headlight feature. My question may seem to be naive to some of you but it is a little confusing to me and if one of you have a definite answer to this I shall really appreciate it. Thank you.
I leave my headlights on auto and have since I bought the car in 2008. I'm still on the original battery. The only time I turn the headlights to off is if the car is not going to be driven for 2 weeks or more.

The difference between on and auto is if they are set to on, they will be on. If set to auto, they will stay off until the sensor on your dash determines it's too dark and then they will turn on automatically. It's fine to leave them on auto all the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I leave my headlights on auto and have since I bought the car in 2008. I'm still on the original battery. The only time I turn the headlights to off is if the car is not going to be driven for 2 weeks or more.

The difference between on and auto is if they are set to on, they will be on. If set to auto, they will stay off until the sensor on your dash determines it's too dark and then they will turn on automatically. It's fine to leave them on auto all the time.
Thank you very much. This is the answer I am looking for. What about the fog lights? If I ever turn it on during the night, I have to remember to turn it off during the day, right? Otherwise the fog lights will be on during the day when I start the car. I guess, the fog lights are not linked with the "Auto" feature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you very much. This is the answer I am looking for. What about the fog lights? If I ever turn it on during the night, I have to remember to turn it off during the day, right? Otherwise the fog lights will be on during the day when I start the car. I guess, the fog lights are not linked with the "Auto" feature.
They are linked. The fogs cannot be on if the headlight is not on.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i think that if its on, its on and using the voltage, weather it is on for 1 sec or 8 hours

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
FWIW , The auto-on light option does put small drain on battery when car is standing , I forget the amount and would not worry if you use vehicle at least once a week but for prolonged standing its good /better to leave it auto-on off .

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, I left my headlights with HIDs and Foglights in the "On" position for two years straight. No worries. It'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts