Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed Led turn arrows in their side mirrors? Planning on doing this little project down the line and wondering how hard is it to take this on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Has anyone installed Led turn arrows in their side mirrors? Planning on doing this little project down the line and wondering how hard is it to take this on.
I've consider something like that for mine, but would really prefer to have the turn signal built into the mirror housing, the same as some of the nicer new cars do (still trying to figure out how to do it without spending a ton of $).

Scott C.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I've consider something like that for mine, but would really prefer to have the turn signal built into the mirror housing, the same as some of the nicer new cars do (still trying to figure out how to do it without spending a ton of $).

Scott C.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to drill a small hole in the housing to run the wires, and follow the mirror motor harness into the cabin. Personally I'm satisfied that the headlights have a side-indicator built in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Scott C.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking and going do to... the arrows are going be insided of the mirror. I don't think this project is going to cost that much Vs. muth led arrows wants somewhere also most 200 bucks.

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
674 Posts

·
674 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm thinking and going do to... the arrows are going be insided of the mirror. I don't think this project is going to cost that much Vs. muth led arrows wants somewhere also most 200 bucks.
I did it on my old accord. Idk how well the led would work since we have heated mirrors though. although the shark racing DIY shows them doing it to a car with the heater element.

Shark Racing DIY

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to drill a small hole in the housing to run the wires, and follow the mirror motor harness into the cabin. Personally I'm satisfied that the headlights have a side-indicator built in.
I can't speak for newer models or the sedan variety for that matter, but the headlights on the 2008 coupe do not have turn indicators built into the sides. Those are just parking lights or something, they don't blink with the turn signals.

·
4,057 Posts
I can't speak for newer models or the sedan variety for that matter, but the headlights on the 2008 coupe do not have turn indicators built into the sides. Those are just parking lights or something, they don't blink with the turn signals.
*Goes to garage with keys*

You're right. They only turn on with the headlights on and aren't tied to the turn signal.

EDIT: I'm going to see if I can come up with a hack that converts the side indicators into turn signals when the normal turn signal is activated. Going to have to be careful with this one since I'm messing with a critical safety feature....
While I'm at it I need to look into a kill switch on the high beam brake lights. Don't want a cop being able to see one slamming on the brakes....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did it on my old accord. Idk how well the led would work since we have heated mirrors though. although the shark racing DIY shows them doing it to a car with the heater element.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6KtZZ43PHw

Shark Racing DIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2u7lWscKg
Yes I saw the same videos and that what got me interested. I also found the how to take the side mirrors apart from the service manual. Now the question is where to tap the wires too.

·
674 Posts
You can tap it into the signal wires in your headlights but will probally require you taking your bumper and headlights off. Unless you got super small arms that can bend in weird directions

or

You can tap it into the signal wires in your trunk You will just have to run it under under your panels and to your trunk.

I ran mines to the front headlights. I will soon be wiring up some relays to allow them to flash when I lock or unlock my car.

·
4,057 Posts
I'm going to attack the under dash fuse box wires. Specifically my plan is to T a relay into the wires that power the turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster.

Quick whiteboard diagram:

yeah.png

I still have to (re)find which part of the under dash fuse box corresponds to P wires and F wires. Hopefully neither is on the back of it or it's a PITA to get to them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It still looks cheap! I've consider something like that for mine, but would really prefer to have the turn signal built into the mirror housing, the same as some of the nicer new cars do.

·
674 Posts
Well if you had the sedan you can go after the Inspire Mirrors. For coupe youre SOL.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Well if you had the sedan you can go after the Inspire Mirrors. For coupe youre SOL.
Admittedly, I have not researched this and assume the 2013/2014 (9th gen) sedan mirrors will not fit an 8th gen. If they did, then that might be another options since those seem to have most of this stuff built-in now.

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
To answer my only question (and any future questions), see the following pics (left is 2014 and right is 2012). The easy answer is no. :thumbsdow

Scott C.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
heres mine

[/URL][/IMG]

you basically just have to run the wire to your turn signal and remove the actual mirror glass from the plastic behind it. no need to drill anything. i got my leds from ebay and you stick them right behind the mirror glass than put it back together. they look wayyyy better at night

1 - 20 of 21 Posts