Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the new Corolla?!

In my rear view mirror last night, I saw a small car with good looking headlights. I thought it was some new euro car, but as it passed by, I realized it was a Corolla. I could tell that it had projector headlights. I also assumed the guy just dropped in a plug-and-play HID kit.

Anyways, I read on their website, LED projector headlights are STANDARD on the Corolla. I'm not sure if LED's are brighter than HID's, but they definitely looked better on the road than halogens.

It just made me think, when will Honda get progressive with their lighting? They made a step in the right direction with projectors on all Accords. I hope they will provide an LED or HID option in the future for at least the "luxury" models of Accords.

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe one of the models on the new Accord has an option to come with LED headlights - like the ones on the new Acura's and BMW's. However, the 2013 EX-L or Touring (again, don't quote me on this) comes with HIDs.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe one of the models on the new Accord has an option to come with LED headlights - like the ones on the new Acura's and BMW's. However, the 2013 EX-L or Touring (again, don't quote me on this) comes with HIDs.
Some 9th gen Accords have LED headlights. None have HID headlights.

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
Some 9th gen Accords have LED headlights. None have HID headlights.
Yep.

The EX-L V6s (both coupe and sedan) have LED DRLs with halogen headlamps.
The EX-L V6 Touring Sedan has LED headlights and DRLs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is there an advantage to LED as opposed to HID (in a proper housing)?

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
Light emitting diodes can be any shape, size, color, brightness, or configuration you want. They are the most efficient form of illumination in existence. They are also about as trouble free as it gets: LEDs rarely burn out.

The fact they've been around for 40+ years and just now getting into exterior vehicle illumination is beyond me. I've always known LEDs are far superior to halogens and xenon gas charged HIDs. I guess they've been more expensive to make for the brightness requirements of headlights than I thought. But like I said, LEDs have been around so long I would have thought they would be super cheap now.

Soon your household lighting will be LED too.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
The reason LEDs at "late" coming to vehicles is because, although LEDs have been around for decades, getting them bright enough to function as vehicle lighting in the harsh conditions vehicles live in has only been available in the last couple of decades. On top of that there are strict power requirements for LEDs. They require clean and regulated power, something that is foreign to the automotive electrical system. So every OEM LED is driven by special circuitry that stops thermal runaway of the LED and stops voltage spikes destroying LEDs. This technology was not available in packaging suitable to automotive use 20+ years ago. And this is why most aftermarket plug in LED bulbs are inevitably doomed to fail.

Regarding LED headlights - they should last a long time, yes, but the issue is going to become one of outer lens fading/hazing/deteriorating, especially in the American market where abrasive/UV protective headlight coatings are always at least 3 years behind the coatings used in the rest of the world. So, in the American market at least, we're going to get to a point where the current generation of LED headlights need replacing in 5-7 years due to lens deterioration and replacements are going to be very expensive as compared to halogen/HID housings.

LED headlights are still quite expensive to make. They have unique electrical driver requirements and require a substantial amount of heat sinking. They may be efficient but at intensities bright enough for headlight use they get HOT.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
From a functional perspective, no. In fact the best OEM HID headlights are still superior in objective performance to most current OEM LED setups.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From a functional perspective, no. In fact the best OEM HID headlights are still superior in objective performance to most current OEM LED setups.
That is what I had believed, with prior vehicles having OEM HIDs I was always impressed with their functionality. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before LEDs catch up.

Good information thanks! :thmsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts