Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my brakes and rotors replaced today, along with a brake line flush, and when i was driving home, I noticed that my brakes are significantly less sensitive than they were before the service. I have Akebono ProACTs with R1 Concepts rotors. I don't think the parts are the problem, but is this just part of the bedding process, or maybe there wasn't enough fluid pumped back into the lines? I like it so that i can just touch the brakes and they will stop; in their current state, i have to depress it halfway just to start stopping, then all the way in to fully stop. I don't think that's normal, I will be taking it back in tomorrow, but what are your thoughts?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
May be just the bedding in, but if it doesn't improve there may be a little air in the lines. Bleed the brakes, if it doesn't improve.

PS: Did you use the slotted rotors, or the blanks in the rear? Just wondering.

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually went out for a little test drive, and it seems to have gotten better, but still no where near how sensitive they were for the stock parts.

Yea i did put the slotteds up front, and blanks in the rear. I'll probably put the other slotted ones up for sale in the coming week, because i have no use for them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I actually went out for a little test drive, and it seems to have gotten better, but still no where near how sensitive they were for the stock parts.

Yea i did put the slotteds up front, and blanks in the rear. I'll probably put the other slotted ones up for sale in the coming week, because i have no use for them.
Did you do the work yourself or have the shop do it?

Give the brakes a couple hundred miles of city driving to break in. If the pedal feel is not back to where it should be, re-bleed the system (or go back and demand the shop do it).

Make sure to use Honda brake fluid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well you have to take into account the fact that ceramic brakes by nature are not as instantly grippy. They have a more progressive feel that gets better as they heat up. That combined with air in the lines would make for a pretty bad brake feel. But those pads are supposed to be very nice and last forever, perfect daily driver pad. I just bought the same ones myself and will be installing them at a later date. I used Akebono ceramics on my other car and they feel great.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Could be a little air in the lines, I have had air in the lines before and made a few Panic stops engaging the ABS and the air worked its way to the top and my pedal became much firmer. You could give that a try, by the way Honda brake fluid is not required, the only requirement is that the brake fluid be DOT 3.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
let them break in a little. Give the brake pad a chance to put some material on the rotor

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just had my brakes and rotors replaced today, along with a brake line flush, and when i was driving home, I noticed that my brakes are significantly less sensitive than they were before the service. I have Akebono ProACTs with R1 Concepts rotors. I don't think the parts are the problem, but is this just part of the bedding process, or maybe there wasn't enough fluid pumped back into the lines? I like it so that i can just touch the brakes and they will stop; in their current state, i have to depress it halfway just to start stopping, then all the way in to fully stop. I don't think that's normal, I will be taking it back in tomorrow, but what are your thoughts?
IMHO slotted or drilled rotors have no business on any Honda Accord. The slots are not helping with reduced friction surface.

I have the ProACT's on the wife's 2003. They definitely have less initial bite than the OEM pads. For the first time in 10 years I can get in her car and apply the brakes the first time without feeling like I am trying to throw my family through the windshield and following nasty comments from my wife. I could not STAND the OEM pads. 3 sets of OEM's cracked causing a wonderful grinding noise.

Once the pads bedded in bite did improve from initial install and while they have less initial bite than OEM they seem to stop the car every bit as well as the stock pads. They haven't made a grinding noise yet which is also wonderful.

FU OEM 2003 pads!!

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll probably give it the rest of the week and see how they turn out. I personally liked the extra sensitivity that you're talking about Salami, made me feel more in control of the car. In any case, it's good to hear that this is normal for new brakes; this is my first replacement for the car, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In my experience the initial bite will get better but no where near the OEM pads, your experience may differ. I personally find I have more control since it is not so easy to upset the balance of the car with minimal pushing of the pedal. Every time I applied the brakes the front end severely dove. I do have to move my foot more over the OEM's but I didn't personally need any adjustment time since that is what I am used to in my cars. My wife mentioned difference in pedal feel but very quickly adapted and now likes it better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i know what you mean after i replaced them on my car. that's completely normal even if you bled your brakes. you need to do the bedding in process. that'll transfer your new pad material onto your new rotors. once bedded in you will have much greater braking power. get on the highway and hit 60 mph. then press your brakes a little harder than you normally would about 3-4 times to heat up your rotors. get back up to 60 mph then brake hard (don't engage ABS) down to 15-20 mph. speed back up to 60 mph and repeat 7-9 more times. brakes may even smoke but that's ok. then cruise control without using brakes for 10 minutes so rotors can cool down. just make sure you never come to a complete stop during the bedding in process (that's why i suggest you hit the highway). just be careful of police and other cars because they may think you're DUI! i did bedding in process on my car at 1am in the morning. hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Bed in the pads like 2003AccordV6 said.

I did 60 down to 10mph hard brakes 10 times until my brakes were smoking, then leave them to naturally cool overnight. Next day, the brake pedal feel is totally different.

You don't want to do this on the highway, very dangerous because everyone else is traveling at high speed. I did it behind my house on the back roads late at night so I wasn't catching anyone's attention.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Lot's of us become less sensitive at times- especially after doing manly things like working on our cars. Just watch a "chick" flick with your girlfriend and you'll be in her good graces again. I recommend Love, Actually. It's the feel-good romantic holiday comedy of the decade.

How to bed your brakes:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

But trust your gut- if the brakes don't feel right there may be air in the brake lines due to improper bleeding. It happens.

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
Make sure to use Honda brake fluid.
Why? I've used DOT3 fluid with good results . . . anything different about the Honda fluid?

+1 on the bedding in process. It's like a relationship - new pads and rotors need to get to know to each other and get all hot and steamy before they really work together well.

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, i'm glad i'm not the only one. I actually had a scare the other day, i braked hard to avoid hitting a speed bump, and i felt my brakes skip on the rotor. Is this because i haven't taken the time to bed them yet?

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP

What is your current opinion on the brakes?
I have been very happy with them. Since I posted the question here, the braking has gotten significantly better, even though the brake pedal isn't as sensitive as the OEM, where you tap it and you fly through the windshield, but i feel like the braking power is better that OEM. I know many people on here say that slotted rotors have no place on our cars, but I'm happy with their performance thus far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts