Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Accord LX-p with an i4 engine and about 125,000 miles on the odometer. I'm going to be giving the car to my daughter to take with her to school. As I'm in California and she will be in Texas, I'm doing things to the car so she doesn't have to worry about them. I would consider replacing the alternator but only if I do the work myself (save on labor) and if I would expect it to die soon.

How long have your alternators lasted in your Accords?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I changed my alternator on my 04 @ 400K, only because I thought the brushes may have been worn. Alternators can fail anytime leaving someone stranded on the highway, etc. Change it if only for peace of mind along with a new Conti-Elite serpentine belt & a new battery if the battery is more than 3 yrs. old. Spark Plugs been changed ? Get a top end (carbon) cleaning done. BG44 in a tank of gas before she leaves, change transmission fluid, coolant.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,286 Posts
^^ This

·
Registered
17 Posts
2004 Accord at 185,000 miles bought Oct 2004, still on original Denso alternator. Probably will replace pre-emptively soon.

2009 CRV ate 2 alternators in 11 years. #1 factory Denso which lasted around 140,000 miles, then #2 alternator, a Denso rebuilt which failed after 150,000 miles. Got #3, a Denso rebuilt at 290,000 miles and then the CRV got sold at 293,000 miles.

Depending on your model, changing the alternator might be simple if you do it at the same time when changing the serpentine belt.

(sorry for the bump. but i was thinking the exact same).

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,247 Posts
my alt on my car never died but it would fluctuate voltage and cause a random misfire. only 120K on it.

replaced with a factory denso rebuild. seems to be all good now thank god

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2008 EX-L V6 had the original alternator go out at 205,000 miles. It stopped charging. For the few weeks leading up to it, I would hear a bearing noise on startup like a bad pulley. Then the whine grew consistent after warmup, then it stopped charging. It is easy then to figure out which pulley is making the noise.

·
Madiganistan/Chicago
132 Posts
I would make sure to teach her how to check/add oil, tire pressure, etc the basics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts