Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but could not find a post on this. I have read a lot of the threads about daytime running lamp retro fits. However, I do not like the individual LED look. There are several new cars on the market that have a solid white light verses many LED's. Has anyone done anything similar to their 9th Gen? Here is the website I found them at. Looking for feedback and thoughts.

car roof light Picture - More Detailed Picture about 2x 24"(60cm) New Car styling strip/ dual color emitting led daytime running light For Renault Skoda With Yellow turning 3 Colors Picture in Daytime Running Lights from AUTO mechanist | Aliexpress.c

Attachments

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
I have searched but could not find a post on this. I have read a lot of the threads about daytime running lamp retro fits. However, I do not like the individual LED look. There are several new cars on the market that have a solid white light verses many LED's. Has anyone done anything similar to their 9th Gen? Here is the website I found them at. Looking for feedback and thoughts.

car roof light Picture - More Detailed Picture about 2x 24"(60cm) New Car styling strip/ dual color emitting led daytime running light For Renault Skoda With Yellow turning 3 Colors Picture in Daytime Running Lights from AUTO mechanist | Aliexpress.c
They're going to be barely visible during the day. Don't let the pictures fool you. The LED DRLs in the Accord appear so bright during the day due to the reflectors that are built into the headlight. Those reflectors are able to effectively 'collect' and reflect all the light in one direction (which is what allows them to appear so bright.

So there is no way to implant a solid tube LED DRL and have it be effective. Unless you're willing to tear apart the headlights, dremel out the reflectors, and try to find a way to implant the reflectors and LEDs from a Mercedes, Audi, GMC, etc.

Which you COULD do. But I'm assuming you want a simple solution since you're contemplating sticking a glow-stick in your headlights to begin with. Hehe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess "Glow Stick" hit the nail on the head. I was also contemplating getting the LED strip from EXLED and experiment inserting the strip into some sort of plastic white tube prior to install to get the same effect. All kinds of ideas running through my head, but I know what the final vision is. Thanks for your input.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
No problem, man. I just don't want you to wast your time and money for disappointing results.

There was a guy on audizine who actually took apart his headlight just so he could examine the LED DRL. I suppose his curiosity got the best of him. I can't find the link at the moment, but it was a really interesting read, nonetheless. All of the really bright factory DRLs that you see have one thing in common: reflectors.

I haven't taken apart my V6 headlights, so I can't really offer a technical opinion about them. But I can tell just by looking at them that each cluster of LEDs is entirely surrounded by a reflector (6 on each side). So MAYBE you could modify the reflectors so that they weren't individually segmented into 6, but the LEDs would still be somewhat spaced out, so I don't think you could really obtain that mono-strip look.

All these companies claim to produce LED DRL strips that are extremely bright and blah blah blah... They aren't.
A perfect example is the exLED headlights (which utilize the exLED DRL strip that you can buy individually and then slide into the headlight) and they also have LED halos around the lo-beams, and switchback LEDs for turn signals. In pictures they look GREAT, and seem to be a promising solution. But cameras and lighting can be easily adjusted to give that appearance.

Here's a couple pics of their headlights: ImageUploadedByAG Free1433961107.102585.jpg Daytime ImageUploadedByAG Free1433961128.635671.jpg Nighttime

Both look pretty damn promising right?

Actual installation pictures during the daytime with an unfiltered lens from head-on: ImageUploadedByAG Free1433961191.684758.jpg Right side pic is of a couple, and yes, the sedan pictures aren't of the actual exLED headlights that have all 6000 LEDs or whatever, but they are OEM Honda headlights with the exLED strip and halo added.

As you can see, they're HARDLY visible during the daytime. Now, I'm sure you've seen plenty of Accords with OEM LED DRLs on the road during the daytime, which are nearly impossible to ignore. They're much brighter.

While you may not be a fan of the segmented LED DRL look, it's really all the Accord has to offer at this point. I actually like the look. Now, if you were to ask me what I thought of the old Sonatas that had the segmented LED DRLs on the front bumper, I'd express my distaste for them. They're not very bright and they're spaced apart so far that they look like some cheap aftermarket exLED add-on. Lexus also used to go for the segmented look, but the LED clusters weren't big enough for my liking (again, they look cheap to me).

The Accord is on its own, though. They're segmented, but they're in larger segments. I like it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts