Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With our electronic steering being so light, do you feel that in High winds, your car blows around more easily?
Or is it just me?

I have an HFP coupe, and today the wind was blowing around my car pretty bad.
I have not experienced that in my previous cars.

I cant remember if my speed3 had electronic steering or not, but it was stiffer than the accord's steering.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
With our electronic steering being so light, do you feel that in High winds, your car blows around more easily?
Or is it just me?

I have an HFP coupe, and today the wind was blowing around my car pretty bad.
I have not experienced that in my previous cars.

I cant remember if my speed3 had electronic steering or not, but it was stiffer than the accord's steering.
Depends how fast the wind is and how fast you're going. I but a random gust of air, that yes I feel it. You should try driving the Fit @75mph, I felt like I was going to take off lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends how fast the wind is and how fast you're going. I but a random gust of air, that yes I feel it. You should try driving the Fit @75mph, I felt like I was going to take off lol

Was about the same gust speeds and driving speeds as experienced in my other cars where i did NOT feel the car move as much. Maybe I am feeling it more because if the wind blows against the car, it translates into the steering wheel easier? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Was about the same gust speeds and driving speeds as experienced in my other cars where i did NOT feel the car move as much. Maybe I am feeling it more because if the wind blows against the car, it translates into the steering wheel easier? I dunno.
Don't worry about it too much. Normal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im just wondering if this is the cause of the light electronic steering. If stiffer steering would alleviate the feeling of being "blown around"

The weather is crappy where I live. LOL

Im not saying something is wrong with the car.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I was just driving my (8G) a couple of days ago and hit some mild crosswinds at 85 mph. For the most part I felt the wheel tugging in my hands, and I just had to pay a bit more attention to hold it center to avoid weaving around in my lane.

You would think that with electric steering, driving through crosswinds would be even easier since the motors could just lock up unless there's a steering wheel input. Then again maybe Honda programs it to provide a certain amount of "feedback" so it doesn't feel disconnected to the wheels.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Compared to my 4,440 lb Magnum I feel like my accord has a Sail on it...

Jay

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
karfreek.

Compared to my old speed3, this accord feels like it has a sail on it as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My Touring feels better in crosswinds than my 2006 did.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My 2009 Civic was bad. The Accord is a bit better, but still gives in to high gusts. My girlfriends old Mercedes E350 and my old Volvo 740 Turbo were unwavering in comparsion - almost like driving tanks.

Seems to me like a "Honda thing" judging by the other responses above.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The new, 9th Gen, Accord electronic steering is light. I did not like it at all. The fatter, lower profile, 18" Sport tires made it much better. A notable improvement in steering effort and controlability in gusty side winds....with no significant ride penalty.

·
Registered
330 Posts
OMG I thought I was the only one. Im constantly moving the steering wheel to keep me from moving out of my lane.

My 4th gen maxima was nowhere near this finicky. But then again it was on coilovers, had sway bars and strut tower bars.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
We have some horrendous winds out here in New Mexico, especially during the Spring. Tractor-trailers can be blown off the roads completely by straight-line winds.

This Spring was about as bad as I recall in the years I've lived in the state.

In the past when I had to do a lot of driving for my job at the end of the day, I'd be exhausted from fighting the wheel, this being in the days of hydraulic-assisted steering.

Now, I don't have to do that much driving anymore, but doing what driving I did this last Spring, I can't really say that the wind had a more or lesser effect than in the past.

I drove through the canyon two weeks ago during a winter storm and the winds were quite strong, but I was able to control the car about as well as ever and perhaps a bit easier.

Fundamentally, I don't think there is an appreciable difference.

Im constantly moving the steering wheel to keep me from moving out of my lane.
I've heard this complaint on this board quite a lot, even when winds aren't in question. Personally, I don't have this problem, unless the wind is blowing me all over the road, which they definitely will, regardless of the type of steering.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've heard this complaint on this board quite a lot, even when winds aren't in question. Personally, I don't have this problem, unless the wind is blowing me all over the road, which they definitely will, regardless of the type of steering.
Yeah its really annoying. I always thought it was the wind, but now that I think about it, I find myself doing it even when theres no wind out.

super weird.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It is probably the thin eco Touring tires they have decided to use for the Accord to "save" fuel.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I don't seem to notice the steering being too light on the highway. Any strong gusty winds can toss a car around.

·
Grinding Gears
269 Posts
I don't feel the car being pushed around by wind, but I definitely agree that the electronic steering in the Accord gives way for extremely light steering.

Not that it's really a bad thing though; I've grown to like it. :)

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
My TSX was extremely nervous on the highway due to the dead spot in the steering. I literally would wander all over the lane on the highway. The Accord is nowhere nearly as bad.

Wind also blows the car depending on it and the car's speed, it has nothing to do with the steering.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Complaints about the electric steering seem to be focused mostly on the V6 model which has a different electric steering package. Have seen in the forums here that some people complained about the V6 model not tracking straight at highway speeds as well.

"With an assist motor mounted on the rack for packaging reasons (rather than the pinion-mounted motor on four-cylinder models), the Accord V-6's steering is, by comparison, dreadful. It isolates the driver far better from torque steer than last year's hydraulically assisted system, but the programming is in need of a major revision. Effort seems to change on a whim, and in quick transitions, the system continues to want to turn the wheel after you've stopped."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1209_2013_honda_accord/viewall.html#ixzz2mhI52D00

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Complaints about the electric steering seem to be focused mostly on the V6 model which has a different electric steering package. Have seen in the forums here that some people complained about the V6 model not tracking straight at highway speeds as well.

"With an assist motor mounted on the rack for packaging reasons (rather than the pinion-mounted motor on four-cylinder models), the Accord V-6's steering is, by comparison, dreadful. It isolates the driver far better from torque steer than last year's hydraulically assisted system, but the programming is in need of a major revision. Effort seems to change on a whim, and in quick transitions, the system continues to want to turn the wheel after you've stopped."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1209_2013_honda_accord/viewall.html#ixzz2mhI52D00
The EPS on the V6 is fine 98% of the time. But, in a high-speed hairpin turn, it lacks the appropriate confidence-inspiring feedback. The result is: the driver is forced to slow down because he doesn't trust 100% the car is doing what he expects.

There are also times (very rarely) when you will be wanting to track straight, and the car drifts to the left or right -- almost like you are experiencing a flat. Then, you'll tell yourself it must be the road or the wind, but logic tells me it was the EPS having a momentary period of vagueness.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts