Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat similar to this, however only happens when turning steering wheel on mine (Accord Sedan Sport),

Basically turn on headlights and interior lights, turn steering wheel. Do your lights somewhat dim (obviously can only be seen at night) while you are turning the steering wheel? I'm thinking it is related to the new EPS power steering. But shouldn't the car have enough power so the flow is consistent? Maybe it's that small battery?

·
Banned
784 Posts
Try it at higher engine PRM

Somewhat similar to this, however only happens when turning steering wheel on mine (Accord Sedan Sport),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndmZ8o6If9A

Basically turn on headlights and interior lights, turn steering wheel. Do your lights somewhat dim (obviously can only be seen at night) while you are turning the steering wheel? I'm thinking it is related to the new EPS power steering. But shouldn't the car have enough power so the flow is consistent? Maybe it's that small battery?
Please try it at a higher RPM and see if this problem goes away or still shows up. If it goes away then the alternator is probably somewhat weak. I know this is not in the manual so take it for what it is worth.

·
Banned
784 Posts
My 13 LX behaves the same

It does not occur at higher RPM.
That is what I thought. Looks like it is only doing it when the RPM is at an idle range. When I had the RPM above 1000, it was not doing it. Not sure if I am going to take it in as it does not bother me that much. It could get worse with rear defroster, AC (to run the front defroster) and lights ON. Thanks for confirming my observation and not calling me crazy!

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,331 Posts
IF the system is in good shape, and when you turn the wheel it dims in any way, it means the batt is being taxed. You can't ignore this, as long term the battt is being worn out. We had this on the I4 8th gens with the A/C being cycled. It's one of the reasons I replaced my battery on delivery as the battery for an I4 has terrible reserve power and CCA (410). Any good system should not be dimming anything at idle when turning the wheel, with A/c and lights on full strength.. Over a period of years or months, you are draining the life out of the batt and it will leave you with a premature failure at a time that may be dangerous to you. Just tested mine against same type gaarge door, no dimming whatsoever, even with A/c on.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Don't you trust the smart Honda engineers?

IF the system is in good shape, and when you turn the wheel it dims in any way, You can't ignore this, as it's taxing the system in some way. It's one of the reasons I replaced my battery on delivery as the battery for an I4 has terrible reserve power and CCA (410). Any good system should not be dimming anything at idle when turning the wheel, with A/c and lights on full strength.. Over a period of years or months, you are ****ing the life out of the batt and it will leave you with a premature failure at a time that may be dangerous to you.
The manual does not say anything about that... Don't you trust the Honda engineers? I did not see anywhere in the manual that you have to change the battery because it is insufficient. Maybe my LX does it because I have 0.6qt more oil in it... Bitter sarcasm aside, changing the battery probably the best option but Honda should replace it with a higher capacity battery.

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,331 Posts
The "trust" thing always comes up, esp from people that just want to argue with me. So be it. I don't trust their decision on two things - 8th gen rear brakes and a the 410 batt. I don't understand why they shortchanged the size of both. Not sure about 9th rears, have not looked yet. There, now it's out there.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Not trying to argue with you!

low batt voltage.less than 12.0 will do this...
or
bad pos or neg connection...check the neg 1st....
This was your original recommendation. Pretty much useless. I am not trying to pick an argument with you. If you are wiling to to dish it out then one must be willing to take it as well. Instead of giving someone an useless recommendation, think it through. Peace and merry Christmas.

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,331 Posts
No it's not useless at all - I am assuming in the 1st suggestion that the battery design and loads are ok, and if so, then the connections or the battery itself is bad.

But after my first post, more than one person is reporting it, which means it's a possible design problem. Then the system is overtaxed and battery is too small..

I can dish it out and take it. Try and keep up. Both my suggestions are correct, depending on how the system is diagnosed....

·
Registered
44 Posts
No it's not useless at all - I am assuming in the 1st suggestion that the battery design and loads are ok, and if so, then the connections or the battery itself is bad.

But after my first post, more than one person is reporting it, which means it's a possible design problem. Then the system is overtaxed and battery is too small..

I have already noticed my lights dimming at 500 miles.

I can dish it out and take it. Try and keep up. Both my suggestions are correct, depending on how the system is diagnosed....
Glen, are you saying your lights were dimming with the stock battery and when u replaced it with a larger battery, the problem went away?

I read your original (now closed) thread and it wasn't clear what symptoms you were having. It would be interesting to complain to Honda and replicate lights dimming and rpms fluctuating then replace the battery in front of them and eliminate the symptoms. I'm sure this would fall under "normal operation" in their eyes. Personally, I'm gonna ask for mine to be replaced with a v6 battery under warranty.

I will likely upgrade mine and put the stock Honda battery in another car I'm selling.

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,331 Posts
no, I replaced my batt on delivery, as I saw the 8th gen accords dim in a/c/lights use...the 9th is the essentially same elec system with elec steering added so it stands to reason, they have added loads but not reserves....

BUT I have not reviewed the changes for 13....it still very well could be a bad ground, which is the usual problem when things dim on use in any system....

The key here is are just a few doing it? (then bad ground/batt) or all of them doing it?...then we have a load capacity problem.

I don't know the answer..I guess we all should check...

I may put my stock batt back in tomorrow night to see....retired with plenty of time....

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Perhaps the ELD (Electrical Load Detector) is still partially contributing to the dimming, most people don't notice it or are not concerned with it, but a few do, the ELD is suppose to help improve fuel economy by reducing the alternator output therefore reducing the resistence the alternator creates to the engine driving it.

Keep in mind a smaller therefore lighter battery is likely not only less costly for Honda, but will also contribute to slightly better fuel economy when all the weight savings are added up, V6 typically needs a larger battery than the I4 due to greater resistence from the engine during starting.

So there are reasons why certain decisions are made by Honda, some are for technical reasons, some are for business economic reasons, some are both.

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,331 Posts
Perhaps the ELD (Electrical Load Detector) is still partially contributing to the dimming, most people don't notice it or are not concerned with it, but a few do, the ELD is suppose to help improve fuel economy by reducing the alternator output therefore reducing the resistence the alternator creates to the engine driving it.
Av -
I remember others talking about the ELD, I just noticed when I went to my bigger batt all my dimming disappeared, I have none in the '13 now, and like it that way...probably because the ELD is cutting the alt, but my batt has room to make up for it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone having this issue should take it to Honda and replicate the issue. I don't expect Honda to do anything but if enough people complain, it could lead to a production change, extended battery warranty, tsb, or even a recall. Gotta start somewhere.

Just keep repeating to each level of the food chain "the camry's lights never dimmed like this".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had the car for over a month, haven't had any issues. Just noticed this yesterday when standing at a red light behind another car. All seems to be working fine. I made this posting to see if it is normal behavior or not. I think this is something to keep any eye on in case any other electric issues arise.

Definitely interested in seeing if a bigger battery helps with this.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
I've had the car for over a month, haven't had any issues. Just noticed this yesterday when standing at a red light behind another car. All seems to be working fine. I made this posting to see if it is normal behavior or not. I think this is something to keep any eye on in case any other electric issues arise.

Definitely interested in seeing if a bigger battery helps with this.
If the battery was underpowered this should've been happening from first day.

Anyway, my suggestion for you is to take the car to dealership and let them figure it out. Car is still new and under warranty so might as well take it. They will guide you on what you should be doing:thmsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts