Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys this is my first post but I've been absorbing knowledge for a couple years now. I tried searching but haven't come up with anything.. so forgive me if this has been discussed

My problem: I was finishing up replacing my air filter when i set the ratchet down(not checking where it was landing) right on top of my positive battery terminal and the battery hold down causing a nice little spark. I wasn't too worried until I went to back the car out the garage and now it won't start :(

The symptoms: Lights will come on when I open the door and when I insert the key and turn to position one the radio will come on, however it seems like voltage is fluctuating at this point.(the dash lights will dim as other accessories are turned on?) Now as soon as I turn the key into the second position all lights go away. No clicking no spinning from the starter

I've used a multimeter and I'm getting 12.8 on the battery terminals, 12.8-12.6 when i turn the head lights on. I've followed the 12v all the way to the 100 amp battery fuse and again behind it and its fine. I've pulled EVERY fuse both under the hood and under the dash and none were popped.

I'm hoping that you guys can shed some light cause I'm feeling pretty boneheaded at the moment :headbash:

car is a 2005 accord v6 6mt

·
Registered
613 Posts
Did you just your fuses with a multimeter?

Sometime, a fuse is blown, but looks OK.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Where was the red battery terminal cover that is supposed to prevent accidental shorts like yours? :)
Are you sure the clutch is full depressed when try to start it?
If you simply shorted positive terminal to ground, no fuses should have blown as they were not in the short circuit path. You might try disconnecting the negative terminal for a few seconds to reset the ECM and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
This sounds like a bad battery or bad connection to the battery. I would take the battery up to an autoparts store that can test it for free and see if the external short caused one of the internal connections to become intermittent or shorted one cell. There are 6 cells in the battery each one provides 2.1 volts and are connected in series to provide 12.6 volts. If one cell has a bad connection or is shorted you can have the symptoms you describe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts