Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home the other other when i lost all power to the steering and car started to over heat, after looking under the hood I noticed the serpentine belt had came off. After closer examination i noticed it had came of because the "wheel" bellow the pulley but above the crank shaft had actually broke.

Any one have a clue on that this is called so i can start replacing it?, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
If that pulley with the big round holes in it is broken off, you need a water pump.

It's a somewhat involved replacement, requiring removal of the crank pulley.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's the pulley with the wholes, it literally broke apart in two pieces. I was thinking it might be the water pump, but when i look it up the pulley on the new water pump looks smaller and nothing like the broken one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take that back guys, I just went to the Checkers website, looked up the water pump and it looks like the part I need. For what ever reason when I looked it up earlier it was bringing up water pumps except the pulley looked nothing like the one I needed which was throwing me off in my search, thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Before you change the water pump, make sure the tensioner is good. They sometimes lock at full load on the belt, destroying the bearing in the water pump.

I would NOT go with an aftermarket pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing that ****s is the pump it self is fine, its just the pulley on the pump that broke.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
can you get the pulley out of there and take a pic of it.

Did it break into pieces or un-press itself off the water pump shaft?

Does the tensioner move freely?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All done, had to removed the alternator and pulley wheel to have better access and to the water pump. I reused the old radiator fluid but will replace it as soon as i pick up a gallon from Honda, thanks for your help guys ill post a pic of the pulley in a couple of min.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
135k miles, here are some pics of the water pump and the broken pulley. This is the first "major" problem I have had with the car, me being the second owner, my wife the first and she never had an issues with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
did anything ever hit it?
was the car ever in a wreck that pushed the right side rail into the pulley?

That's a very odd failure, for sure.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
did anything ever hit it?
was the car ever in a wreck that pushed the right side rail into the pulley?

That's a very odd failure, for sure.
Yea, I would be curious to know if the water pump turned freely after you took it off or did the pump seize causing the pulley to fail?

I would like to change my water pump out at 185K to be safe but I never heard of them going bad?

Must not have been to hard to replace?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I've only ever had 2 go bad, of this style. (external)

One a CRV under warranty at 24k, and a R18 Civic, but the pump was destroyed by a belt tensioner frozen at maximum tension.

Changing it isn't that bad on an Accord as there's much more room than on any Civic based chassis with a K engine. You do need to remove the front crank pulley and as the OP stated, sometimes the alternator to access the mounting bolts for the pump.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
All done, had to removed the alternator and pulley wheel to have better access and to the water pump. I reused the old radiator fluid but will replace it as soon as i pick up a gallon from Honda, thanks for your help guys ill post a pic of the pulley in a couple of min.
you will probably need just over a gallon since you had the pump off and for replacing the overflow jug fluid.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Garcia, dont leave us hanging. What caused this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know, the thing still spins freely, cars never been in an accident, tension pulley is fine, I would just guess failure on the water pump pulley? I picked up a gallon of type 2 coolant from Honda added it, cars been running great with no problems since.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't know, the thing still spins freely, cars never been in an accident, tension pulley is fine, I would just guess failure on the water pump pulley? I picked up a gallon of type 2 coolant from Honda added it, cars been running great with no problems since.
I just looked at my pulleys and noticed something about yours. The pulley that is attached to you broken water pump matches the pulley on my P/S pump and is not like the one on my water pump. The pulley on my water pump is a smooth non curved spoked pulley the same size (radius) as the p/s pump. My p/s pump pulley is a concaved one and the water pump is non-concaved with straight steel spokes. I wonder if someone had yours apart at some point and put the wrong one back on? I thought the pulley came with the pump, correct? Can the pulley even be taken off the pump?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
His water pump pulley looks like every K series I've serviced since he posted. There have been a couple that don't have the flat part where his broke, most do.

I've been looking to see if I see any cracks forming. So far none have shown any.

Just did a CRV compressor replacement (seized), and its water pump pulley was fine.

The pulley isn't easy to change, since its pressed on. The pump would probably be destroyed if you attempted to remove it without support tools for the pump shaft itself. Same goes to installing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts