Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Fujita CAI off my friend who sold his car. I'm a little nervous about putting it on. I've heard a lot of horror stories about water getting into the engine. I live in upstate NY and we have terrible long winters.

Does the intake actually make a difference performance wise?
Is the sound worth the risk?
Can anyone recommend something to keep the water out?

Thanks!

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Seems like too much of a risk, for such a small gain.

Now adding a Hood Scoop! LOL

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
590 Posts
Well I live in Chicago, we get the worst of all seasons over here, my buddy just takes it out in the Winter, you should be fine, just don't drive like a Maniac when it rains.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
It all depends on your decision making.
At most, you'll get a 5-10 hp boost. You won't be able to feel that from your butt. At all. You may *think* you feel it, but you can't.
I live in Chicago, where we suffer similar winters and rainstorms. I would NEVER put a CAI on my car around here. Hydrolocking your engine costs a fortune to repair, if you can. If you can't, you'll end up buying a new engine. Sound fun? How long would you keep the car if that happened (either scenario)?
Truth is, you'll get almost the same net gain (and sound) if you simply remove your intake resonator. Doing so will, at the very least, give you an idea of the sound your car will make with a CAI while giving you pretty much the same boost in power. Plus, you cannot possibly hydrolock the car this way. And it is free.
The problem is that the CAI has to be installed in such a way that the air intake is precariously close to the ground. A deep puddle or deep snow can easily get ****ed into the engine. Bad stuff.
If you lived in Arizona or LA, or anywhere mostly dry and level, I'd say go for it. New York or Chicago, I wouldn't. Too much risk for too little reward in my eyes.
I'm sure others will invariably tell you that hydrolocking is difficult. You be the judge. If you look at how low the intake will extend and take into consideration the type of terrain and weather you will be facing, you should be able to decide if the risk is worth it.
I spent a weekend in central NY last month. There were a lot of ups and downs on the roads there. During and after a rainstorm, I noticed lots of large puddles (particularly on the highway). I thought to myself as I slowed down to less than 15 miles per hour on the highway "That would have hydrolocked my buddy's Accord". He has a CAI.
It's up to you to assess your level of risk and what you are comfortable with. I like my car, especially because it always runs. 5-10 hp isn't worth the risk that I might ruin the engine due to some water or snow.

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
i had a fujita CAI, performance wise, it was a great product, sounded good and added felt and dynoed power.

however..simply being a CAI it was a pain in the ass to inspect and then clean.

i lived in socal..it did flash flood a couple times when i had it, but i drove around puddles and flooded areas. It was a headache tho.

one thing worth note..vtec.net dynoed a k&n short ram on the TSX and said it made good power still..and they have the same engine bay layout as us so short ram maybe worth a look.

·
Pragmatic Iconoclast
16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
you'll be fine as long as you:

1. Don't get the filter cone underwater (submerge the whole front bumper basically)

2. Don't drive through deep puddles with the throttle wide open

Use a little common sense basically.

The sound is really nice and gives the 2.4 some personality!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

1. Don't get the filter cone underwater (submerge the whole front bumper basically)

What he said. I have had mine on since the start of the year and driven it through downpours. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
^+1 same here. If you're really concerned, just slap a hydroshield over it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What he said. I have had mine on since the start of the year and driven it through downpours. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
I heard you picked that up from a real cool dude.

Anyway, I agree with this line of thought. It's still pretty high up when mounted.

·
Accord Power
480 Posts
The CAI do have a filteration system right? Common sense tells me they are like driving your accord without any filter, however, I know this is not true. But that also begs the question of how good the filteration system is.

To answer the question of letting rain in, just make sure you don't near the bottom of engine compartment.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
DON'T DO IT MY ENGINE IS HYDRO LOCKED AND I STILL DON'T HAVE IT AFTER A MONTH =(, if you decide you want it be cautious.

·
03 Accord coupe Ex 2.4L
428 Posts

^+1 same here. If you're really concerned, just slap a hydroshield over it and you should be fine.
It's a very nice mod. I'd say get one that can convert to SR for the winter months also AEM sells a bypass to help with this problem.

The CAI do have a filteration system right? Common sense tells me they are like driving your accord without any filter, however, I know this is not true. But that also begs the question of how good the filteration system is.

To answer the question of letting rain in, just make sure you don't near the bottom of engine compartment.
Yes they have filters.... to keep out dust and dirt. Most aps are also cleanable.

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
912 Posts
I live in CT and I have a Fujita F5 CAI. Had it for about 10 months now. Been through some crazy storms. I will be leaving mine for the winter. From my experience with CAI in this car and my civic just avoid large puddles and you should be fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
lol i too have a Fujita F5 CAI....i also added on a bypass valve on it... and ive had it for a year now and im still going! like everyone said use common sense .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts