Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i have an 06 Ex V6 6speed accord. My engine got flooded through the CAI with 42k miles, state farm wants to give me an engine from LKQ with 39k miles. Does anyone have any background on them? I haven't heard much about this company and I've tried to google it but not much comes out...

·
Registered
913 Posts
used engine is used. Its a crapshoot unfortunately. Nobody even the shop / dismantler knows how the engine is internally. For example browse the forums you will find cases of taken care of engines burning and having issues. No way to know what issues or such the engine has or how it was cared for. 39k is low miles for a engine. But if it got oil changes every 10k it could be near worn out... on the other hand if it was changed every 4k with synthetic.... Some of this can of course be told by looking through the oil fill for sludge, and or doing a compression check.

All this said I think the j30 is relatively trouble free engine compared to some.

Given you had a CAI / Mods though, I think your pretty lucky they are willing to cover water in the engine messed up through a mod.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah very true a used engine is a used engine. It just kinda ****s that this engine is coming from somewhere without inspection until upon arrival, does that make sense? LKQ has a one year warranty and state farm is going to give me an additional 2 so 3 years total. I think that's pretty good, just kinda scary not knowing what I'm getting till it actually arrives at the shop =/. Yeah I am lucky that it is covered I'm thankful for that no doubt.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Get it compression and leak down tested. If you really want piece of mind have them pull the valve cover. That will tell you a lot about how its been treated.

It may also be possible to find a vin tag or serial number on the engine which may allow you to run auto check on the donor car to see if there is any service history.

I think when its all said and done you'll be aok.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok well thanks for your advice I shall do all of that thanks =D

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my engine is like 1,000 for a long block. What I don't like about them is how they use the word recycled...

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
It's a nation-wide chain of auto salvage organization, it's well run though.

I had bought something from them a year ago, it came with a bit more cosmetic marks than their ad says, so I called them back to arrange a return and refund, the fellow on the phone said "We'll refund you the money, just keep the item since it's not worth shipping it back".

So I don't think you will have too much worry with the company's ethics, hopefully the 3 year total warranty between LKQ and your insurance company will ease your concern.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well that's pretty cool what they did for you. So you would say that you recommend them then right? The 3 year warranty does put me more at ease I just hope it doesn't break down after that third year.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh ok well thanks for the advice :thmsup:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
LKQ stands for Like, Kind, Quality. It is a standard insurance term, as well as the name of a company. (LKQOnline sells many parts on eBay). It is an OEM used part. Insurance is VERY different in Texas compared to any other State. Since your engine had 42K miles on it, you are not entitled to a brand-new engine with 0 miles. So they found an engine that is as close to yours as possible. If you are getting a 3 year warranty out of it, then no worries.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just wondering, how'd you flood your engine? Did you drive through a puddle or was it heavy rain? Just curious, hope you get a good replacement, man. :)

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LKQ stands for Like, Kind, Quality. It is a standard insurance term, as well as the name of a company. (LKQOnline sells many parts on eBay). It is an OEM used part. Insurance is VERY different in Texas compared to any other State. Since your engine had 42K miles on it, you are not entitled to a brand-new engine with 0 miles. So they found an engine that is as close to yours as possible. If you are getting a 3 year warranty out of it, then no worries.
Yeah Texas has some of the dumbest laws =/. Yeah 3 year warranty is good, but hopefully nothing happens to it after wards.

Just wondering, how'd you flood your engine? Did you drive through a puddle or was it heavy rain? Just curious, hope you get a good replacement, man. :)
It was actually a big puddle my street floods from curb to curb with a dip in the middle. I was trying to avoid it by hugging the curb on my right (I was turning right as well)on a 4 way stop, but a truck did a California stop and ran through the puddle splashing water all over my car, and I was able to feel the waves of the water hit my car and then it died =( right then and there I knew it flooded through the CAI. Yeah I'm still waiting for the engine to get here I've been without my accord for about 3 going on 4 weeks now because insurance poked butt.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Without the CAI, I wonder if the engine would have flooded.

(Yes, Texas is crazy with insurance regulations. So different than any other State).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wow, that makes me a bit worried now. I have never encountered a puddle before since I started driving and usually, I ease off the throttle during heavy rains. I've been considering a hydroshield for my CAI but I have not been able to find one with the proper dimensions for the Fujita cone filter.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Without the CAI, I wonder if the engine would have flooded.

(Yes, Texas is crazy with insurance regulations. So different than any other State).
To be honest with you I'm almost 100% sure it wouldn't have flooded just because the CAI ****ed it up if it weren't for that I probably would still have my car.

Wow, that makes me a bit worried now. I have never encountered a puddle before since I started driving and usually, I ease off the throttle during heavy rains. I've been considering a hydroshield for my CAI but I have not been able to find one with the proper dimensions for the Fujita cone filter.

Your intake basically has to be almost submerged in water if its puddles that u just run over like nothing it should be fine. Think of it this way if you have a vacuum hose held up next to a glass of water it might **** up just little drops of water but if you dunk that hose in the cup bye bye vacuum. Same basic concept with an intake. So what I'm going to do is just basically "cut" my CAI so its actually on top of the car rather than near the floor. My CAI looks like this. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49404&highlight=AEM+intake&page=2

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
I'm amazed that the insurance company is offering anything! The car was modified and the air intake was lowered by several feet. I'd take what I could get before they ask any more questions.

·
Chillin
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm amazed that the insurance company is offering anything! The car was modified and the air intake was lowered by several feet. I'd take what I could get before they ask any more questions.
Yea Texas is just weird over all so idk haha. The intake that i have is K&N but in the same spot as that AEM one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe you should convince them to send you a J32A3 out of the 04-08 TL. BOLT ON

1 - 20 of 33 Posts