Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove the RDX to work and back for a distance of 44 miles. I drove the Sport Ute over city streets and freeways. This car is very nice to drive. It's a big step up in quality and sophistication from the Accord. The leather seats are more supple of a higher quality than the leather in my Accord. The car is very quiet and the engine is very smooth. The 3.5 ltr V6 has plenty of power and pickup. The computer shows 24.5 MPG. The six speed automatic shifts are quite noticeable especially compared to my very slick CVT. The car handles very well in normal driving for an SUV.

Of course this car's MSRP is over $35k which is a lot more than an I4 or V6 Accord. It's not a true luxury SUV but it proves that you get what you pay for.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It also runs on Premium fuel which cost a lot more here in Canada.
You are correct and premium fuel is a little more expensive here. However, if you want near luxury you have to pay to play.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
It also runs on Premium fuel which cost a lot more here in Canada.
It's recommended, not required. The engine will adjust without any issues.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
It's recommended, not required. The engine will adjust without any issues.
Don't count on that ! Honda recommends premium for a good reason. Putting fuel with less octane can be detrimental to the engine & of course put a damper on performance.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Putting lower octane fuel in any modern car engine will not harm the engine as all of them have knock sensors and will adjust the timing to eliminate knocking. You may lose some performance, but it will not harm the engine.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,294 Posts
Don't count on that ! Honda recommends premium for a good reason. Putting fuel with less octane can be detrimental to the engine & of course put a damper on performance.
Yes and no. You have to read the manual for the specific car. Most modern car manufacturers RECOMMEND premium (when needed) which means to get the rated power premium fuel is needed. Modern engines have knock sensors and electronic ignitions to control timing real time. Using these systems the PCM can adjust for any fuel between 87-94 Octane.

There was a time where premium fuel was REQUIRED, case in point my 1999 Bonneville SSEi. Screw up and put in 87 and it was knock city on any hill as the PCM and associated systems were not sophisticated enough to adjust timing. That engine required premium to not have spark knock.

At the end of the day you have to read the manual and look at the fuel guage. Also, If the fuel gauge says REQURED then you have to use premium.

Jay

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
From the 2015 RDX Owner's Manual......

Fuel Information
■ Fuel recommendation
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage.
■ Top tier detergent gasoline
Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Acura endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.
Qualifying gasoline retailers will, in most cases, identify their gasoline as having met “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” standards at the retail location. This fuel is guaranteed to contain the proper level of detergent additives and be free of metallic additives. The proper level of detergent additives, and absence of harmful metallic additives in gasoline, help avoid build-up of deposits in your engine and emission control system.
For further important fuel-related information for your vehicle, or on information on gasoline that does not contain MMT, visit Acura Owners at owners.acura.com In Canada, visit Acura Canada for additional information on gasoline. For more information on top tier gasoline, visit Top Tier Gasoline.

Refer to page 263: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/BX41515OM/enu/X41515OM.pdf

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts

That's what a CRV is for... face palm.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Get a CR-V LX, change the grill, change the badges on the back, paste some Acura logos on the wheels, and you are good to go, using regular gas.

I doubt if more than 5% of people will notice it. Besides, if they do, they are likely to get in an accident from laughing too much.

Win-win.

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
Putting lower octane fuel in any modern car engine will not harm the engine as all of them have knock sensors and will adjust the timing to eliminate knocking. You may lose some performance, but it will not harm the engine.
The Knock is being caused by pre-ignition ... not good for engine drive shaft journals, valves & other parts if you continue to put lower grade gas into premium recommended vehicles. The RDX can compensate because of the advanced On Board Computers without much engine knock. Going back into the high performance 1990s or earlier year cars will cause premature wear on the parts you don't want to break ! Those cars Will Break under Repeated Pre - Ignition conditions ! To save a few pennies & get worse gas mileage / BAD Performance its really a No Win situation but there is A LOSE Possibility ... Not Worth The Risk IMO ! :devil

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I had a new RDX loaner last year and have '15 MDX now. The RDX really is a 3/4 scale MDX, exceptionally nice. The first gen RDX wasn't close to luxury, neither was the MDX. The current gen of both are great.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I have 2 vehicles that "require" premium, back when the differential between Premium and Regular was 15¢ a gallon it was not that big a deal, now that it is 30¢ a gallon difference it is not worth it in my opinion. I have not seen a gas mileage drop and the performance drop is minimal. Here is link to an old article in Car and Driver article that tested a Honda Accord and the mileage was worse on Premium

http://m.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Years ago my dad was selling used cars and he had Lincoln Continental Mark II. A customer inquired about the car's gas milage. My dad told the man, "If you are worried about gas milage this is not the car for you". The RDX is a $35,000 SUV and if buying premium gas is a major concern than it's not the car for you. Buy a CRV instead.

Reactions: karfreek

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
I have 2 vehicles that "require" premium, back when the differential between Premium and Regular was 15¢ a gallon it was not that big a deal, now that it is 30¢ a gallon difference it is not worth it in my opinion. I have not seen a gas mileage drop and the performance drop is minimal. Here is link to an old article in Car and Driver article that tested a Honda Accord and the mileage was worse on Premium

Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver
Interesting the RDX 2015 & The V6 Accord 2015 have the same compression ratio of 10.5 : 1 . The V6 in the RDX even has less HP than the Accords but requires premium according to Acura ? Wow. Is the weight difference ( more loading ) the real reason for the RDX requiring premium ?

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Interesting the RDX 2015 & The V6 Accord 2015 have the same compression ratio of 10.5 : 1 . The V6 in the RDX even has less HP than the Accords but requires premium according to Acura ? Wow. Is the weight difference ( more loading ) the real reason for the RDX requiring premium ?
Some of it may be marketing. A premium car should require premium fuel. I doubt weight. The Accord is rated to tow IIRC 1000 pounds and there is no requirement for premium if towing.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Some of it may be marketing. A premium car should require premium fuel. I doubt weight. The Accord is rated to tow IIRC 3500 pounds and there is no requirement for premium if towing.
There has to be a 2015 RDX ECU out there for Ktuner to test and see what the difference is. My bet is, RDX has different mapping than ours for more low end power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts