Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many forum participants not include their home location?

So many car issues are influenced by location... e.g. weather, road conditions, state or province laws, etc. When I see a post that is reporting a problem or issue, I generally take a look at the name section on the left.... but alas, often no location is shown.

I can understand folks being concerned about their privacy.. but even just a state, or section of province ("Upstate NY" or "Western Alberta" would be nice).

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
Good post. I've read many posts and am left curious to two things: where are they located and what model do they drive. The first being a HUGE factor the second for clarification of what system their car may have.

As for location I post Albuquerque...why? Because I want people to know it get's HOT here, what the general road conditions are, etc. Why? Because if I have a problem then those that understand hot dry climates can relate and respond. For example this year we are experiencing a very wet year...same with Texas (albeit not as bad). They and I can relate somewhat - that this is generally not normal.

Look at my avatar pic or whatever it's called...see all that snow? That's NOT normal. That was a freak snowstorm this winter. It was kind of cool. So if someone was posting that this car is horrible in snow and is from this region I can respond intelligently. It's great by the way.

Plus I have learned a lot about these far out places in Canada or hidden treasures in the USA itself because people have posted their location that I never heard of. Did I search for that person? No? Why would I? I was interested in the area or what was happening there at the time (flooding, snowstorm, etc).

Yes, there are freaks/thieves out there that will try to find you. Why I have no clue other than to steal. Main thing is to NEVER post your full license plate without blurring it out, never post a street address, an actual location close to your home (the intersection of such and such), or your house in the background with the address clearly showing. Those are just common rules of the internet.

If you are still concerned then just post your location as the state you're in, i.e. NM. One person posts with two entirely different locations. I have ZERO clue as to if his/her trouble is even in a certain region so I don't answer. That really doesn't help them.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
A lot of people take it for granted to know that the things that can/will happen to their car is oftentimes - not always - highly dependent on their location. To give them the benefit of the doubt though, a lot of people really don't care or think to fill out that kind of stuff - or anything at all - in their profile, and it could be for a bunch of arguably valid reasons. In a rush to ask a question... deliberately secretive (albeit that is counterintuitive on a forum like this lol)... ya never know. Its not hard to Internet, but its hard to get that across. Lol. Definitely with you guys on this though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I believe Geography is becoming a forgotten subject. I have seen recent college graduates who couldn't find India on a world globe. When all someone knows is how to find their favorite web site they probably don't have a reasonable concept of distance or direction much less what the weather is like in a neighboring state. People simply don't realize that so many maintenance items can be effected by location.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I don't hide my location but why do some? Because it's none of your damn business, that's why. You wanna know where they live? People in hell want ice water but they don't get it.
I don't think anyone cares where someone lives or wants to know.. other than basic information on the condition the car is kept in and/or driven in. If someone has issues starting the car in the morning... could be because they have a bad VTC, OR it could be because they have a lesser battery and regularly have temperatures below freezing. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I work with customers from coast to coast. Any email I send out referencing a time always includes a time zone (my time zone). Many don't seem to realize how important this bit of information can be. Some don't even know what time zone their locale is in.

Technology makes us take many things for granted.

How many know how to use a compass....

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
I don't think anyone cares where someone lives or wants to know.. other than basic information on the condition the car is kept in and/or driven in. If someone has issues starting the car in the morning... could be because they have a bad VTC, OR it could be because they have a lesser battery and regularly have temperatures below freezing. It makes a difference.
I get your point, but we currently live in a world plagued by cyber crime. A perfect example is the list of DriveAccord members who have stolen money from other members by selling them a product that they never actually ship.

There are criminals everywhere, even here. If I were looking for an easy steal and knew you lived in a certain town in NY and that your pretty blue coupe had a $3,000 soundstage in it, what's going to stop me from using your license plate to my advantage? Or maybe I just know a criminal who will pay me a finder's fee for pushing some work his/her way.

It's not probable, but it's definitely possible. This is especially true for smaller towns. That's part of the reason I never disclosed my hometown location. It was only 1.1 square miles with a population of like 2,000. Also, in my hometown, VERY FEW people drive modified cars. So mine stuck out like a sore thumb. I'd rather not take the chance of advertising my liquidity to the entire internet.

Where I live now has a population of ~100,000 and there are tons of modified cars. So it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

And most criminals aren't concerned with whether or not you have friends who will kill them. Because they probably have friends who would kill you too--they're criminals. They do not care.

Again, highly unlikely, but it could happen.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Good idea. I'm in Dallas Texas.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I just want a little flag in our profile that says American or Canadian... I think that's more helpful than what state or province. lol.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I work with customers from coast to coast. Any email I send out referencing a time always includes a time zone (my time zone). Many don't seem to realize how important this bit of information can be. Some don't even know what time zone they're locale is in.

Technology makes us take many things for granted.

How many know how to use a compass....
How many know how to spell...

Just teasing btw. :smile

·
HK Moderator
13,920 Posts
My God, it's like I stumbled into a thread of long lost family members!

I am on the 7th Gen forum a lot and due to time/mileage we get lots of maintenance and repair questions. My least favorite one was the huge page after page debate about the seat belt warranty.....finally someone figured out that no one bothered to list their location, and we were arguing about laws in Canada vs. the USA.

My favorites are the "It was really cold this morning and my car struggled to start..." and you find out 25 posts later that they live in Miami and "cold" is 60 degrees F.

Or battery cable corrosion because they live in areas with winter road salt. Not likely that is your issue if the car has been in Phoenix for 10 years, but VERY likely if you live in Chicago. But in Phoenix? You are lucky to get a battery to last 3 years because of the heat.

Or the sale price of the new 9th Gen....a while back I got into it with a few members who called each other idiots because they overpaid. Then you find some lived in Canada, or Southern California, etc....

As far as internet stalkers killing me: I traveled the world a few times...been in war, chaos, etc.....I am more likely to be killed by a crazed sociopathic ex-gf than by some out of town clown who wants my 7th Gen- which incidentally, has never seen a set of tail lights....

(Internet tough guy warning!) I did have a problems with muggers in the back alleys of Hanoi, but then I remembered I am from Chicago...

EDIT: We could randomly assign members a "location" if they don't offer one....we could begin our replies to fuel economy threads with posts with wording such as "Well, since you live in Pike's Peak, your fuel economy will suffer as you drive uphill."

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Yeah... nothing of value in my car to steal. She is pretty, but that's about it. We actually had someone break into a car in our driveway once... it was my sister's 10 year old car that had an aftermarket sound system. I had a brand new Mazda with Bose audio parked right next to it and they left that completely alone.

From what I've seen having worked dispatch before is that cars are far more likely to be targeted by someone on the street that sees something they want than through some internet stalking.... unless you've got something worth a bunch of money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts