Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I find out if I do a 3rd gear pull I can get, wait for it, a computer generated dyno plot :nerd

Now I am in space world for sure:0

Rules of the game:
To get to 3rd gear you drive nice to about 3K, shift to second, run nice and easy to 3K, shift to 3rd, then grind that damn skinny pedal into the floor board :devil

Now to be fair you can affect this if you want to cheat, you can. Go down hill, you are pulling no load. So that proves nothing!

So you can do it fair and find a nice level road, shift as described above, and grind that skinny pedal into the floor board! This will give you a pretty honest assessment.

Or make it hard on yourself and your car :crying I have a 6 lane truck lane summit where I live so all my WOT runs were up both sides of the summit. So I came on a exit into a 3rd truck lane and hit WOT going up a pretty steap grade, get off, get back on the other way, again onto a third lane and WOT it out.

So I did my 3rd gear run that way.

I have a Coupe I4 EX 6MT with MagnaFlow Duel Exhaust, RV6 Down Pipe, and a Injen CAI. KTuner software.

Here is the estimate.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Yup this is pretty common, and you can even see cool effects from varying cam angles.

This was from my old Si. Dead flat road, 3rd gear:

On a side note, if that graph is accurate, that's the torquiest stock block/head K24 I've ever seen.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup this is pretty common, and you can even see cool effects from varying cam angles.

This was from my old Si. Dead flat road, 3rd gear:

On a side note, if that graph is accurate, that's the torquiest stock block/head K24 I've ever seen.
On my chart?

If so, good call.

It was the way the log file started. It should be in the range of 170, give or take. Like I said OE Spec is 181 [email protected] RPM

Hp should be about spot on.

Used for a reference tool and to see how a tune is progressing.

Just really cool stuff.

And thanks you for the comments.

I would like to see about some polishing myself, I enjoy that kind of work. So if you go in to polish something please let us know. I don't have a clue what one even cost to get to do?

And yes I already had asked about injectors and we are good for more then we will get unless Forced Induction happens.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
On my chart?

If so, good call.

It was the way the log file started. It should be in the range of 170, give or take. Like I said OE Spec is 181 [email protected] RPM

Hp should be about spot on.

Used for a reference tool and to see how a tune is progressing.

Just really cool stuff.

And thanks you for the comments.

I would like to see about some polishing myself, I enjoy that kind of work. So if you go in to polish something please let us know. I don't have a clue what one even cost to get to do?

And yes I already had asked about injectors and we are good for more then we will get unless Forced Induction happens.
Regarding porting/polishing your manifold--I'm sure you could smooth the casting marks but it's not like you can take too much material off without cracking the plastic.

With the I4 you're pretty limited injector-wise given the DI system but I don't foresee that being a problem at N/A power levels.

Otherwise there's not much left to do. Opening up the exhaust doesn't seem to work for the K24 single port motors unlike the standard K series engines since the single port itself is a restriction.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

Here is mine. Accord Sport CVT with paddle shifters. Stock vs VitViper tune with RV6 downpipe, 2nd cat delete, and underdrive crank pulley.

These tests were done at 4400 feet in altitude in 93-95*F weather.

Does any one know what's the exact "3rd gear" ratio of the CVT? I did some math, but it turned out to be way wrong... so I had to adapt my numbers a bit.

LAF, can you please check your PM box on facebook?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding porting/polishing your manifold--I'm sure you could smooth the casting marks but it's not like you can take too much material off without cracking the plastic.

With the I4 you're pretty limited injector-wise given the DI system but I don't foresee that being a problem at N/A power levels.

Otherwise there's not much left to do. Opening up the exhaust doesn't seem to work for the K24 single port motors unlike the standard K series engines since the single port itself is a restriction.
Pretty sure I got all I can get out of this I4 gas sipper. Fun to drive to say the least.

On the port and polish I thought there was a aluminum one that could be swapped but I probably am wrong. Never would bother with plastic.

I also am rethinking a duel exhaust. Maybe a single would work as well or better. I know on my bike I had an exhaust system with disks in it. I could add disks for back pressure or remove as needed. I forget the name of the exhaust now, It made more power then a true duel on my Harley. It is what got me over 100/100 in a 98" motor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also am rethinking a duel exhaust. Maybe a single would work as well or better. I know on my bike I had an exhaust system with disks in it. I could add disks for back pressure or remove as needed. I forget the name of the exhaust now, It made more power then a true duel on my Harley. It is what got me over 100/100 in a 98" motor.
That would be a SuperTrapp....

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I did a little experiment earlier today. K&N engine filter vs no engine filter.

2013 Accord Sport CVT
-RV6 downpipe
-2nd cat delete bolt on resonator
-UDP
Tests were done at 6900 feet in altitude.

and here is an e-dyno:
red/blue = K&N filter
green/yellow = no filter

Gains are within margin of error. I am surprised, to say the least.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a little experiment earlier today. K&N engine filter vs no engine filter.

2013 Accord Sport CVT
-RV6 downpipe
-2nd cat delete bolt on resonator
-UDP
Tests were done at 6900 feet in altitude.

and here is an e-dyno:
red/blue = K&N filter
green/yellow = no filter

Gains are within margin of error. I am surprised, to say the least.
Not me. K&N flow very nice. They get bad mouthed for letting dirt in and ruining MAF sensors.

I know guys who have run a K&N for 200k in a RV and never an issue with dirt bypass.

And like most intelligent people he could clean and oil it with no issues. As it is so easy a Caveman can do it.

I have been running them in cars and motorcycles for 20 years with no issues.

Again I am not surprised at all.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Makes sense. I had no problems with K&N either. I cleaned my filter once so far and I used some synthetic bike chain lube that I had laying around.

I think my test demonstrated the following: we are limited by cams, our intake manifold, and exhaust(if you have stock exhaust with chambered mufflers).

I will do more testing with OEM filter vs K&N to see if there are any gains. Moreover, I will be testing stock exhaust vs tsudo exhaust. I will be sure to post my plots in this thread.

Jay1, I use Virtual Dyno to generate these plots. Data is acquired through Ktuner and then exported as csv format. Virtual Dyno doesn't have native support for Ktuner, thus csv files are required for plotting.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes sense. I had no problems with K&N either. I cleaned my filter once so far and I used some synthetic bike chain lube that I had laying around.

I think my test demonstrated the following: we are limited by cams, our intake manifold, and exhaust(if you have stock exhaust with chambered mufflers).

I will do more testing with OEM filter vs K&N to see if there are any gains. Moreover, I will be testing stock exhaust vs tsudo exhaust. I will be sure to post my plots in this thread.

Jay1, I use Virtual Dyno to generate these plots. Data is acquired through Ktuner and then exported as csv format. Virtual Dyno doesn't have native support for Ktuner, thus csv files are required for plotting.
Have to agree on what holds us back.

I have been thinking hard about all the mods I have done with my own two hands.

I love doing the work and love the car to death to say the least.

I bought a I4 and love it and I could have bought a 6 but just wanted the I4 for gas mileage on a fixed income.

Also buyin a I4 gave me enough money left over to mod.

But we are only going to get what we are mostly getting. 180 HP and 170 TQ. We will do no better than a few digits either way no matter what we do.

You nailed it. Cams and intake. We can not do anything there other then tune and move cam profiles around. We just are never going to see 200HP out of an I4. Just not going to happen in bolt on mods and tuning.

I have to say the mods have made the car way more fun to drive, way more responsive, and just all around fun every time I sit my butt in the seat.

We just are hitting the limit of our gas sippers ability for performance as we use them for a daily driver.

I love my I4 Accord and am happy with the mods and the outcome.

Thanks for playing around with this and seems it is great tool to move parts on and off and getting a measured result from them.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Have to agree on what holds us back.

I have been thinking hard about all the mods I have done with my own two hands.

I love doing the work and love the car to death to say the least.

I bought a I4 and love it and I could have bought a 6 but just wanted the I4 for gas mileage on a fixed income.

Also buyin a I4 gave me enough money left over to mod.

But we are only going to get what we are mostly getting. 180 HP and 170 TQ. We will do no better than a few digits either way no matter what we do.

You nailed it. Cams and intake. We can not do anything there other then tune and move cam profiles around. We just are never going to see 200HP out of an I4. Just not going to happen in bolt on mods and tuning.

I have to say the mods have made the car way more fun to drive, way more responsive, and just all around fun every time I sit my butt in the seat.

We just are hitting the limit of our gas sippers ability for performance as we use them for a daily driver.

I love my I4 Accord and am happy with the mods and the outcome.

Thanks for playing around with this and seems it is great tool to move parts on and off and getting a measured result from them.
It's only a matter of time before someone releases a decent turbo kit.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's only a matter of time before someone releases a decent turbo kit.
I hear you.

I would have to back away from a add on turbo. Just could not have my daily driver in any danger as my only other transportation is a motorcycle.

You are right a turbo or supercharger would make huge HP. Just as we have seen with the nitrous someone installed here.

I just cant risk my car at my age if something would go south with a turbo installed.

But if anyone else has Dyno numbers from log files please post them up.

·
2.5th gear
306 Posts
You guys live in a high altitude area ? here near montreal i think im at 100 feet above sea level. this means i get way more HP and Torque then those over 4000 feet.
Anyway. wonder how come i would not get 200hp with a 2014 sport 6mt, RV6 Downpipe Ktuner.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am at 500 Ft.

Remember these are all "generated" numbers and not true Dyno runs. They are used as tools in the tuning process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts