Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Cruising in Montana
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at two 2015's, a gray Sport and a gold LX. Both have the 2.4 engine with CVT.

The Sport has 91,000 miles for $16,600 and the LX has 50,000 miles for $15,850.

I see these engines are direct-injection. Is that the same concept as the GDI on the 10th gens?

Fortunately they're both in the same part of the state, unfortunately the closest one is 120 miles away (the other another 30 miles) so I can only go there on weekends.

Anything I want or don't want on these cars?

Registered
I admire your financial discipline, congrats on getting to this step.

The low profile tires and bigger wheels on the sport can be a headache for theft, curb rash, etc and don't help MPG's. So if you can start without them that would be a plus. IIRC, starters can be an issue and on the 2.4 and it's tight. May require removal of the intake manifold or some bits on the bottom. There were recalls for rusty half shafts so if you have vin info I'd see what's specific to these cars. All of the other stuff like brakes, rear wheel bearings you can take care of yourself.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
I wish I could share what I found when I was initially looking at 9th gens to replace my 2010, but I was more interested in the V6 model so I don't have too much to offer here.

I see these engines are direct-injection. Is that the same concept as the GDI on the 10th gens?
It is, although these still for the most part have the same K24 engine as the predecessors in the I4 lineup save for the GDI difference. It's also not like the 1.5T in some later model Hondas that were known for oil dilution because of GDI.

It also as far as I know does not have the same oil burning tendency as its immediate predecessor in the 8th gen, which is good.

Overall, it seems like a pretty solid engine outside of the quirks like carbon buildup over time on the intake valves that come with any GDI engine.

IIRC, starters can be an issue and on the 2.4 and it's tight.
Really? There's something I wasn't aware of. I thought the starter issues were mostly isolated to the V6 models and even those were mostly fixed up by the time the refresh came along in 2016.

Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
One web site said this about those two 2015's:

View attachment 546196

Hmm. 馃榾

They probably mean leather, which I don't care for anyhow.
I have seen only two 2013-2015 Accord Sports for sale with full leather interior.

The K24W in the 9G Accords share's very few, if any, components with the K24Z found in 8G Accords. The intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the cylinder head. I'd argue the K24W shares more architecture/layout with the newer K20C in the 10G Accords and FK8 Civic Type-R.
-Oil burning is an issue with some owners. With my 2014 @ 63k miles I personally have very little, typically less than a half quart between oil changes at 4 to 5k miles. One friend has a 2013 with over 120k and experiences little to no oil burn, another friend with a 2016 burns about a quart every 1,500 - 2,000 miles.
-CVT if maintained well & not abused will generally last. There were software and hardware TSB's for 2013s & 2014s; by 2015 I believe most of CVT issues were resolved.
-Starters are somewhat common failure. Aforementioned friend with higher mileage had to replace his around the 100k mark. I do not recall him saying that removing the intake was required.
-If you live in colder climate, I'd recommend upgrading to the larger Group 35 battery found in V6 models. Stock K24 9G Accords came with an anemic group 51 battery. Very easy to make the change, all that is required is the battery hold-downs from the V6 and the plastic battery tray if you see appropriate.

Polished Metal Metallica
If you're looking for someone who has stress-tested the 9th gen Accord, perhaps @stiller fan can chime in?

My only input is that my Dad walked away without a scratch from a bad accident in his 2015 Accord that totaled his car (hit and run driver sideswiped him). He immediately went out and bought a 2017 Accord V6 Touring sedan to replace it, and says it's the best car he's ever owned.

BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
like others have mentioned, the wheels on the sport (19 inches) could get expensive when it comes to replacing tires. however, the sport does have some additional features, like fog lights, that you may deem useful.

other areas of concern:
  • starter
  • wheel bearings
  • oil burning (i go through about 2 quarts per oil change - about 10 k miles)
  • the bluetooth is a buggy mess on a good day

overall, a great car that should serve you well over the course of time, as long as you maintain it.

feel free to write back if you have any other questions about it.

Registered
I have a 2015 Sport with approximately 136k on it. Other than regular maintenance, I have replaced both the starter, and timing chain tensioner. Both can be DIY provided you have the right tools. The valve cover has started to leak slightly, and it does burn a little oil.( Not sure how much between oil changes. I just check it regularly and add as needed) Wheels are scuffed a little, and yes.... 19 inch tires are more expensive. I still have the stock battery group, and am on my second battery which is an AGM. Overall it has been a fairly dependable car.

BRWNFLSH now
I find the 9th gen is a much smoother riding, and more stable at speed than my 7th gen was. The main difference between 9th and 10th gen engines is 10th gen engines are turbos. I like to do my own maintenance and repairs, and I know nothing about working on turbo engines. Haven't noticed any oil burning at all, changing the oil when the maintenance minder gets to 15% (about 7,500 miles). No starter issues yet, but I did change the timing chain tensioner because of a cold startup rattle (easy 30 min. job). I plan to keep this car until it starts giving me problems with repairs, and it's been pretty solid so far.

Cruising in Montana
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the electric power steering have anything to do with that stability? I ask because my 2022 Ford Transit has EPS and it does quite well at speed, I don't have to constantly tweak the steering wheel.

Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
other areas of concern:
  • wheel bearings
How many wheel bearings have you replaced?
When I did my rear brakes I noticed my left rear wheel bearing had a bit more resistance than the right rear. I was happy to see Honda went to bolt-in design for the rear wheel bearings now!

BRWNFLSH now
What the electric power steering have anything to do with that stability? I ask because my 2022 Ford Transit has EPS and it does quite well at speed, I don't have to constantly tweak the steering wheel.
The EPS might have something to do with it too, but tires definitely do. I had Bridgstones on my 7th gen, and while they had a lot more grip than the stock Michelins especially in wet conditions, they wandered all over the road when driving straight. So much so that I look at "tracking" when I shop for tires now.

Registered
Make sure that the TSB 16-053 was done if the car was in the VIN range. It is a update on the CVT transmission (I am assuming these are CVT and not manual transmission). Along those lines make sure the transmission fluid has been changed regularly.

The Sport has leather and the LX does not. The LX is the entry level and has a different tune on the engine producing less HP. Also no push button start and no dual screen. The Sport is a better value, or an EX-l.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
2013 Accord Sport CVT
IIRC, starters can be an issue and on the 2.4 and it's tight. May require removal of the intake manifold or some bits on the bottom. There were recalls for rusty half shafts so if you have vin info I'd see what's specific to these cars. All of the other stuff like brakes, rear wheel bearings you can take care of yourself.
Starter is a issue on many Honda since the switch mechanism is made out of thin copper, but it is fairly easy to replace on inline 4 engine. It鈥檚 20min to take it out, 20min to replace the brush set (which has the switch) and another 30 minutes to put it back. Put it back is the hardest part since one of the bolt is behind the starter and difficult to align.

Cruising in Montana
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm hoping to go look at both of them this weekend. Since they don't have dipsticks for the transmission, removing the check bolt may not be an option (owners may not let me). I see that HCF-2 is amber colored so I guess the only other option is to look at what drips off of the fill plug.

But, just in case, what size socket do I need for the check bolt?

Registered
You can pull the filler plug and use a wooden dowel to reach the transmission fluid and wipe it off on a paper towel to see the condition of the fluid.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mtts60

Registered
Don't waste your time with the trans check bolt. Like above, use a popsicle stick to check the color of the trans fluid. If the fluid was changed by the MM at about 50,000 mi. it will probably show a little darker than the new HCF-2 carmel color, no big deal. Your test drive of the car will show any trans slippage, judder and etc.. Our '15 EX-L CVT runs great at 130,000 mi. with some spirited driving. Also still gets 38mpg on the highway at 70mph.

Our 4cyl engine has been flawless as well. Only maintenance so far was oil changes, air filter, plugs at 100,000, serpentine belt and tensioner at 100,000.

The '15 Accord is a great car and a very good value as a used model. Unfortunately for you they command a few more bucks than most used cars.

Cruising in Montana
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aaaand another '15 Sport 2.4 shows up. This one in a town only 100 miles north of me, and one that I occasionally visit on the job. Problem is, as always, price. $18,500 because it has 43,000 miles on it. Some day I'll go look at it, and question #1 is going to be "Why the heck are you selling an almost-new car?"

Polished Metal Metallica
Aaaand another '15 Sport 2.4 shows up. This one in a town only 100 miles north of me, and one that I occasionally visit on the job. Problem is, as always, price. $18,500 because it has 43,000 miles on it. Some day I'll go look at it, and question #1 is going to be "Why the heck are you selling an almost-new car?"
You鈥檙e right to do your due diligence, but I know quite a few people who think three years is an eternity to own a car, and they鈥檇 treat a 2015 like a Model T, regardless of mileage.

Always makes for an interesting conversations when I bring up my nearly 11 year old, 208,000-mile coupe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts