Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Tell dealer to F.O. and return car.

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2013 Sport in Obsidian Blue pearl on Tuesday. Color was my and the wife's first choice and the dealer traded another car to get it for us.

Didn't realize at the time of the deal that the dealer installed the stupid plate holder on all of their cars. My car came from dealer who did not install it but that was "fixed" by the dealer I purchased the car from. F#$king Morons.

To keep the story from getting too long the dealer agreed to refund me the cost of the car if I like or they will pay to have the current one repaired.

I am not keen on having my brand new car repaired but we really like the color and don't want to deal with the hassle of buying another car, in a different color since we prefer a 2013. There are no 2013 OBP blues we or dealer can find in the area that don't have the plate holder installed.

I have 2 options for repair which I am having trouble deciding on.

Option 1 is to get some very small carriage bolts and sand and paint them to fill the holes. The bolts will bug me a bit but they will not be very noticeable and I can rest assured the factory paint job has not been messed with. Part of me thinks the factory paint job will hold up better over the long run since we tend to keep our Hondas for VERY long periods of time.

Option two is have the bumper cover repaired and repainted. The dealer recommended a shop that after doing some research appears to do very high quality work with high quality materials. After speaking with them they have assured me that the bumper cover will look like it was painted at the factory. They do offer a lifetime warranty on their work for what that is worth.

I am bit concerned about matching the paint exactly and how well it will hold up over the long run. A good friend who does custom paint and body work said I should be fine IF the repairs and materials are done correctly (I would have him do it but he lives in another part of the country).

Third option is to tell the dealer to F.O. and give me my money back. As much I would like to and originally wanted to this is my last choice.

What would you do?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Id go with option 2. If it's a reputable shop, there should be no issue. They use the same paint products as the factory. The paint should easily match since it's a brand new car and there has been no paint fading.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what is worth they use R-M paint products which I have been told are very high quality. Paint match is still a concern of mine though.

My other Accord has be painted from 2 different accidents with 2 years of new. Most people don't notice but the front half of car is different than the back half.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A good painter is supposed to blend the paint from the newly painted area back. Having the license plate plugs would be annoying to me, and returning the car and finding another can be a huge hassle. I would research for the best body shop in the area and make sure they have it right before you take it home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't realize it until I pulled in the driveway for the first time. I can't believe lots of dealers do this just because they want you to advertise for them. So now I just have the two holes there, which I don't even notice anymore.

·
To me my board!
115 Posts

Unless you're going to have the shop paint the entire bumper... don't bother as spot painting will look bad sooner or later.
And unless you know the guys and/or it's a very reputable shop, don't trust that they'll do the entire bumper. A buddy had a rear bumper painted after a fender bender and about two years later you could tell that the shop only did a spot repair but charged the insurance company for the full repair.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I called the auto body shop Friday I asked them to tell me how the repair would be done. My buddy gave me a pretty good step by step so I would have an idea on what should be done to a proper repair. The auto body shop guy said part of the process is to re-color the entire bumper. He than went on to explain about the issues that occur from only spotting in the color and that he does not like to do it.

I will confirm when I go there in person tomorrow morning to check out their facility.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just have the car repaired at the expense of the dealer. If they are a good body shop they will repaint the bumper and you will not be able to tell the difference. Did the dealer stick his name badge on the trunk? If so I would have the body shop remove that since they can repaint the area if they mess up removing the badge.

Does your State require a front license plate?

·
Registered
901 Posts
My dealer already had the plate installed and i'm in PA where there's no requirement for a front plate. When questioned, with a smile they said that 99% of people don't complain and they get some free advertising. Nobody has the 14 V6 black on ivory, they offered to have the plugs put in and first have the body shop actually color match the plugs. It'll bug me a bit for as long as I own the car, but I'll get over it. I'm having Nissan repurchase my 2013 altima...I'm getting 100% refund of a years worth of payments, down payment, tax, tags, title. This "extra" $ is allowing me to upgrade from a 2.5 SL (4 cyl leather) Altima to an EX-L V6, so while the plugs will bug me a bit, in the grande scheme of things I'm considering myself one lucky SOB:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a black Sport, so I just plasti-dipped the screws that came with the bracket, and put them back in. All set.

I've also been considering a European vanity plate, so there's that option...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the dealer stick his name badge on the trunk? If so I would have the body shop remove that since they can repaint the area if they mess up removing the badge.
Yes but I already removed it. It was only on there for a couple of days.

Does your State require a front license plate?
No, otherwise I would not have been bothered so much by it.

·
2013 Honda Accord Touring
202 Posts
Was looking to do the same thing on my car and went this route.

License Plate Relocation - had front plate relocated to in front of the bottom grille. Used 2 of the 2013 Honda Accord color matched bumper plugs and I am very happy!

Universal License Plate Relocator - http://www.strutking.com/products/Universal-License-Plate-Relocator-.html

2013 Accord Bumper Plugs - https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_11_101&product_id=101

You are supposed to drill 2 holes into the bumper and then use the provided hardware to bolt the bracket to the bumper. I called my local body shop and asked if they had some of the plastic clips they use to clip in body panels.

Rather than having to take the front bumper off and access the other side to tighten the bolt, we used 2 of the plastic clips which you clamp onto with a specific tool and pull them tight. Once pulled tight they open up so they won't pop out. Basically, we were able to install them with access to only one side of the bumper.

**the bracket comes shrink wrapped in a white plastic, it pulls off to a clean aluminum look when ready for install**

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bumper Plugs from Lowes. I think you have touch up paint in your glove box. Thats what I did after I told them not to drill the holes.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My dealer already had the plate installed and i'm in PA where there's no requirement for a front plate. When questioned, with a smile they said that 99% of people don't complain and they get some free advertising. Nobody has the 14 V6 black on ivory, they offered to have the plugs put in and first have the body shop actually color match the plugs. It'll bug me a bit for as long as I own the car, but I'll get over it. I'm having Nissan repurchase my 2013 altima...I'm getting 100% refund of a years worth of payments, down payment, tax, tags, title. This "extra" $ is allowing me to upgrade from a 2.5 SL (4 cyl leather) Altima to an EX-L V6, so while the plugs will bug me a bit, in the grande scheme of things I'm considering myself one lucky SOB:)
Update! A local dealer that gave me a great price and didn't have the color combo I wanted called today to say it's in. I took a ride over and there she was, with NO bumper holes! Matched my deal and took off another $100 to sweeten the pot and I've got it in writing. $29,900 OTD for a 2014 EX-L V6, crystal black pearl on ivory. Just like my avatar w/o the front plate. As a courtesy I let the other dealer know I wouldn't be purchasing the car there on Wednesday...He was PISSED. Hope they think of this next time they drill into another $30K car!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am satisfied w/ my bumper plugs. Bothered me at first, but now they're not too noticeable.

Like you, my dealer traded another EX-L to get my White Orchid one from 3-hrs away; I appreciated their effort and didn't want to make them swap a whole other car.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Buy a "HONDA" license plate from eBay and move on.

J/K

Nossan. Congrats on the score!

Jay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts