Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from anyone that has successfully used aftermarket PS racks (new or reman) on their 2003-2007 Accord 2.4L?
I don't want to break the bank, and I'll be replacing it myself... again.

The story: I bought and finished installing last week a reman Vision-OE unit from Rockauto on my '07 EX-L 2.4L, and it immediately leaked from the driver's side end of the unit :mad:. It is coming from the inboard area of the inner tie rod boot which is basically where the OEM one I took out was leaking. I'll just go ahead and say, I flushed the system with and refilled with only Honda fluid and replaced all hoses.

I did a bit of research before buying the Vision-OE one and saw a couple mechanics say they had fewer come-backs from the VisionOE units (formerly Visteon, I believe). Even though the unit is under warranty, I'm thinking about eating the cost of it and buying a different brand because that's a lot of work and irritation only for the next one to be bad too. Life happened and it took me more than 30 days to install it (I had a spare car), so now Rockauto won't give a refund, only a replacement VisionOE unit under their 3-year warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm confused about the listings at your link. I'm pretty sure I've looked at it or a similar one before I bought the Vision reman. Isn't item 12 just the housing (not including everything else that's shown in the exploded diagram)?
If item 12 is the whole power steering rack and pinion assembly (only minus the inner tie rod ends), I would've done that and will do it in a heartbeat.

Oh well. Like they always say... if it's too good to be true, it probably is. After studying it again, your link was to the ps gear components page. The full ps gear box page is listed below that one on the left. The corrected link is: P.S. Gear Box (L4) for 2007 Honda ACCORD SEDAN | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts.

Big difference between $750 and $220, and the $750 won't even get the inner tie rod ends and boots.
So, I'm back to my original request... looking for successful aftermarket PS boxes, if there are any.
I understand the ones most likely to see my post are those perusing these posts daily trying to sell Honda parts. I respect that.
Hopefully, there are some looking on here trying to sell aftermarket parts, so convince me.

·
HK Moderator
14,265 Posts
I understand the ones most likely to see my post are those perusing these posts daily trying to sell Honda parts. I respect that.
Hopefully, there are some looking on here trying to sell aftermarket parts, so convince me.
Negative, Ghostrider. Most people want to help you and solve your problem. We don't allow random clowns, like AndyBoyd and ScottsMerkin, to come on here and sell their junk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Negative, Ghostrider. Most people want to help you and solve your problem. We don't allow random clowns, like AndyBoyd and ScottsMerkin, to come on here and sell their junk.
I'm not sure who Ghostrider is, but I guess I should have specified "quality aftermarket parts". There is such a thing. The definition of "helping and solving a problem" in this case is a quality part without being gouged on price. My question to people who tout over and over OEM, OEM, OEM: if the OEM part is so great, why am I having to replace it?

·
HK Moderator
14,265 Posts
I'm not sure who Ghostrider is, but I guess I should have specified "quality aftermarket parts". There is such a thing. The definition of "helping and solving a problem" in this case is a quality part without being gouged on price. My question to people who tout over and over OEM, OEM, OEM: if the OEM part is so great, why am I having to replace it?
The phrase "Negative, Ghostrider..." comes from the movie Top Gun and is used by just about every single pilot on earth- even to this day, to answer in the negative. In that famous scene, "Ghostrider" was actually Tom Cruise, as "Maverick", requesting to buzz a control tower.

There are many reasons why an OEM steering rack would have to be replaced. Sometimes, aftermarket power steering fluid causes leaks, sometimes mixing OEM and aftermarket fluid can cause leaks. Too little power steering fluid, too much, clogged filter, age, bad from the factory, etc.

Again, we don't allow random people to come on DriveAccord and to sell products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha... classic movie... but it's been a while since I watched it last and didn't remember those lines.

As far as the gear box goes, I understand keeping the sales pitches down. That's why I'm hoping to hear from any members who have experienced good results. I realize it's a long shot that the average member would see my post and just happen to have a good aftermarket rack in their car. It's not completely far-fetched, since I've done it myself, but it was by chance I was looking for other information on a car forum and saw someone I could help based on my experience.

From my research it seems it's one of two possible leak locations likely whether OEM gear box or not. People usually indicate theirs is leaking on the driver side inner tie rod boot area. So, It's either the seal where the rack shaft slides in and out or a seal on the pinion shaft.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,580 Posts
OEM is almost always the best part for an application. The exception would be in a case where the OEM design was flawed and aftermarket companies have developed a solution - like for transmission cooler lines on GM pickups. In the case of a steering rack on a Honda, I know of no inherent design flaw and therefore I stand by the notion that the OEM replacement part will be better than any aftermarket. Yours may have had a factory defect since you stated that it leaked at low mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts