Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discussing my hunt for a 7.5/8 gen Accord coupe with a friend, he asked me why I am insisting on a MT in the V6. His point is the MT is not needed in the V6 given the gear ratios. Kinda similar to driving the Vette. I could cruise around town in 1st gear all day. Whereas with a I4 I'd have more fun with a stick.

And given my days of nailing it off the light are over, I am rethinking the 6MT. What sayeth you? Stick with the V6 in MT, or look for a I4 in stick?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't get a v6 auto especially if I got it so I could enjoy the extra power. The auto won't last as long as the manual in the v6, but the auto holds up to the 4cyl just fine.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,628 Posts
Well, the 6MT doesn't come in a I4, except the newest models, unless you go for a Civic Si. The 7.5 and 8th gens are 5MT's.

The newer AT's are just fine even in the V6 BTW, if that's what you want.

The question should be: What do you want?

Mine or anybody elses opinion really doesn't, or shouldn't, matter.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
Here's the thing: The K24 is a great 4 cylinder and I never feel the Accord is underpowered. BUT, I definitely am envious of my wife's Sonata with the V6, I have to work my car hard to do things that feel effortless in hers.

That being said, it's a pleasure to rev, the gearbox is excellent, it get's great mileage, etc. etc. I don't regret not waiting for a 6-6 but I certainly wouldn't say no to one.

Reactions: carguy1234

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
6-6 all day man. Especially since you say this is going to be a project car. Go big or go home.

To me, this question sounds like a lack of patience because an i4 is much easier to find :wink

You will be way happier with the power you get out of the v6. And also, NO, you can't just ride around town in 1st gear all day.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This is a hard decision to make. I haven't driven any V6...but I would go manual just because I love driving a manual.

I also agree w/ @cintocrunch. The K24 5MT is a fun car for a 4 cylinder, it's strong point is higher RPM's....below 2500 may seem sluggish if you're used to V6 power.

Seeing how you already have automatic Accords...I would suggest waiting until you find a 6MT. But again, this is all just an opinion ;).

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6-6 all day man. Especially since you say this is going to be a project car. Go big or go home.

To me, this question sounds like a lack of patience because an i4 is much easier to find :wink

You will be way happier with the power you get out of the v6. And also, NO, you can't just ride around town in 1st gear all day.
I was joking about riding in 1st gear all day. Yes, I see a lot of I4's for sale in 5MT, although I am fine with waiting to find MY car the way I want it. It sounds like with the V6 I won't see the sweet spot in RPM torque in everyday driving given the speed limits. I am never over 3k driving in town (which is why I was amazed that I needed new engine mounts).

Yes, I am picking nits here. But your opinion matters. But mine matters most to me.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I was joking about riding in 1st gear all day. Yes, I see a lot of I4's for sale in 5MT, although I am fine with waiting to find MY car the way I want it. It sounds like with the V6 I won't see the sweet spot in RPM torque in everyday driving given the speed limits. I am never over 3k driving in town (which is why I was amazed that I needed new engine mounts).

Yes, I am picking nits here. But your opinion matters. But mine matters most to me.
If you aren't actually going for power for your car, since you don't hit 3k really... Then an i4 is probably not a bad choice for you.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't get a v6 auto especially if I got it so I could enjoy the extra power. The auto won't last as long as the manual in the v6, but the auto holds up to the 4cyl just fine.
Oh please! The 2003 was the bad model that had the bad transmission.

2004+ would be just fine. Just don't redline it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you're going to get the V6, definitely get the 6MT due to the better reliability.

If you want an I4 Honda sedan with a MT, just get an Acura TSX instead. It's built on the European/Japanese Accord chassis (which the Accord Euro-R is also based on). The TSX has the better K24A2 with a 7600 RPM redline and real VTEC on both exhaust and intake cams, vs. the stripped-down, intake cam only eco-VTEC in our Accords. Plus the TSX it's got a 6MT and a better interior than the Accord. Used prices on TSXs should be pretty reasonable these days.

Just gonna leave this here:

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
If this is a "project car", what are your plans? You don't seem to need performance, so the V6 power would be wasted on you. The V6 is smoother, and moves the car effortlessly and silently, but if none of these things are important to you, getting an I4 would be cheaper to get. I love the V6, but then I use the power all the time. I'm an (cautiously) aggressive driver, and I don't like sitting behind slow-pokes. The roads in my area have a lot of curves (double lines), so when you have an opportunity to pass you want to be able to take it. If you are a mostly right lane driver, you don't need a V6 IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
... It sounds like with the V6 I won't see the sweet spot in RPM torque in everyday driving given the speed limits. ...
I've had my 6-6 for all of two days now, and disagree.

The V6 has low end torque no I4 will ever have, and that's a true luxury puttering around town. In that regard, its sweet spot is vast.

I've already done some leisurely drives in 4th and 5th at low speeds and still had easy power. Today I zipped up a slight hill in 4th that would have made my old 4cyl puke.

At one point I changed lanes in 3rd and goosed it to get by a group of clogged cars near an intersection. When I looked at the speedo I was doing 60. This thing won't shame Corvettes but it's in another class from a lot of other rides out there. And it does so without drama.

That said, I'd pick the I4 with 5MT over a V6 auto, for fun over luxury. Lucky, I have both.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just gonna leave this here:
That wasn't what I was looking for, but now it might just be. Fancy. Never sat in an Acura. Thanks for adding to the confusion.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this is a "project car", what are your plans? You don't seem to need performance, so the V6 power would be wasted on you. The V6 is smoother, and moves the car effortlessly and silently, but if none of these things are important to you, getting an I4 would be cheaper to get. I love the V6, but then I use the power all the time. I'm an (cautiously) aggressive driver, and I don't like sitting behind slow-pokes. The roads in my area have a lot of curves (double lines), so when you have an opportunity to pass you want to be able to take it. If you are a mostly right lane driver, you don't need a V6 IMO.
When I said project car, I meant "time away from GF and work car". I don't need the power. Gonna test drive the I4 6MT and go from there.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
254 Posts
I had a 6MT in my Hyundai Tiburon V6 before my accord. I know that gearing ratios will play a night/day difference, but I got tired of "rowing the boat" in the Hyundai 6MT. Shifting gears would only drop you 1.5K RPM or so in most cases so you were constantly having to shift.
I was glad for the 5MT i have now so because the shifting isn't excessive. I have not driven any accord 6MT so I cant say how much rowing is involved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm finding I don't need to row much, in normal (non aggressive) driving. 1-3-5 works well in many cases. If it's a rolling stop or there's any kind of down slope, 2-4 is also good.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a 6MT TSX. But, at least in my area 90% of used TSX's are automatics. So again a 6MT might be hard to find.

Definitely test drive an I4 5MT. If you're used to a lot of low-end power, you might not like it, but it's worth a try. Also, a little confused, if you're looking at an I4 for the 7th gen. Accord, you can't get it in a 6MT, only a 5MT. Are you talking about the TSX?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
I'm finding I don't need to row much, in normal (non aggressive) driving. 1-3-5 works well in many cases. If it's a rolling stop or there's any kind of down slope, 2-4 is also good.
This is a sign, that you would really rather have an automatic in these situations. Skipping gears is fine, if you give it an extra second or two for the RPMs to drop before letting the clutch out. If not, it will put extra wear on the clutch. I would often skip 4th, if I was already at the speed limit, but there was too much jump up between 1st and 3rd, meaning I would have to wind it out too much in 1st, then wait a while for the RPMs to drop.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
I4 5MT advantages - the car is rock solid and maintenance costs are low. 7.5 second 0-60 times (7 gen) are faster then I4 5AT times. I owned a 7.5 Gen I4 for 8 years, and rarely did I wish for more power + its been very reliable and no timing belt to change.

V6 6MT advantages - there isn't as much of a need to downshift to get to the decent power. If you do decide to downshift to get to the "real" power, you probably won't go back to an I4. The gas mileage penalty is not as much as one would think. The door is closing rapidly on being able to get a V6 Sedan in a 6 speed. This may be the last chance.

As for the Acura TSX - I've never driven one, but I doubt anyone would notice the extra power unless you routinely bring the engine over 5.5K RPM's. It might be nice to have that extra gear, but even that is overrated. Honda will always favor the Acura Line to give its products some advantage - but sometimes the advantage is only on paper.

In all seriousness, you can debate between an I4 5MT and a V6 AT. Once a V6 6MT is part of the equation, I know what my choice would be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts