Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here... Looking for advice to replace my OEM shocks and struts on my Accord 2007 v6 EX with 145,000 miles. I'm not to adverse on suspension. But I am not interested in lowering the ride of the car. I want to keep the original height of the car, or keep it close. But I would like some better quality shocks, struts, and springs...

Any advice would be appreicated.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Honda OEM. Yours are probably fine.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey... thanks for response. I don't mind paying the money for something different than honda OEM. Would you consider the yellow koni's as a good replacement? I also like the look of the koni's. But I'm not sure if those are specialized for lowering cars or not...

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Typically it's hard to beat Honda OEM. My 10 year 157K car speaks to this. I can't speak for other brands.

· Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
1,185 Posts
I'll also echo chris918... Nothing rides like the OEM Honda struts. It's a well documented thing on the internet. Also are yours leaking? How do you know they need to be replaced? OEM Honda struts can last the life of the vehicle in some cases.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are not leaking. I believe they are fine. I wanted to get some better performance and I wanted to go for the look and color of the koni's. but wanted to make sure I wasn't creating trouble by changing out my shocks and struts for performance. I was unaware of the reputation of Honda OEM struts.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
I'll also echo chris918... Nothing rides like the OEM Honda struts. It's a well documented thing on the internet.
I haven't heard that about Honda struts. Mine are getting old. Do you have documentation that the Honda OEM struts are superior? What kind of ride - - controlled or soft?

· Registered
48 Posts
Just installed a set of KYB Strut-Plus (Strut + Spring + Mounts) all in one unit on my son's 2004 V6 EX. Was about as difficult as a complete brake job (not difficult) as you don't have to worry about compressing the springs and you replace the entire assembly in one shot. Rockauto.com had them for ~$110 each side. Amazon has them as well for a bit more.

We just finished this over the weekend so the springs still have to settle in. The ride is VERY similar to stock. Not harsh nor spongy. Just freshened up the tight feel of the car and no more knocking noise. I went KYBs as they are described as very close to OEM and also are made in Japan. I could be mistaken, but i believe Honda OEM struts are sold separately from the spring therefore requires the spring compression. While doable, it requires more time/effort. I wanted to avoid the spring compression thing. This worked out really for me as DIYer. If you're taking yours to a shop, then i suppose OEM is a good choice as the originals did last about 125-130K miles before leaking.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Galco

· Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
1,185 Posts
I haven't heard that about Honda struts. Mine are getting old. Do you have documentation that the Honda OEM struts are superior? What kind of ride - - controlled or soft?
I don't have it right here, but I've heard many people say that including Eric the car guy, and many mechanics including my self. I used to be a Honda Tech.

If you're looking for a controlled firmer ride, then go aftermarket.

· Registered
293 Posts
They are not leaking. I believe they are fine. I wanted to get some better performance and I wanted to go for the look and color of the koni's. but wanted to make sure I wasn't creating trouble by changing out my shocks and struts for performance. I was unaware of the reputation of Honda OEM struts.
So you want to change your shocks for more performance, to have the look, and color? How much of the shock do you see with all 4 wheels on the ground? You wont increase performance compared to the factory setup when using Koni shocks with OEM springs.

Just follow jimijam's advice... Yellow spray paint.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,660 Posts
I'm very, very unhappy with any Accord OEM suspension. The mods below have made it a completely different, hugely better car. No comparison. We all have our own preferences, mine is a tight, flat suspension. That said I'll never keep an Accord without these modifications.

· Registered
52 Posts
I'm also interested in freshening the suspension in my sons 03 Accord EX but he doesn't need performance suspension and frankly our pot holes here would make it a horrible ride. I like the stock suspension that absorbs our bumps pretty good. I just got a 05 EXL Hybrid that I will take a look into what it needs also. Where do you guys go for Honda parts?

· Registered
324 Posts
I'm also interested in freshening the suspension in my sons 03 Accord EX but he doesn't need performance suspension and frankly our pot holes here would make it a horrible ride. I like the stock suspension that absorbs our bumps pretty good. I just got a 05 EXL Hybrid that I will take a look into what it needs also. Where do you guys go for Honda parts?
Try rock auto if you haven't already. I personally think they have great deals on trusted oem brands. I've also recently been checking out tunersports.com. Also, I check eBay often and compare prices.

· Registered
324 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to say that I've got 183k on my Accord and still running original suspension components. I've noticed the back struts knocking louder and louder, so I'll be replacing them with KYB struts more than likely in the near future as I'll DIY this project myself.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,660 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.