Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I did some car stereo installs 20 years ago, but have been out of it for quite a while other than new speakers, deck, and JL micro+ sub install in my 88 toyota pickup recently which was pretty easy. I have never messed around with installing a sub with a factory head unit. I think I am going to get this sub https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109BASPROB/JBL-BassPro-Hub.html. Everyone talks about getting a LC2i, but I am unsure exactly how that gets wired in to the front speakers then the sub or if I even need it if keeping factory speakers. Someone posted this harness http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-DSP-HON2 for a different install, is this needed for mine as well? Lastly Ill get a 10ga amp install kit for the sub. Can anyone think of anything I am missing or some tips for the install? Thanks....

·
Registered
181 Posts
For what you want to install, that list seems good, however it looks like that sub is meant to install in the spare tire compartment. the trunk seems (to me) to be pretty well insulated. Hopefully that solution would be loud enough for you. Personally, I have a ported JLAudio 10" Microsub powered with 400 Watts mounted in the trunk, Sounds fine, but at times I wish I had more output.. The LC2i is not entirely necessary but most recommend because you can dial in the bass. The factory setup has strong bass roll-off and the LC2i helps recover SOME of that. The LC2i also provides a much more powerful signal. It just helps with the sound quality. The Metra harness is the best way to get to your speaker wires without splicing or cutting anything factory. Its been mentioned many times, but the front speakers are the ones to tap for the best (least rolled off) signal. You'll need some speaker wire to take the signal from the harness to the LC2i and a set of RCA connectors between the LC2i and the sub. Another step, not mentioned as much but certainly has value is to enter the developer setting of the head unit and disable the "PS setting" this appears to remove some if not all of the factory roll off. I personally noticed a huge improvement in my setup (I had pulled my signal from the REAR speakers) Bass sems to go far lower, and the harshness of the mids improved as well. Finally, be sure to disconnect the ANC module or the aftermarket sub will likely have loud feedback proportional to the engine speed. Instructions on how to disable the PS setting and the ANC are searchable here.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I recently installed a sub so I’ll chime in here... if it was me I wouldn’t use that sub.. First off if you use that sub the jack and accessory tray is not going to fit, if your not going to have a jack in the car then you might as well pull the spare and use all of that space for a full size 10” sub. If your set on not having a box in the trunk you might as well do a 8” under set sub in the cab of the car. I would be willing to bet the 8” inside the car would sound better than this sub in the trunk. If your trying to keep it on the cheap side you can tap the front speaker wires at each kick panel with posi taps without cutting the factory wiring and save $80. And lastly make sure you get a 100% OFC amp kit, it seems copper plated aluminum is the big thing these days and they try to sell I think as OFC with wording. I found a Rockville kit that was pure copper for $65 but I had to sort thru many towed out the aluminum. Oh and if you don’t want to mess with the Accubass feature of the LC2i you could use the JL Loc-22, it’s the same price but a bit simpler. I would highly suggest using one or the other for the best input to the amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently installed a sub so I’ll chime in here... if it was me I wouldn’t use that sub.. First off if you use that sub the jack and accessory tray is not going to fit, if your not going to have a jack in the car then you might as well pull the spare and use all of that space for a full size 10” sub. If your set on not having a box in the trunk you might as well do a 8” under set sub in the cab of the car. I would be willing to bet the 8” inside the car would sound better than this sub in the trunk. If your trying to keep it on the cheap side you can tap the front speaker wires at each kick panel with posi taps without cutting the factory wiring and save $80. And lastly make sure you get a 100% OFC amp kit, it seems copper plated aluminum is the big thing these days and they try to sell I think as OFC with wording. I found a Rockville kit that was pure copper for $65 but I had to sort thru many towed out the aluminum. Oh and if you don’t want to mess with the Accubass feature of the LC2i you could use the JL Loc-22, it’s the same price but a bit simpler. I would highly suggest using one or the other for the best input to the amp.
Thanks for all the info guys. I read a ton of great reviews on that sub and watched a youtube video where they took measurements and were all impressed with it. I honestly had not even looked at the area it would go in to see if it would fit. They did test it under the tire and had even better sound so that might be an option.....I originally looked at the Alpine under passenger seat setup, but most reviews are it doesnt have much base. I really want a hidden sub as I need all the space in the car for two under age 3 kids....

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with you on the Alpine setup not being great but take a look at the Kicker hideaway sub, it has more power and much better reviews. There was someone on here that started with the Alpine and swapped to the Kicker and was very impressed. What ever you decide good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How did this come out? How does it sound? Did it fit in your spare and the top cover nice and flat? I would rather put the jack kit in a nice carry bag off to the side than to have a big sub box. Please let me know I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did this come out? How does it sound? Did it fit in your spare and the top cover nice and flat? I would rather put the jack kit in a nice carry bag off to the side than to have a big sub box. Please let me know I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing.
I didn't pull on the trigger on it. Doing all the acuity upgrades first that I just ordered. There is a guy on here or the other 10th gen forum that just bought this sub and was about to install it. Find that thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts