Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am a newbie from Buenos Aires, Argentina here, just got my license and hopefully I'll soon get my hands on this car.
It's a 2006 V6 AT with 80k miles and it's always been serviced at a Honda dealership and looks clean, the belt/pump were replaced at 62k.
The owner is asking 5800usd for it.

Do you guys think it's worth it? Or should I look for a newer one? A 2011 accord i4 in similar condition is around 3k usd more.
Ideally I'd like to get 5 years out of it without much trouble.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210427-083539_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-083545_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-083555_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-083608_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-083639_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-083647_Mercado Libre.jpg

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I would look for a low mileage I-4, something newer but it depends on what you can afford.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
655 Posts
Congrats on getting your license!

For the V6 model, does the seller have maintenance records pertaining to the transmission? The 7th gen V6 automatic transmissions generally weren't that great.
Personally, I'd go for the 2011 I-4, but I'm also biased since I have a 2010. The 8th gen I-4 models can eat oil, but that's been made less common for 2011 and 2012. Their transmissions are pretty good, as long as you take care of them.

Also keep in mind that a 2011 I-4 has a timing chain (which you only need to replace if it breaks), while you'll have to replace the timing belt and water pump every so often in the 2006 V6. Not sure if that'll be a deciding factor for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Congrats on getting your license!
thanks! 😀

The 2012 i4 (8300 usd) has 86k miles, it has no records though.

The 2006 V6 has all the records from the Honda dealership, I'm not sure if anything was done to the transmission, I'll ask.
As for the belt, it should last since I'm planning to drive only 7k miles a year. Since my city has good public transportation, I'd use it mostly on weekends (after the COVID shitstorm ends).

I can afford to buy a newer car, it's just I'm not sure if I should spend so much as a first time driver.

Screenshot_20210427-092940_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092928_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092916_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092906_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092901_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092854_Mercado Libre.jpg Screenshot_20210427-092847_Mercado Libre.jpg

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
655 Posts
The 2012 i4 (8300 usd) has 86k miles, it has no records though.
No records on the 2012 is a HUGE red flag. Is this Carfax records only? Or is this like, seller has no maintenance related paperwork at all?
If it's the latter, I'd stay far, far away.

Keep in mind too that since the timing belt is rubber, it's recommended to be replaced every 7 years, regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around here, sadly it's like keeping maintenance records is an exception and only super tidy people do it, it's not common.
Not sure what Carfax includes, but he has the records of the oil changes, services, repairs that have been done (at the dealership at least) and they can be validated to be real there.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Depending on traffic conditions in your city, a 4 cylinder may be more economical. Some posters can only get 12mpg (V6) living in NYC. Whatever car you decide on have a good independent shop mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yeah, I’d go for a newer I4 if possible and if you don’t need the V6 power. Look for model years 11/12. Even if you decide not to spend more, all 7th gen Accord I4 (03-07) are very solid too. With that said, the 06 V6 isn’t too bad of a choice either. Just know that, like mentioned, it has a timing belt that needs replaced every 7 years / 100k miles. Also, you will want to do more frequent ATF changes (drain and fill) with the 06 V6 (and also the I4 too). All 7th and 8th gen four cylinders have timing chain.

On another note, consider getting the MT of any gen (at least 7th or 8th gen). These are probably the most problem free Accords if maintained well.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
8th Gen Believer
3,976 Posts
"Stay away from 8th gen," the one the BROAD is talking about?" Moderators, where are you? Get this FREAK off our forum.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
278 Posts
Yeah I know several people with high mileage 8th gens with no problems to speak of, they are just as reliable as 7th gens.

as for the 7th gen V6, it’s probably safe, Honda mostly resolved the issues with the automatic transmission in 2006. I would still take it on a test drive and make sure the transmission isn’t flaring or slipping though. And it will be expensive, the fuel economy of the V6 is pretty poor, and it’ll need a timing belt every 7 years or 100k.

if you can find proof the 8th gen was well maintained, its a perfectly good choice as well, they’re actually a lot roomier than the 7th gen if that’s what you want.

·
VCM DELETE
828 Posts
Yeah I know several people with high mileage 8th gens with no problems to speak of, they are just as reliable as 7th gens.

as for the 7th gen V6, it’s probably safe, Honda mostly resolved the issues with the automatic transmission in 2006. I would still take it on a test drive and make sure the transmission isn’t flaring or slipping though. And it will be expensive, the fuel economy of the V6 is pretty poor, and it’ll need a timing belt every 7 years or 100k.

if you can find proof the 8th gen was well maintained, its a perfectly good choice as well, they’re actually a lot roomier than the 7th gen if that’s what you want.
I have owned both 7th and 8th gen accords, They are equally reliable.
I know a coworker who has a 2009 EX-L V6 Accord approaching 300k miles. 8th Gen are perfectly fine. Lappo is a 8th gen Hater.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
655 Posts
That's an important note about insurance. Will you be paying your own insurance? A V6 model will cost more to insure than an I-4 will, and if you're going to continue shopping around, make sure you go for the sedan body style.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Used car markets are different in every city so I'm not asking this for rhetoric, for the same money can you not get a newer model Honda Civic? It's a good beginner car, great around the city and cheaper to maintain than an older v6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'll check the insurance prices, though it'll only be liability + theft or "completely totalling the car" (not sure how it's called over there)
The civics in my price range (under 13k usd) cost almost the same as the accords of the same year/mileage, for some reason accords depreciate really fast here and they're rarely seen.

I forgot to mention, but one of the reasons I chose the 7th gen V6 is because it has VSA. Which the civic that is sold here didn't include until 2017.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Turbo lag
1,440 Posts
The V6 is going to cost more to maintain. The 8th gen is structurally a much safer car than the 7th gen. If you are going to get a 8th gen, get a 2011 or 2012, they are less prone to having oil burning issues.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The V6 is going to cost more to maintain. The 8th gen is structurally a much safer car than the 7th gen. If you are going to get a 8th gen, get a 2011 or 2012, they are less prone to having oil burning issues.
Except the V6. The VCM in that thing could still be problematic as it was for me. Gas mileage was also as lousy as one would expect from a 3.5L engine. The VCM helped little, if at all in that regard. Get the V6 only if you’re ok with higher maintenance, lousy mpg (could be better where you live, idk), plan to muzzle it, and of course, need the power. Otherwise, I4 all the way.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The VCM management was on the 8th and 9th gen models. That car looks clean and that price is great imo. The maintenance should not cost much more since the belt was replaced too. That engine is not much less efficient either than an i4 on the highway and a lot of fun. Also insurance should not matter for the larger engine at all!!
That gen is dirt cheap for parts, insurance and information here to do your own work or mods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The maintenance should not cost much more since the belt was replaced too.
The belt being replaced at 62k miles is kinda prematurely interesting.

Considering Honda has never put transmission servicing for the 7th gen v6 as a priority item (especially the filter which doesnt officially exist for service), I don't think it matters if there was dealership service. But at 80k miles I would be doing the 3x drain and fill to keep that transmission strong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts