Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. So I'm fairly new to the Honda line of engines. I know the basics, but I'm having ideas leading into the little more advanced now, so imma get second opinions. I have a 97 accord with the F22B1 V-TEC. The engine is getting very worn down, and I'm looking at possibly replacing it, along with the transmission. The engine I'm looking at purchasing and swapping in is a B18C1, with matching transmission and ecu from a 96 Ish Integra Type R. From the research i did earlier, swapping these into Civics is a fairly common and easy thing to do. Now i know civics and accords aren't RADICALLY different, but would it be fairly simple to swap one of these engines into my accord, or is the accord different enough in the engine bay department, that it would be more difficult? Im trying to find more information on this kind of swap, and just how difficult it would be, but all i can find is thousands of articles and videos on putting them in civics. Is it even possible? It seems like it, IMO, but as i said, i want second opinions lol. Thanks in advance for y'alls time ^_^

·
Registered
72 Posts
Honestly, a B18C1 in an Accord would be a HORRIBLE idea. First of all, the B18C1 is a lower displacement engine with less torque, and was intended to be used a smaller and lighter vehicle. If you try to use this engine in a heavy Accord, you will just end up with a sluggish car - 1.8 liters in 3000lb just isn’t the stuff dreams are made of.

Another issue is going to be mounting. Although there are certain similarities between Accords and Civics/Integras, the two platforms are different enough that the B18C1 is NOT going to be a straight drop-in swap for an Accord. Not only that, but because the B18C1 is not a desirable motor for an Accord, nobody makes a mount kit to facilitate this swap. This swap would require lots of custom fabrication. All for a motor that doesn’t belong in an Accord.

The bottom line here? There are better choices for your car. Even another F22B1 would be a better choice for an Accord. And if you want DOHC VTEC, go for an H22A or maybe even a JDM H23A VTEC Blue Top. Either of these motors will give you the torque needed to propel a car the size and weight of an Accord. They will give you more HP than a B18C1. They will bolt in fairly easily. And to top things off, both of these motors are actually CHEAPER than a B18C1. Even a Euro R H22A (220HP) is cheaper than a B18C1!

K-series is also a possibility if you want a little more than H-series. And if you are willing to custom fabricate, J-series becomes an option. But H-series is probably your best choice when it comes to the best balance between the performance, ease of swapping, and cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, a B18C1 in an Accord would be a HORRIBLE idea. First of all, the B18C1 is a lower displacement engine with less torque, and was intended to be used a smaller and lighter vehicle. If you try to use this engine in a heavy Accord, you will just end up with a sluggish car - 1.8 liters in 3000lb just isn’t the stuff dreams are made of.

Another issue is going to be mounting. Although there are certain similarities between Accords and Civics/Integras, the two platforms are different enough that the B18C1 is NOT going to be a straight drop-in swap for an Accord. Not only that, but because the B18C1 is not a desirable motor for an Accord, nobody makes a mount kit to facilitate this swap. This swap would require lots of custom fabrication. All for a motor that doesn’t belong in an Accord.

The bottom line here? There are better choices for your car. Even another F22B1 would be a better choice for an Accord. And if you want DOHC VTEC, go for an H22A or maybe even a JDM H23A VTEC Blue Top. Either of these motors will give you the torque needed to propel a car the size and weight of an Accord. They will give you more HP than a B18C1. They will bolt in fairly easily. And to top things off, both of these motors are actually CHEAPER than a B18C1. Even a Euro R H22A (220HP) is cheaper than a B18C1!

K-series is also a possibility if you want a little more than H-series. And if you are willing to custom fabricate, J-series becomes an option. But H-series is probably your best choice when it comes to the best balance between the performance, ease of swapping, and cost.

Thank you very much sir. This is why I asked. I looked at the horsepower, completely forgot weight and torque were things that existed. So if I want around 200 on the new engine you reccomend the H22a or H23? Now odd question, would I need to get the computer with the engine, or would my existing computer from the accord work with those engines?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You will most definitely NOT get the most out of these engines if you attempt to run them with your stock ECU. Ideally, you want the correct ECU for the engine you are running. This is not so difficult with the H22A - simply use the stock H22A ECU. With the H23A, things are a little more difficult (particularly with a manual transmission). Your best bet is a modified P28 ECU, at least for OBDI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts