Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Guys,

I've previously owned a number of accords including the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th & 9th generation accord. I am considering purchasing another accord, possibly a 2018 or 2019 Sport model. Is there anything that I need to look out for when purchasing this model Accord? I haven't heard anything negative but still want to do my due diligence and possibly receive some feedback from the true owners.

Also, how is the current apple carplay? The connection to Pandora from iPhone on my 9th generation is aggravating to say the least. ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
130 Posts
The new Honda Sensing safety systems can be a little irritating at first. Everything else with the car is great in my experience.

I can't speak about Apple Carplay since I have an android phone, but Android Auto works just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went from a 2013 EX to a 2019 EX-L.

Carplay works just fine. Interface is very quick.

Pandora is not quite the same as it was in the 9th gen where you could just hit a button on the dash and bring it up. However with the 9th gen, it could take a few tries to get pandora working properly. With the 10th gen, pandora is just an app on carplay.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I greatly appreciate it. Is there anything that I need to look out for mechanically, drivetrain, transmission, engine or maybe electrical or exterior any paint defects?

Thanks in advance

·
HK Moderator
14,091 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I greatly appreciate it. Is there anything that I need to look out for mechanically, drivetrain, transmission, engine or maybe electrical or exterior any paint defects?

Thanks in advance
Yes! Plenty of existing threads cover these topics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I have to be very frank of MY ownership of a 2018 Accord 2.0 sport.

I will give you some of the cons I've experienced with my car, some are minor annoyances but annoyances nonetheless

EDIT:

The apple car play and android auto has giving me 0 issues, It is very responsive and always launched without fail, even in cold temperatures, the infotainment system stays responsive and operates as normal.

• RATTLES, I had about 3 annoying rattles, sub-woofer rattles on bass audio, a glove-box rattle that I still don't know where it comes from, front hood rattles when stopped (of-course, these are subjective and what I have you might not have but it's good to know in general). Heater blower rattles/sounds, I am only a year and a half in and my heater blower is getting replaced because It's causing a humming noise and a rattle..
  • SEATS, seats in the accord are super uncomfortable to the point where taking it on longer rides is a debate I have in my head before I do so.. I noticed the touring model with the leather seats are even MORE uncomfortable and hard than the cloth variant I have with the sport.. Before buying the accord I was very keen on getting an Altima, it was a very close battle but trying out Nissan's "Zero-gravity seats" and coming back to try the Accords seats.. It was night and day, just the seats alone almost swayed me to an Altima. I also had my passenger seat have squeaking noises already which I had to remedy myself.. My seat warmer also malfunctioned as It was turning on when I used the seat lumbar controls.
  • 10 SPEED TRANSMISION, This transmission has been a love hate relationship with it, I was unfortunate to have maybe a bad batch of transmissions and I was experiencing (still am) hard shifts and rough shifting every-time I get in for a drive, the shifts (especially downshifts 1,2,3) and up-shifts are very noticeable and the downshifts almost jerk the whole car back and forth.. More prominent in colder temperatures, seeing as I experienced -40 degree Celsius weather with it, It was brutal in colder weathers. Dealership has been tossing my concerns away when I go for a diagnosis, they say the transmission is acting "normal".. But it sure doesn't feel like it. Also, I feel like 10 speed is an overkill, when you are just trying to get to a 60 km, you have to go through so many gear shifts and any slight change in speed, it downshifts right away, It seems to be always confused on what gear it should stay on..
  • RIDE COMFORT, I have the 18 inch rims and the low-profile GOODYEAR tires it came with the car and the ride quality is very disappointing, the road noise is piercing, at highway speeds, you can't concentrate on a conversation because of how loud the car is while driving, any little imperfection on the road is felt through the car, potholes are your biggest enemy, if you hit one the wrong way, scratched/broken rims are going to be ur best-friend. I know it's because of the low-profile tires but since they come with those, I thought I'd let you know. Compared to the Altima I test drove, surprisingly it was way more composed on the rode and felt a bit more muffled.
  • COLD STARTS, Like I stated above, I live in a very cold climate and I get very severe winters, this car doesn't like cold starts, I had 2 batteries die on me so far, replaced under warranty ofcourse but still never told me the cause.. When I give the car a cold start, the engine seems so weak and loud, It takes a very good while to warm up to decent operating temperature, I have a 20 min ride to work and my engine barely gets warm. I always seem to get black smoke from the exhaust in cold starts and always get a smell of gasoline (not sure if that is normal).. SO if you live in a colder climate, just be advised.
Other than all those stated above, car has been good, just a few visits to the dealership for minor annoyances because I OCD a lot.

But honestly, If someone asked me If I would recommend this car, I would have to stay neutral..

DO your research, test drive it multiple times, don't bite the bullet so quick.. Look at everything, compare with other cars of the same class..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Other than all those stated above, car has been good, just a few visits to the dealership for minor annoyances because I OCD a lot.
Yikes. I don't think I'd be recommending the car if my experience was that bad. I'm surprised you're neutral. My 2018 Touring has had a couple of small rattles, but I would be counting the days until I get rid of it if I had the problems you're having.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aladdin_Michael, thanks for the feedback I appreciate the time and effort in your response. I noticed you mentioned 18" wheels. I thought the sport model included a 19" wheel package? I wonder if some of the issues you've encountered are as a result of the very cold climate you live in. Anyone else experiencing the same kind of issues?

·
HK Moderator
14,091 Posts
Anyone else experiencing the same kind of issues?
Yes, plenty of existing threads! One has "10AT transmission problem " in the thread title. Another has "seat comfort" in the thread title. Another has "rattle" in the thread title. These are all under the 10th Gen forum. HUGE threads- lots of replies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aladdin_Michael, thanks for the feedback I appreciate the time and effort in your response. I noticed you mentioned 18" wheels. I thought the sport model included a 19" wheel package? I wonder if some of the issues you've encountered are as a result of the very cold climate you live in. Anyone else experiencing the same kind of issues?
Yes, you are right.

They are the 19 inch alloys.. It could be from the cold but a friend of mine has same car as mine and he hasn't had as many problems as I had with mine..

I just got the (EXPLOSIVE, PAINFUL, AND UNCONTROLLABLE BOWEL MOVEMENTS WHICH WILL LEAD TO DEHYDRATION, HOSPITALIZATION, ORGAN FAILURE, REPEATED RESUSCITATION, EVENTUAL DEATH, LAWSUITS, ACCUSATIONS, ALLEGATIONS, ACCEPTANCE, LEGAL SETTLEMENTS, AND A YOUTUBE TRIBUTE VIDEO WITH 6 VIEWS) end of the stick ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick, I’m sure there are numerous problems board members have faced with their Accord Sport. However I am looking for consistent issues this model Accord might face. If I do a search I’m sure I can find problems on all Accords across all the generations. However, I need some guidance on any consistent issues these cars might suffer from.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you find a 6-speed, you'll experience 0% of the issues that trouble automatic transmissions. guaranteed.

On another note, my 2019 1.5 MT has been stellar so far. I have android, my wife has apple. sometimes there's a device conflict, but it typically favors the iphone if that helps you. The plastic trim seems loosely attached when you start running a rag over it to wash it. you'll notice that pieces make noises as if you're shifting them back into place while you dry them. the standard rearview mirror "feels" cheap when you flip it up and down, but the mirror part does a great job mirroring. front and rear windshields appear to cause less visual distortion than my 2014 LX experienced. Overall, it's a nice vehicle. did you test drive any, yet?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks easymike, I’m actually leaning towards an automatic. I did a “Transmission” search on the forum. It seems to only plague the 2.0 Turbo 10 speed automatic transmissions although I could be wrong. Does the 1.5 automatic have the same 10 speed transmission or suffer from the same issue?

I haven’t test driven one yet. I currently own a 2013 sport model. I’m thinking the ride may be similar although there are more interior features in the 2018 model. I didn’t understand what you meant by “The plastic trim seems loosely attached when you start running a rag over it to wash it.” Which plastic trim are you referring to?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks easymike, I’m actually leaning towards an automatic. I did a “Transmission” search on the forum. It seems to only plague the 2.0 Turbo 10 speed automatic transmissions although I could be wrong. Does the 1.5 automatic have the same 10 speed transmission or suffer from the same issue?

I haven’t test driven one yet. I currently own a 2013 sport model. I’m thinking the ride may be similar although there are more interior features in the 2018 model. I didn’t understand what you meant by “The plastic trim seems loosely attached when you start running a rag over it to wash it.” Which plastic trim are you referring to?
The 1.5 has a CVT. They have no issues other than they are a CVT.

I don't know if you ever driven a CVT before but honestly, after driving the 10 speed automatic, I'd prefer the CVT over it even though I hate how they feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks in advance
I have an 18 1.5t ex, the oil dilution issue is still a problem even at 27k. Sadly it’s bad enough to cause my closed garage and car cabin to smell like the diluted oil. I would be careful with the 1.5t especially if you live in colder climates.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My experience with the 10spd is completely opposite of Aladdin's. I never find my transmission to be gear hunting or rough on upshifts. Occasionally I will experience a rough downshift at very low parking lot speeds. Not enough to both me.

The road noise is partly due to the 19" wheels. I find that road surface has much to do with this as well. It doesn't bother me, though everyone is different. Noise is subjective.

I can't stand the "whir" of a CVT or the momentary lag as it spins up. The 1.5/CVT combo is pretty lackluster in the civic and even worse so in the Accord due to the extra weight in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Which plastic trim are you referring to?
Various parts of the front and rear bumper. You get the impression that they're snapped into place, but not tightly. I don't ever worry that they'll fall off or anything, it's just you can hear things sort of shift into place when you apply gentle pressure. I feel like it's mostly the chrome trim and reflectors on the bottom of the rear bumper and possibly the fog lights. It happens less now that I've had it a few months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there anything that I need to look out for mechanically, drivetrain, transmission, engine or maybe electrical or exterior any paint defects?
If you're going to get the 1.5L engine, look seriously at the EX trim instead of the 1.5 Sport. It offers so much more in terms of extra features for not very much more money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2.0 sport has 4,500 miles and the transmission is starting to get a lot smoother. I used to get a lot of jolts when slowing down, and now it's gotten a lot better.

I guess my only real gripe are all the rattles. I have a rattle on my driver's door, and a rattle on the rear deck. Shouldn't be happening with a brand new car.

Oh, I also think the sound system is garage.

Aside from those cons, I love this car.

The seat has gotten more comfortable too. I feel it takes some time to loosen up.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you're going to get the 1.5L engine, look seriously at the EX trim instead of the 1.5 Sport. It offers so much more in terms of extra features for not very much more money.
IMO the only reason to get a Sport is the manual transmission option. That's now the one thing that REALLY sets it apart

1 - 20 of 25 Posts