Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an accord sport 2019 1.5T at 1600 miles. Over the past week the steering feels super loose, less responsive, and it feels like I'm driving another car altogether. Took it to the dealer, as expected, they said nothing was wrong with the car, likely because I'm still covered by warranty. This is such a bummer. Any ideas why this is happening to a new car? I do have a lot of potholes on my daily commute that I cannot avoid, but there has never been any accidents, not even a graze. Appreciate your inputs.

I have an accord sport 2019 1.5T at 1600 miles. Over the past week the steering feels super loose, less responsive, and it feels like I'm driving another car altogether. I can make a half turn to either side before the wheels turn. Parking in tight spaces feels massively different. Took it to the dealer and as expected, they said nothing was wrong with the car, likely because I'm still covered by warranty? They said if something was wrong with the steering, it would surely show up on the dashboard. This is such a bummer. Any ideas why this is happening to a new car? I do have a lot of potholes on my daily commute that I cannot avoid, but there has never been any accidents, not even a graze. Appreciate your inputs.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,263 Posts
A half turn of play in the steering wheel is not normal. How hard are you hitting these potholes?

·
Registered
140 Posts
"I can make a half turn to either side before the wheels turn."

If the techs were allowed to take your car for an evaluation drive, and they didn't experience this behavior and/or see any EPS codes, then they're going to conclude nothing is wrong.

Did you allow them to take an evaluation drive? Did you ask for a tech to drive with you and observe your driving inputs and associated behavior in order to reproduce the issue?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can make a half turn to either side before the wheels turn.
Not saying that there is nothing wrong with your steering, but I strongly believe that if this were actually true, you would have had an accident within 30 seconds of driving. Take a video of this symptom, post it here and then show it to your dealer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How about the heaviness or lightness of steering effort. Has that changed? Is it a case of a lot of "play" in the steering wheel with little or no resistance to moving the steering wheel, and then the steering force becomes normal?

These cars have electric power steering, right? (Rather than hydraulic.) So there is some sort of "controller" (I think) that is translating steering wheel inputs into actual steering movement. In a brief look at the owner's manual, I see no mention of power steering fluid (reinforcing my opinion that it is electric power steering). However, in looking over the list of fuses, it is not clear if there is a fuse for the electric power steering. (The fuse descriptions are not very well spelled out, and use a lot of short, two or three letter abbreviations. There is an engine-compartment fuse listed as "ST MG", 30A. But who knows what that stands for???

It seems weird to me that the symptoms described by the OP can't be observed by the service tech(s), as they seem pretty dramatic. Unless they are only happening intermittently....

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is crazy. If true, I would ask the dealership to confirm in writing this is normal and go to another dealer to have it properly diagnosed.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
The steering is electric assist, it is not an assist issue as the steering wheel is directly connected to the steering rack. If there is "looseness" it has to be a internal steering rack issue or broken or loose Mounting points.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not saying that there is nothing wrong with your steering, but I strongly believe that if this were actually true, you would have had an accident within 30 seconds of driving. Take a video of this symptom, post it here and then show it to your dealer.
Again today I found that at really low speeds such as bumper to bumper city traffic, I need to make a full 360 for it to start turning midway to make a 90 degree turn. I've driven it every single day since I got the car and this is surely new. Sucks. It was such an awesome and agile drive until now. The dealer swears this is normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The steering is electric assist, it is not an assist issue as the steering wheel is directly connected to the steering rack. If there is "looseness" it has to be a internal steering rack issue or broken or loose Mounting points.

It feels really loose and seems to be getting worse. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about the heaviness or lightness of steering effort. Has that changed? Is it a case of a lot of "play" in the steering wheel with little or no resistance to moving the steering wheel, and then the steering force becomes normal?

These cars have electric power steering, right? (Rather than hydraulic.) So there is some sort of "controller" (I think) that is translating steering wheel inputs into actual steering movement. In a brief look at the owner's manual, I see no mention of power steering fluid (reinforcing my opinion that it is electric power steering). However, in looking over the list of fuses, it is not clear if there is a fuse for the electric power steering. (The fuse descriptions are not very well spelled out, and use a lot of short, two or three letter abbreviations. There is an engine-compartment fuse listed as "ST MG", 30A. But who knows what that stands for???

It seems weird to me that the symptoms described by the OP can't be observed by the service tech(s), as they seem pretty dramatic. Unless they are only happening intermittently....
It feels very light. And has lost the smooth circle-back when I let my hands go after a turn, rather it staggers back. It short, it feels like an old rental Nissan sentra, feels like dough rather than a spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Definitely not being dramatic. Low speeds, especially while parking in tight spaces, is when I feel the most difference. Half a turn/90 degree- to get it to start turning. At >35mph, I barely notice any play and feels normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Again today I found that at really low speeds such as bumper to bumper city traffic, I need to make a full 360 for it to start turning midway to make a 90 degree turn. I've driven it every single day since I got the car and this is surely new. Sucks. It was such an awesome and agile drive until now. The dealer swears this is normal.
video?

I own three Honda vehicles purchased from two different Honda dealers. Neither one of them would observe behavior like this in steering and conclude it was normal. You either need to get a second opinion or, as I mentioned previously, hand the keys to them for evaluation. I ask again, did you either let the tech drive your car or have a tech in the car with you while you drove it to reproduce the issue? There is no way a competent tech would conclude this is normal steering behavior.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Competent techs would figure this out in a hot second once they got it up on a lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Competent techs would figure this out in a hot second once they got it up on a lift.
I did hand over my keys but did not drive WITH the tech though. I'm doing it today to show them how loose it is. Will post a video soon. The report says the suspension was inspected entirely but not a mention of the steering or rack and pinion. I've researched this a lot now and it seems pretty common to be dismissed for steering issues the first time. It's not only a question of competence, but also honesty, when it comes to dealerships.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Seems like this is a simple issue to demonstrate and a simple issue to investigate. The things you can check are simple things like tire pressure. How the tires are wearing any unusual tread wear patterns? Rotate the tires, have the alignment checked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did hand over my keys but did not drive WITH the tech though. I'm doing it today to show them how loose it is. Will post a video soon. The report says the suspension was inspected entirely but not a mention of the steering or rack and pinion. I've researched this a lot now and it seems pretty common to be dismissed for steering issues the first time. It's not only a question of competence, but also honesty, when it comes to dealerships.
Let us know what they find out on the second pass. Dismissing symptoms like this up front as "normal operation" is highly uncommon, they should be treating you better than that. Stand your ground.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an accord sport 2019 1.5T at 1600 miles. Over the past week the steering feels super loose, less responsive, and it feels like I'm driving another car altogether. Took it to the dealer, as expected, they said nothing was wrong with the car, likely because I'm still covered by warranty. This is such a bummer. Any ideas why this is happening to a new car? I do have a lot of potholes on my daily commute that I cannot avoid, but there has never been any accidents, not even a graze. Appreciate your inputs.

I have an accord sport 2019 1.5T at 1600 miles. Over the past week the steering feels super loose, less responsive, and it feels like I'm driving another car altogether. I can make a half turn to either side before the wheels turn. Parking in tight spaces feels massively different. Took it to the dealer and as expected, they said nothing was wrong with the car, likely because I'm still covered by warranty? They said if something was wrong with the steering, it would surely show up on the dashboard. This is such a bummer. Any ideas why this is happening to a new car? I do have a lot of potholes on my daily commute that I cannot avoid, but there has never been any accidents, not even a graze. Appreciate your inputs.
check out this topic on this forum
10th Gen highway freeway sway/steer problem?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
^ you should read this

1 - 20 of 46 Posts