Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Update: The second dealer found a problem with the steering rack and it has to be replaced. It is an internal issue and not external damage. So this would be covered by warranty. The part has been ordered. When asked to elaborate what the problem is, the dealer is unable to explain. However, will know when I pick it up in person.
Update. Dejected and annoyed.

The second dealer replaced the whole steering rack due to an internal issue. I was doubtful if it drives any better when I picked it up but wanted to give it a try.

Three days later now, feels very loose and a lot of play at low speeds while parking and driving in the crowded city. The steering for sure has few centimeter play on either side before the wheels start turning. This has caused me to narrowly miss grazing other cars while passing them in traffic. It doesn't feel safe to drive this with kids.

I will share more videos soon.

I do not know what the solution is. I have taken it in four times, to two dealers. This is a new car at 1800 miles, four months old, and I'm wasting so much time, money, and energy between my busy 13 hour-a-day job.

Please help with ideas about how I can escalate this. I already have a complaint with Honda from when the first dealer dismissed the issue and treated me badly. I'm sure now the second dealer who replaced the rack is also going to behave badly and wash off any responsibility.

Any suggestions about going down the route of lemon law? And how do I do it?

NEVER AGAIN A HONDA. MY FIRST AND LAST.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lemon law is different in every state. Look yours up and see if you qualify. There's different criteria - number of times at the shop, attempts made to fix, etc.

·
Row 'em
34 Posts
Seems to me it should be easy enough to do a quick diagnosis on this issue yourself.

With the engine off and the driver's window open, stand outside the car, reach through the window, and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth as far as the locking mechanism will allow. As you do this, watch the outer edge of the front tire. Do you see it move back and forth just a tiny bit as you wiggle the steering wheel?

If the answer is no, then by all means continue your escalation process.

If the answer is yes, then the steering mechanism is fine and this problem could probably be best characterized as an "operator perception error."

·
Registered
964 Posts
Update. Dejected and annoyed.

The second dealer replaced the whole steering rack due to an internal issue. I was doubtful if it drives any better when I picked it up but wanted to give it a try.

Three days later now, feels very loose and a lot of play at low speeds while parking and driving in the crowded city. The steering for sure has few centimeter play on either side before the wheels start turning. This has caused me to narrowly miss grazing other cars while passing them in traffic. It doesn't feel safe to drive this with kids.

I will share more videos soon.

I do not know what the solution is. I have taken it in four times, to two dealers. This is a new car at 1800 miles, four months old, and I'm wasting so much time, money, and energy between my busy 13 hour-a-day job.

Please help with ideas about how I can escalate this. I already have a complaint with Honda from when the first dealer dismissed the issue and treated me badly. I'm sure now the second dealer who replaced the rack is also going to behave badly and wash off any responsibility.

Any suggestions about going down the route of lemon law? And how do I do it?

NEVER AGAIN A HONDA. MY FIRST AND LAST.
I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with this. From your description, the 2nd dealer took responsibility, diagnosed the issue, and replaced the steering rack. That has been the solution for the few others that have experienced this issue as well, so it seems like a reasonable approach.

The videos you posted show very low speed driving, and yes, it takes a little more effort to move the steering wheel when you're barely moving. One could even perceive "play" in the steering wheel at those speeds in any car other than possibly a go-kart. There are a finite number of parts related to steering system. A big part of that system (the rack) has already been replaced in yours. I assume the first thing they checked on your car was the easy stuff that's easy to check -- the suspension, etc. I don't think the dealer is intentionally treating you badly -- they've replaced the likely source of any issue, and probably test drove the car and found it to be operating as designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my 2019 2.0 Touring. The vehicle has a hard time tracking straight at highway speeds and need constant correction. Sometimes feels like the wheel is sticking when centered. Can anyone that has had the steering rack replaced provide me the info of what dealership they took it too and even the manager they delt with so that it will help my case when I take it in to have it looked at..

41 - 46 of 46 Posts