Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 4 banger. It has 154K miles on it and this is the first problem I have come across... When I take off with the a/c on mostly, the car is very hesitant to move, while driving, I have to punch it to make it move. When I get on it, it hesitates at first but at the top of every gear, it opens up and goes like it normally does but as soon as I get to the next gear...no power until the top of that gear... I don't know everything about cars, but I do know a thing or two but this has stumped me... It does it with the a/c off too just not near as bad or as often. Any help would be great. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
wait let me try to help you out ... so you go through first gear normally ... then second gear you punch it but like it goes to around 4000 rpm and it like lags/goes down around 400 rpm for a second and it goes up again?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I wonder if its the tranny "stalling" of sorts and not a motor issue. Whens the last time you had a tune-up?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
Do you have an auto or a manual? If it is an auto, and the transmission feels like it is slipping, it may be going out on you. Transmission failures are a known issue for the 2003's.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Have you had anyone look at it?

Maybe a Honda service shop or good repair shop? Maybe even a place that will give you a free estimate (I know, they can be hard to find)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
if its what i explained to you if your cars automatic tranny is failing ... if its stick your clutch is gone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait let me try to help you out ... so you go through first gear normally ... then second gear you punch it but like it goes to around 4000 rpm and it like lags/goes down around 400 rpm for a second and it goes up again?
it's an automagic tranny. Its usually really quick and responsive. Doesn't take much for it to reach 5000rpms but while getting to 3500 rpm it lags untill I get to say 4 then it has the open up effect of VTEC. Its a noticeable amount of power that kicks in. I've noticed that the cars GradeLogic transmission will down shift its self when it never has before but its harder to get it to downshift. Something that shouldn't happen with a 5 spd auto... It downshift while downhill and its noticable when it wasn't before. I personally think its electronic because the tranny doesn't feel like its slipping any and once it gets past that ''lag'' stage, it hooks it up...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate your guys help. Nobody has looked at it and it hasn't been tuned up. It hasn't had timing issues or ever even been changed/inspected. I know with that its bad to have the ''dont fix it unless it breaks'' attitude. but it has always been an economical, responsive powerful 4 cyl so I didn't bother with it. I bought it with 91k on it 2 1/2 years ago. an older couple owned or just someone who listened to oldies and gospel (according to the radio presets) so I knew it had been in good hands. My sisters 05 Altima S loaded has 170k miles and runs like a hoopty junker. I trusted it to Oklahoma City for the IKE evacuation and would do it anytime in the future. 85 mph and got 36-38 consecutive mpg. I did change the tension pulley and drive belt. and ran some Lucas brand fuel system cleaner like my room mate in his 07 Si Sedan-si died in Galveston to a drunk driver and he left us for a Mazda speed3.

·
4,637 Posts
Don't have to worry about the timing belt since you don't have one. In 03 Honda dropped the belt in favor of a chain. It should last awhile.

I'd do some simple preventative maintenance like some atf drain and fills with Honda Z-1. What color is the atf currently? You may need to do 1-3 drain and fills to get the color back to light pink. Do this instead of a transmission flush that could stir up contaminants and block a passage. This is what Honda Corp. recommends. Put some new plugs in OEM NGK plugs..about $10 each from Advance Auto.

Down the road or now replace the pcv valve with an oem one. www.collegehillshonda.com has a decent price. That way your car won't turn into an oil burner. Replace air and cabin filters.

Have dealer or diy the coolant for some extra long life Honda coolant type 2.5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have an auto or a manual? If it is an auto, and the transmission feels like it is slipping, it may be going out on you. Transmission failures are a known issue for the 2003's.

03's dont have a different transmission than the 04'-07's though do they?

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
If it bogs through low revs, then wakes up at high revs, it's time to check the timing chain. Especially if this happened suddenly.

Pull the valve cover, look down at the crank pulley, ONLY turn the crankshaft clockwise line up the white mark on the crank pulley to the pointer on the cover. The two arrows on the cam gears should be relatively up, and the two hash marks on the sprockets must be together. If they aren't it's jumped time. A couple of teeth, it'll run, not well. More than that, and it can bend the valves. Bad deal.

It sounds like the engine rotated backwards, by design, when it does, the chain tensioner backs off. If there's excessive wear in the chain and guides, it can come off the crank gear. When you restart it, it jumps a couple of teeth until all the slack is taken back up again.. Normally, when they have no wear, this loss of tension isn't a big deal.

·
04 Accord 4dr 2.4std ex-l
15 Posts
Buddy i think your a/c compressor might be your problem.

Take your a/c belt off & check if your power come back.

If so,that means your compressor bearing are seizing up,a know problem on all

Honda.The compressor is taking all your power to make him rotate.

I'm pretty sure on that one.:thmsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
You can't remove the a/c belt. The water pump will stop turning and you'll have way more issues than just no power after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, the compressor is the first thing that comes to mind... My Integra did that, made a horrible whine noise too... I disconnected my battery the other day and let it sit for a few. I think what my problem was, was something the computer was telling the car because it hasnt done it since. Now, I get to spend $220 on a new cooling fan! Ahh! The pleasures of high mileage... Thanks again guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts