Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 4 cylinder automatic, she just rolled over 243,000 recently on the original trans and engine. When I shift from drive to reverse, I get a nasty crunch sound. When I shift from park to drive, it's quiet. It's when I go from a gear, to another gear. (i.e. drive to reverse, reverse to drive). The transmission isn't giving issues as far as slipping, or the typical 6th gen trans problems, but this is concerning me. It's loud, and a nasty sound. Advice? (unrelated, but I did install a hayden trans cooler mounted in front of the condenser, and it seems to shift better on these hot summer days, i recommend adding one if you know what you are doing)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My guess is a motor mount issue. Switching gears (D to R) will cause the engine to move twice as much as going from Park to D. Have someone else shift the transmission between D and R while you watch the engine movement. A little engine rock is ok, but excessive movement causes other problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It rocks a lot. I mean it would spill a glass if it were sitting on the valve cover, that's how much it moves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.