Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2013 Honda Accord EX-L I4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a very significant vibration when backing out of my driveway. It sounds and feels like something is hung-up underneath the car or something is rubbing like maybe the tire on the fender liner. As I start backing-up everything is fine. Then after about 20ft, I make a slight right turn and go down a slight slope. At this point I feel the vibration and hear it. It lasts for about 10 feet or just a couple seconds and then it goes away.

Now this problem only happens about 1/4 of the time and the only time I really do much backing is out my driveway. I asked the service person at the dealership if they could put it up an lift and look at it. They said that if they can't repeat the problem, then they are not going to be able to diagnose the problem. He thought it could be could be rust on the brake rotors. I guess it could be something related to the brake calipers.

The car only only has about 500 miles on it and it's happened about 5 times so far.

Any suggestions?

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
120 Posts
I am experiencing a very significant vibration when backing out of my driveway. It sounds and feels like something is hung-up underneath the car or something is rubbing like maybe the tire on the fender liner. As I start backing-up everything is fine. Then after about 20ft, I make a slight right turn and go down a slight slope. At this point I feel the vibration and hear it. It lasts for about 10 feet or just a couple seconds and then it goes away.

Now this problem only happens about 1/4 of the time and the only time I really do much backing is out my driveway. I asked the service person at the dealership if they could put it up an lift and look at it. They said that if they can't repeat the problem, then they are not going to be able to diagnose the problem. He thought it could be could be rust on the brake rotors. I guess it could be something related to the brake calipers.

The car only only has about 500 miles on it and it's happened about 5 times so far.

Any suggestions?

I could just be simply corrosion on your rotors. I am assuming this is in the morning after its been sitting outside all night? The rotors I find will corrode fairly quickly (Faster than my other cars I've had). Once you tap the brakes a couple times, it cleans it right up. So that could be why it stops after a couple seconds, or 20 feet.

If you wet your rotors (from washing your car) and you leave it out over night, the corrosion can get bad enough to prevent the car from moving while in reverse with your foot off the brake and gas pedals (Like the handbrake is on). Happened with my RDX. Wash then in the garage for a couple days.

The sound could be a descrbied as grindy with brake pedal vibration. The cabin my vibrate as well. In the case of my RDX, it was a loud snap followed by the grind.

If this is the case. Then its normal. It should get better as the brakes break in (I think?).

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds consistent with what the service manager said. And it does seem to be a problem isolated to the mornings. It's just so pronounced that if feels like something is VERY WRONG, like the transmission is about to fall out of the car. My 2011 Accord has never done this. Well, I guess I've 3 years or 36,000 mile to figure-it-out.

Thanks for you input.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
With vibration and noise on slopes..my first thought was 'no way his motor mounts are shot or messed up already!"

...but I think the brake issue is likely more correct and plausible. And yeah lol, at least you have the warranty. How far away is the dealership? Maybe you can have one of them come by early in the morning or go get them in another car and come back to get yours.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealership is kind of hike from where I'm at. I would like to try to replicate it on the flat before I get to the slope in my driveway. Also, maybe I will try to keep my foot off the brake and see if it still does it.

Thanks.

·
LoVe Honda
81 Posts

Any suggestions?

I think it could be the cvt transmission haven't warm it up yet when you started a car. And when you tried to back it up it could feel the vibration because it happened to me before for couple times. Since then, every time when I go back home I'll do the back up to park into my garage so in the next morning I don't have to worry about the vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.