Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

it has been about -10 degrees Celsius here in Ontario and when i was going to work in the morning i pushed my clutch pedal in to start the car and it made a judder sound. As i continued to drive the car the clutch pedal was lower and felt spongy at times. However as the car warmed up it returned to its normal position and not as spongy. I brought my car to the mechanic and said he can't make any adjustments and if i wanted to fix it i would have to take the transmission apart and then fix accordingly. Any suggestion on what i should do prior to committing to a full repair.

For context
148,000km
honda accord v6 6-6
transmission fluid changed last year
Clutch changed two years ago and had to resurface the flywheel

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the Accord has a hydraulic clutch You might check the clutch (not transmission) fluid for contaminants and level, or see if the master cylinder or slave cylinder needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I don't understand what the mechanic was telling you.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
^^Agreed. While brake fluid has a relatively low freezing point (-50C for prestone dot 3), moisture does not. When was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed/bled? IMO it should be every 2-3 years regardless of miles, similar to brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
^^Agreed. While brake fluid has a relatively low freezing point (-50C for prestone dot 3), moisture does not. When was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed/bled? IMO it should be every 2-3 years regardless of miles, similar to brake fluid.
When I did the upgrade to remove the clutch delay valve I took the opportunity to also upgrade the fluid to Wilwood high temp DOT4 fluid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the responses! I had bled and changed the transmission fluid with OEM fluid last year. Looks like the clutch did not like the extreme cold of onterrible :p after a week the car has returned to normal functionality.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
thanks for all the responses! I had bled and changed the transmission fluid with OEM fluid last year. Looks like the clutch did not like the extreme cold of onterrible :p after a week the car has returned to normal functionality.
Another member who was living in northern Alberta found by switching to Amsoil (which is a real syn.) solved his cold shifting problems as the fluid can handle colder temp.'s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll keep that in mind to switch it next maintenance interval. I’m moving to Texas February 1st for a while so hopefully I don’t run into this problem again 😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts