Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tire Pressure Warning Light went off today. We're on a road trip and had driven about 350 miles. The low fuel light came on with about 70 miles of fuel left. The tire pressure warning came on at the same moment. Stopped and bought gas and the light went off. But the tire pressure light remained.

I manually checked the pressures with two different gauges and they were fine. Yesterday I got my first oil change at the dealer and had the tires rotated. The maintenance minder had been on to tell me to get oil. When I picked up the car that reminder was off of course. Also noticed that the A trip had been reset. Wonder if that's related?

Anyway, the light is still on as we set up camp at the hotel for the night. Guess I'll dig through the menus and figure out how to turn it off and / or reset it. But I'm curious if this is considered a problem or just something wasn't reset correctly?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's common for that to happen after a rotation. As long as the pressure is good, you just need to recalibrate the TPMS. Page 468 of the OM (unless hybrids get a different OM) will help you with that. The button is below the VSA on/off button.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's common for that to happen after a rotation. As long as the pressure is good, you just need to recalibrate the TPMS. The button for that is below the VSA on/off button. I forget how exactly you have to press it, but it's in the OM.
right on. we're seeing this all the time. recalibrating the TPMS after every tire pressure setting, tire replacement, rotation, is something that tech's arent used to. I hate to admit it but its common for us to forget.

these new systems are very sensitive and used the wheel speed sensors to detect low tires. A tire with low pressure has less rolling circumference, therefore spins faster. since every assembly is different and rotating the tires is neccessary because tires wear faster on the drive wheels, the ABS/VSA thinks the newly quicker spinning wheels are losing air. (i wonder what it thinks of the newly slower spinning wheels are doing LOL)

some models you can reset with the iMID (intellegent Multi-Information Display) Some use the button, some can be done both ways. All in the OM as mbnc said.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this happened because the tech forgot to reset the TPMS? Remember, it didn't go off until the low fuel light went on which happened about 400 miles after the service.

I'll add that it was quite an aggravation. We're on a long road trip, low on fuel in the Smoky Mountains, not sure where the next exit is and get this warning. Ironic that I also just posted about Fix-a-Flat in another thread and realizing that I don't have a spare tire. I don't mention to the family that the light is on right away.

When getting gas I can't get a reading I trust with my fancy electronic tire gauge. Had to drop off some movies at a Redbox and there was one by a Walmart so I bought a regular gauge there. Check the tires, lose a valve stem cap, search for it, find it. I also called Honda Roadside Assistance who couldn't do anything but dispatch a truck. It's Saturday night and the dealer is closed. </rant> </1stworldproblem>

·
Registered
841 Posts
So this happened because the tech forgot to reset the TPMS? Remember, it didn't go off until the low fuel light went on which happened about 400 miles after the service.

I'll add that it was quite an aggravation. We're on a long road trip, low on fuel in the Smoky Mountains, not sure where the next exit is and get this warning. Ironic that I also just posted about Fix-a-Flat in another thread and realizing that I don't have a spare tire. I don't mention to the family that the light is on right away.

When getting gas I can't get a reading I trust with my fancy electronic tire gauge. Had to drop off some movies at a Redbox and there was one by a Walmart so I bought a regular gauge there. Check the tires, lose a valve stem cap, search for it, find it. I also called Honda Roadside Assistance who couldn't do anything but dispatch a truck. It's Saturday night and the dealer is closed. </rant> </1stworldproblem>
yes, it can take that long without a sudden drop in wheel assembly revolution.

either that or they did reset it and you did have low pressure.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
2,314 Posts
Be lucky you don't have a Ford!! I've had to take out Fusion back EVERY time after an oil change/tire rotation because the TPMS sensors in Fords have to be 'relearned' every single time a tire is taken off the car. HUGE HUGE PITA!!!

Reset the sensor like someone else said (while stopped, hold the switch on the left of the dash until the TPMS light flashes, then drive). I did the same thing when I had my snow tires put on my last Accord, the TPMS light never showed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reset it. The button should be on the left side bottom, a little below the ECON button. I reset mine and it turned back on again. Turns out I had a nail. I had to replace the tire at ~1000 miles (near brand new) and a month later it turned back on again. Filled it up, checked pressure and the light came back on. Turns out I had another nail.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Reset it. The button should be on the left side bottom, a little below the ECON button. I reset mine and it turned back on again. Turns out I had a nail. I had to replace the tire at ~1000 miles (near brand new) and a month later it turned back on again. Filled it up, checked pressure and the light came back on. Turns out I had another nail.
wow thats a bitch huh!?!?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,296 Posts
OP, it could have also happened if your car was very heavily loaded causing the tires to compress some.

Jay

·
5,296 Posts
Be lucky you don't have a Ford!! I've had to take out Fusion back EVERY time after an oil change/tire rotation because the TPMS sensors in Fords have to be 'relearned' every single time a tire is taken off the car. HUGE HUGE PITA!!!

Reset the sensor like someone else said (while stopped, hold the switch on the left of the dash until the TPMS light flashes, then drive). I did the same thing when I had my snow tires put on my last Accord, the TPMS light never showed.
There are lots of aftermarket TPMS reset tools out there. It may be more cost effective to buy one. Also a lot of tire service shops have the technology to reset them now.

I had to buy one for our odyssey for winter/summer tire change outs. I was not going to but we found out the hard way that Honda does not allow you to turn off the traction control if the TPMS malfunction light is on...wtf.

Jay

·
Registered
841 Posts
There are lots of aftermarket TPMS reset tools out there. It may be more cost effective to buy one. Also a lot of tire service shops have the technology to reset them now.

I had to buy one for our odyssey for winter/summer tire change outs. I was not going to but we found out the hard way that Honda does not allow you to turn off the traction control if the TPMS malfunction light is on...wtf.

Jay
you mean, turn ON the traction control. when the light is illuminated, it is innoperative.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, it could have also happened if your car was very heavily loaded causing the tires to compress some.

Jay
Reset it this morning. Just go into Vehicle Settings on the main cluster and it's right there. Drove for three hours and haven't seen it since.

I don't know if you'd consider two adults and a child as heavily loaded. We had some luggage but not all that much. I keep the trunk pretty full day to day with my work stuff anyway.

Again, it's interesting that the light came on simultaneous with the low fuel light.

·
Banned
971 Posts
Again, it's interesting that the light came on simultaneous with the low fuel light.
The firmware CPU in the car looks for low pressure, low fuel, and whatever and as it was checking it got two flags: low fuel and low tire pressure. Many firmware based checks are performed periodically so when it was time to check for the flags, there were two, which is the reason why you got two at the same time. It is exactly as designed and the two flags just occurred at the same time.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my wife's car days and hundreds of miles after its first service of oil and filter change and tire rotation at the dealer the TPMS came on and I did the same thing as you, check pressures and they were fine. I reset it via the IMID and it has not been back. I am almost ready (10% oil life) to change the oil and filter and tire rotation again, I will be doing it myself this time. I will see if I do not reset the TPMS if it happens again, not to much trouble to reset.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The firmware CPU in the car looks for low pressure, low fuel, and whatever and as it was checking it got two flags: low fuel and low tire pressure. Many firmware based checks are performed periodically so when it was time to check for the flags, there were two, which is the reason why you got two at the same time. It is exactly as designed and the two flags just occurred at the same time.
How frequently does it check?

·
Banned
971 Posts
How frequently does it check?
I don't have Honda's firmware code but typically there is a 60 sec or 120 sec timer depending on the CPU's clock. The low fuel and pressure just happened to occur around the same time. Your low pressure is not based on a single occurence -the car's CPU is looking for persistant mismatch in the wheel speed and it occurred the same time as your low fuel. Nothing magiical about this.

·
5,296 Posts
you mean, turn ON the traction control. when the light is illuminated, it is innoperative.
No, I mean it can not be turned OFF.

Attachments

·
Don't hate on my color!!
2,314 Posts

Jay
We never got a tool because the dealer offers free oil changes and rotations for life. At this point, we're about to dump the Fusion for a TLX anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts