Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's looking like my lower control arm bushing (right side) is going to need replacing soon. I read up on several threads in this forum and other sites, and I get the impression it may be a good idea to go ahead and replace both front LCAs and bushings. I would like to get new LCAs and bushings already together to eliminate the need to pop old bushings out and install new ones.

I changed my strut/shock assemblies a few months ago, so feel pretty confident about replacing the LCA+bushings if I can get them as a kit.

Any kits or sources you guys would recommend?

Mine is a 2005 Accord EX 4cyl, 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Why replace the whole arm?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the gist of it was "while you're changing the bushings", go ahead and replace the control arms. I mean, is it worth doing? Or just focus on the bushings and get a shop to swap them out?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plus I think it had to do with how tough it is to get the old bushings out and press the new ones in...and a new control arm with new bushings already installed would make the whole process easier. Granted, more money...but wondering if it's worth going ahead and doing now. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Is the extra cost of an alignment too worth replacing the control arm? Granted you may want to do that anyway. Either find someone with a press to do it cheap, or maybe the autozone ball joint tool can press in/out.

Either way I wouldn't replace the whole arm unless it was damaged.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bushing are not a simple DIY. A hydraulic press is required. I've seen write ups where guys cut them out with a sawzall & hammer out the steel shell. Not worth the time considering the cost of a new arm. A shop will charge for their services, factor that into the total cost versus new.

Down time is another issue. Can you can tolerate the car being out of service for a day while the bushings are replaced?

New arms are relatively inexpensive. Check the aftermarket suppliers such as Rock Auto and others for pricing.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
You replace the whole arm because it's a pain in the butt to press out old bushings and press in new ones. Most of us don't have a hydraulic press sitting around. Plus, if you don't press in new bushings properly, then you'll have issues.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I was thinking from all the other threads I've read. Prob gonna go after those control arm kits with the bushings already properly installed. If you have suggested sources for these, please advise.

·
Registered
804 Posts
i replaced BOTH arms entirely for i believe $65 each.. its been about a year..

i see the price has came down ..

and

i did it this way for No other reason than i seriously hate hassles... i didnt want to drive all over the place (in someone elses car, or have the, drive me all over) i just want to get the parts and put them on... they have been on for almost a year.. no issues at all..

·
Doing trumps "I've read".
110 Posts
+1

I have a hydraulic press and I still replaced the entire LCA. It's not as easy as it sounds and as stated here, if you screw them up, you may need to replace the bushing. Pressing in the bearings into the knuckle is also a PITA. Time is money and to have it done correctly, I'd replace the entire LCA. I would recommend new through bolts when doing the job as the old ones in salt-areas of the country may freeze and snap or outright refuse to budge.

Reactions: tobybul

·
Registered
305 Posts
i replaced BOTH arms entirely for i believe $65 each.. its been about a year..

i see the price has came down .. http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-520-69...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6JBSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i did it this way for No other reason than i seriously hate hassles... i didnt want to drive all over the place (in someone elses car, or have the, drive me all over) i just want to get the parts and put them on... they have been on for almost a year.. no issues at all..
wtff??!

Kauffman tire wants to charge me near $800 for both front lower control arms!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,679 Posts
wtff??!

Kauffman tire wants to charge me near $800 for both front lower control arms!
I hope that includes alignment. I'm sure you could find a much lower price if you shop around, but then you have to worry about the quality of the work (dufus banging on your car with a BFH). If you can't, or just don't want to DIY, you have to pay. You could spend under $100 if you press the bushings yourself.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Are you guys ever replacing the front UCAs? The bushing that seems to crack the most is the big one on the front LCA, often called the compliance bushing.

Complete new front LCAs are $55/side from rockauto. That's 3 bushings being replaced. I'm thinking of doing those and checking around for slop in the upper fronts, rears, and tie rod ends while I have a discount code.

Rock Auto discount code: 2835764226111752

1 - 13 of 13 Posts