Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, because I haven't seen any posts about it, if anyone has cut their stock springs like half a coil or a full coil to lower their car? I always see coil-over posts but in you could cut a little out and get a better looking "stock" ride height because I think they wheel gap is a little much right now but don't want to pay for coil-overs.

·
Shift_ STILL Not A Honda
318 Posts
You can do that, but you'll regret doing so in the long run. Cause the springs will start to make either cracking or creaking noises. Plus you're stock shocks will be shot in no time at all. If coil-overs are too much for you, then just do what 80% of the drops are around here and just buy lowering springs for your car. MUCH cheaper than coilovers and if you do some slammer ones, they can look just as low as coilovers.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I was wondering, because I haven't seen any posts about it, if anyone has cut their stock springs like half a coil or a full coil to lower their car? I always see coil-over posts but in you could cut a little out and get a better looking "stock" ride height because I think they wheel gap is a little much right now but don't want to pay for coil-overs.
And bounce your way home from the shop. If you want to do that just spend $100 on a Pro Kit

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
No don't do that. That is wayyyy worst than buying Ebay coilover sleeves! Here's my suggestion, depending on what kind of job you have, but call up your supervisor, ask him/her if you can work extra hours or work on your days off. Then get yourself some lowering springs. :thmsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats your reasons against it? Has anyone here actually done it and posted reviews?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I was asking because its common in the mustang world. I know many guys that have done it and it retains mostly stock ride quality, not bouncy, and handles as well or better than stock and give the nice lowered look. Didn't know how it was with hondas. I know a guy who road races a lot and said cutting his stock springs preformed very well for awhile then he upgraded to real springs. Not trying to start a fight, just saying I feel like a lot of people dismiss it and say its retarded with no personal knowledge just hearsay.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well I was asking because its common in the mustang world. I know many guys that have done it and it retains mostly stock ride quality, not bouncy, and handles as well or better than stock and give the nice lowered look. Didn't know how it was with hondas. I know a guy who road races a lot and said cutting his stock springs preformed very well for awhile then he upgraded to real springs. Not trying to start a fight, just saying I feel like a lot of people dismiss it and say its retarded with no personal knowledge just hearsay.
If it is a temporary thing until you get springs, look into spring "clamps". I would hnestly just wait though and do it right.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I rode on ebay coilover sleeves for a good 4 months on stock shocks without any of them being blown. Only downside is that it's a bouncy ride. But it'll drop your car like, a big amount. And i know for a fact none of my shocks are blown cause i just install Koni yellow shocks ( I got tired of the bounciness) and all 4 stocks are still good. I really wouldn't recommend cutting your springs. If any case, i got Tein H-techs and S-techs if you wanna buy em. I sell em for dirt cheap. haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts