Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here, as I'm eyeing a '14 Accord V6 sedan for my mother, and a '08-'13 Accord coupe for myself.

Just a little background on me... Basically, I'm a modaholic. I've built 4 PowerStroke diesels (all around 600ish RWHP), a BMW (450 AWHP), and now I currently own an F-150 EcoBoost (currently 400 RWHP) that I am slowly modifying.

Some examples, just for fun! :D

So basically, my mom is wanting to buy a car here pretty soon. She currently drives a 2006 325i that is soon to hit 200k miles, and all the little issues are starting to show their ugly heads. She puts a good bit of mileage on a car, so we need something that will last. We have been looking at newer Infinitis, BMWs, and even a few Lexus's; but after her BMW being a pain, and mine was also somewhat of a pain, we are not sure we want another high-end foreign car. In the back of my mind, I always remembered the Accord. Our grandmother (who lives with us) just got her '14 Accord V6 sedan with every option, and loves it. My roommate just ordered a '14 Accord (4 cylinder, base model) and it should be here Friday. I really like the looks of the new bodystyles. The main issue is my mom has always driven "higher end" cars, and she is a little hesitant to buy a Honda. I showed her this picture of a lowered '13 Accord, and she said she would buy that in a heartbeat.

(Yes, I know, my mom is awesome). I told her that most likely the ride quality would be nearly destroyed with a set of coilovers (as was my BMW with KW V1's), but I completely forgot about lowering springs.

Are there any lowering springs that will ride like factory? It will be a (bada**) family car, so that is her main concern. Cost isn't too much of a factor (would like to stay under $3500 or so, for the whole wheel/tire and suspension setup), because this car is much cheaper than some of those stupid German cars. :yes:

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Welcome, those look like some nice projects. Generally speaking, the less severe of a drop with springs the more "comfortable" the ride should be. If you go with a 3/4"-1" drop the ride will likely remain comfortable. Once you get in the 1.5"+ range of drops, the ride can become harsh and bouncy, at least that has been my experience modifying my past Hondas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, those look like some nice projects. Generally speaking, the less severe of a drop with springs the more "comfortable" the ride should be. If you go with a 3/4"-1" drop the ride will likely remain comfortable. Once you get in the 1.5"+ range of drops, the ride can become harsh and bouncy, at least that has been my experience modifying my past Hondas.
What about the car listed above? I'd want it to sit very similar, or maybe a 1/2" higher.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
That looks to be a pretty big drop, has to be 2"+ but its harder to tell with the larger wheels. That car undoubtedly has a ride that any mother coming from a newer BMW would not enjoy.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Maybe it's just the crappy roads around here, but I feel like my Accord rides pretty stiff/harsh already. Wish it was a tad softer

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
HFP spring/strut kit will get you the best ride quality for lowering... but it really doesn't lower it a lot. There are no aftermarket performance struts being made for the new accord yet, so the ride quality will not be that great with just springs. I ran H&R springs for a month and they were ok, but bouncy on rough/uneven roads.

That accord in that pic is lowered on coilovers or bags. I prefer the ride my coilovers gave me, firm but not rough or overly bouncy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Coilovers are a must my friend. You will be able to adjust the ride height and dampening to her likening and she may even want to be lower than what the springs will allow. Springs will most likely ruin the stock struts in less than 10k miles. If I was going to run a spring setup I would get koni Yellow shocks (if they have these for the '14s yet?) and springs. But that will be just as expensive as a decent coilover setup. Those rims are Avant Garde m310's on the accord you posted a picture of. I just purchased a set of AG m368's that I will be putting on my 8thgen soon. Very nice brand of wheels and I got wheels + tires (balanced) + hubcentric rings + OEM tpms sensors for 1600 even with free shipping. Pretty fair price if I say so.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,161 Posts

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
...Those rims are Avant Garde m310's on the accord you posted a picture of. I just purchased a set of AG m368's that I will be putting on my 8thgen soon. Very nice brand of wheels and I got wheels + tires (balanced) + hubcentric rings + OEM tpms sensors for 1600 even with free shipping. Pretty fair price if I say so.
Those wheels are 20" Velgen VMB5, not Avant. The Avant spokes have a different layout, very similar to BMW M3 CSL BBS wheels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Major fail. lol I totally forgot about the velgen's. But you think stock struts can last with lowering springs? The roads here would eat those up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HFP spring/strut kit will get you the best ride quality for lowering... but it really doesn't lower it a lot. There are no aftermarket performance struts being made for the new accord yet, so the ride quality will not be that great with just springs. I ran H&R springs for a month and they were ok, but bouncy on rough/uneven roads.

That accord in that pic is lowered on coilovers or bags. I prefer the ride my coilovers gave me, firm but not rough or overly bouncy.
Any advice on a coilover setup with enough adjustment to have a decent ride quality?

Coilovers are a must my friend. You will be able to adjust the ride height and dampening to her likening and she may even want to be lower than what the springs will allow. Springs will most likely ruin the stock struts in less than 10k miles. If I was going to run a spring setup I would get koni Yellow shocks (if they have these for the '14s yet?) and springs. But that will be just as expensive as a decent coilover setup. Those rims are Avant Garde m310's on the accord you posted a picture of. I just purchased a set of AG m368's that I will be putting on my 8thgen soon. Very nice brand of wheels and I got wheels + tires (balanced) + hubcentric rings + OEM tpms sensors for 1600 even with free shipping. Pretty fair price if I say so.
Although those are Velgen wheels, I will probably be going with AG's anyways. Much cheaper, with an awesome look. I had them on my BMW.

vs Avant Garde M310

HEHE. These wheels are definitely being considered, though.

You seem to disagree with my opinion that coilovers will affect the ride quality. Care to explain? This is why I'm here. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are there any lowering springs that will ride like factory? It will be a (bada**) family car, so that is her main concern. Cost isn't too much of a factor (would like to stay under $3500 or so, for the whole wheel/tire and suspension setup), because this car is much cheaper than some of those stupid German cars. :yes:
As mentioned, coilovers with an adjustable shock will be the best solution as you can get a noticeable drop and keep a plush ride. If you do just want to get a little lower with springs, the Tein S-Tech or Eibach Pro Kit are going to be great options. They are both progressive designs like a stock spring so they stiffen more as the suspension compresses. Feel free to hit us up when you're ready to upgrade Mom's car and we'll be happy to help out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honestly, if your mom is used to a "luxury" car...steer her towards an Acura TL. Just as reliable as an Accord, slightly more luxurious on the inside and 100% better dealer service. And, TL's dont sell well, the new model is coming out next year, so the dealers are willing to deal big time on them. I would not be surprised if you could get a TL with the tech package for just a few thousand more than a fully loaded Accord EX-L V6. My dad has a 2010 TL and he loves it. He paid nearly $6000 less than the sticker price back in 2010. While the Accord has a few features the TL doesn't have, the TL has a few the Accord does not have like a great ELS Audio system. I would recommend at least test driving it before buying the Accord. If there was a 2 door version of the TSX or TL, I would have bought one!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Honestly, if your mom is used to a "luxury" car...steer her towards an Acura TL. Just as reliable as an Accord, slightly more luxurious on the inside and 100% better dealer service. And, TL's dont sell well, the new model is coming out next year, so the dealers are willing to deal big time on them. I would not be surprised if you could get a TL with the tech package for just a few thousand more than a fully loaded Accord EX-L V6. My dad has a 2010 TL and he loves it. He paid nearly $6000 less than the sticker price back in 2010. While the Accord has a few features the TL doesn't have, the TL has a few the Accord does not have like a great ELS Audio system. I would recommend at least test driving it before buying the Accord. If there was a 2 door version of the TSX or TL, I would have bought one!
I was thinking the same thing! Very rarely are drivers who are used to luxury cars happy with “non-luxury” cars. I would have suggested the TSX. It’s the same size as the 325i, luxurious, classy and sporty. And with the 280 hp V6 it is fast too!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The problem with lowering a car, well one problem anyway, is that to compensate for the reduced suspension travel the spring rate has to increase. That right there degrades ride comfort. If the spring rate on the lowering spring isn't increased sufficiently, as is sometimes the case in poorly designed springs, the suspension will more frequently run into the bump stops, and that's even worse for ride quality.

While many folks feel the tradeoffs for a lower look is worth the degraded ride, I doubt your mom will think so. It might be ok for a day or two, but pretty soon she'll feel that she's missing something important in her new car; the comfort she expected from a new car. Just take your mom to a Honda dealer and have her test drive the car. Either she'll like the way it looks and drives or she won't.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Any advice on a coilover setup with enough adjustment to have a decent ride?
I bought the Ksports after reading several good reviews from other members and I was not let down. They ride great, known for longest warranty and good customer service plus they are very affordable at around $850(when compared to the $3,300 Stance PC+3 coilovers on my Evo). Now I the dampening at level 28 and preload a little higher (1.5 turns in on each) which "voids the warranty" but it makes for a very smooth ride for a car this low.

I traded my 10' 335i in on a lease to purchase my sport. The BMW had so many trips to the dealer throughout my three years with it that there was no way I was going to keep the car without going broke. Accord payments, gas bills and insurance is about half what I was paying for the BMW... But the refinement and performance is about half as much too. That being said, I have no regrets about purchasing my accord and would do it all over again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't understand why people lower cars like that. Sedans usually have bad enough ground clearance as it is. Those things'll barely clear a speed bump. You're only going to scrape the front end eventually. How do you manage to pull in and out of gas stations that have an incline that makes you bottom out?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Carefully, slowly and at an angle. I've been driving lowered cars since before the first fast and furious made it "cool". It takes some getting used to but it becomes a habit over time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you're also forgetting when running on a 20" rim and tire combo the ride will also become a lot more harsh. Combine that with lowering the car and I guarantee your mom will not be happy with the ride quality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts