Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows if anyones coming out with an LSD for the v6's...
I think we should get a list going to see how many people are willing to get an LSD

Dont hate if you think im going to be racing, its just conditions with snow in Jersey **** and read some reviews that car performs a lot better with LSD...

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you have sh*tty tires, no LSD is going to help you in the snow. Getting a good set of snow tires is a better option IMO.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath. If a company would make some just for DA members it would be expensive.

·
VIK
192 Posts
patel..vat is lsd?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What's LSD?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
patel..vat is lsd?
LSD is short for limited slip differential. common on rear wheel drive cars and all wheel drive cars. not many front wheel drive cars have it but the newer civic si's do.

What LSD does is that when you floor your car from a complete stop, you dont have both of the front wheels spinning on the ground, only one does. What it does is that it locks both the axles together to make sure they both turn giving you better traction. This also reduces torque steer ( not drastically but enough to notice) and wheel hop/bogging that you feel.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
LSD is short for limited slip differential. common on rear wheel drive cars and all wheel drive cars. not many front wheel drive cars have it but the newer civic si's do.

What LSD does is that when you floor your car from a complete stop, you dont have both of the front wheels spinning on the ground, only one does. What it does is that it locks both the axles together to make sure they both turn giving you better traction. This also reduces torque steer ( not drastically but enough to notice) and wheel hop/bogging that you feel.
What's the difference between LSD, and stability/traction control?

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts

I am so proud of you for doing your own research! :)

Diety: Traction/stability control is electronic and it cuts engine power and/or applies brakes when needed. Limited Slip Diff. allows for both wheels to receive power upon throttle application, thereby creating a smoother, better launch from a stop, or even while in motion (depending upon speed, then again you aren't going to be spinning your wheels going into 3rd on a drag strip)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Thanks!

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
I wish the Accord V6 6MT had LSD too. In fact, I don't get why it does not: the 2001-2003 Acura CL Type-S had it with the 6 MT as well.

All the old school muscle car people commonly referred to this as "posi-track", short for postitive traction differential. But there is a bit of a difference between LSD and a locking diff.....

"Lockers" as 4 wheelers call them, permanently lock the differential to spin both weels equally, all the time. It actually has to be engaged manually, because if you drive on normal surfaces with the differential permanently locked, you will break gears. When you turn, the wheels on normal differentials turn at different speeds in the turn (outside spins faster than the inside as it covers more area in the same amount of time). If your differential was locked, the inside and outside wheels would spin the same and force the difference in innertia to your differential and transaxle. Not good for all those pieces parts.

What lockers ARE good for is getting out if completely stuck, and 4 wheeling in sand, mud, ice, and other nasty weather or surfaces where there is enough "give" in the road surface. It's full power at all speeds to both wheels.

Posi-track, or LSD, has a mechanism inside the differential like a clutch disc. When it slips it automatically locks the diff to put the power to both wheels. But it only does that if one wheel spins and the other does not spin at all. Once the other spins the clutch is released so the differential can function normally, letting the wheels spin at different speeds in corners.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
LSD can actually be worse in snow an ice as both wheels spin so vehicle can go sideway - fishtail from side to side with RWD . They are better on dry or even wet roads an do give better traction in those conditions .

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also would like a LSD (limited slip differential) for the Accord. Plus it would be nice if the Acccord had equal length half shafts to reduce the torque steer they have.

And "fastball" you refer to "lockers" as being manually selected, they can be either manually selected by cable or by air like the air-locker, or they can be automatic like a detroit locker.

"Lockers" are also great to get going in a stright line on tarmac with more power then one wheel can handle, which is where the V6 is.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you guys do know that the TL 6mt (gen3 not sure if gen4 has it) does have LSD also right? If you can find out if the gen4 TL has LSD and the transmission is similar to your accord you can got to acura and buy it.

That we we gen7 accord did. We bought gen3 TL 6mt transmission. But make sure you have extra cash on the side to put it in. The part might be cheap but the labor to do it is killer.

Best thing about LSD is it helps a lot with tq steer and during raining condition for DD. On the track its great for those twisty and turny

·
The Stig's day off...
223 Posts
I think one of the acura LSD is compatible, but there is a small bit of custom work necessary if I remember correctly.

Would be great if we could figure out a way to get it done, I'm dying for an LSD on my car with all the wet weather we have here.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i spoke to my friend who is an acura service tech and he said that there is a possibility of the 07-08 acura tl type s's LSD may fit our car.
now i have to do some research =D gata find engine model numbers and trans model number and see if thy are the same as outs =D.
He also said he will ask a friend that may know more about it than he does =D
crossing fingers...

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you have sh*tty tires, no LSD is going to help you in the snow. Getting a good set of snow tires is a better option IMO.
I completely agree. This is my first year with snow tires (General Altimax Arctic w/ 16" black steelies http://tinyurl.com/46r2fus ). It cost me about $550.00 all together but, its the best money I've ever spent. Now i actually love driving in the snow. I still drive like an old lady but have the utmost confidence.

I also live in NJ...big snow on Wednesday.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't understand why Honda did not go with a LSD in the 6-6???? As was stated by others, LSD won't do much of anything for you in the snow or wet.....trust me, my '06 Si had LSD and getting up my driveway in the snow or pulling away from a traffic light in the snow or wet was no easy task. LSD is what you want for a great launch......in dry conditions.....it will provide no benefit to you in the wet or snow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can't understand why Honda did not go with a LSD in the 6-6???? As was stated by others, LSD won't do much of anything for you in the snow or wet.....trust me, my '06 Si had LSD and getting up my driveway in the snow or pulling away from a traffic light in the snow or wet was no easy task. LSD is what you want for a great launch......in dry conditions.....it will provide no benefit to you in the wet or snow.
Cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts