Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and want to say first that this is an outstanding forum and source of information/advice. I'm hoping you all can help.

I have a 2010 Accord (4 cyl., cloth interior) that is about 5 months old with 5000 miles on it. I have read several threads on people complaining that the seats are uncomfortable. I personally find the seats comfortable EXCEPT THAT THE LUMBAR IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. The maxed-out lumbar support is incredibly uncomfortable on long drives. It feels like I have a beach towel stuffed behind my back.

I talked with the dealer and he explained the seats are engineered like that for rear-end collisions (causing the head restraint to spring forward and prevent whiplash.) That's fine and all, but I hate driving my Accord long distances because of the lumbar support. I really like this car and would like to solve this problem.

I'm considering looking for an aftermarket seat cover. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
I'm assuming you don't have the air adjustable lumbar support? At least I guess it's air, it deflates / inflates to your liking. I've been using mine lately because my back has gone to hell, I like it myself.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
This is one of the disadvantages of getting the lower accessory models. IMHO, all models should have the adjustable support as all people are different. I have the electric adjustable one in mine and love it.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I have to almost turn the lumbar support all the way down. I had wonder what was hurting my back. It was my car seat. For me, the support puts pressure that hurts.

Yes, seat cover will help. But you may have to work backwards. Try the thick ones first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awhile ago, Cajun mentioned if you pull the headrest towards you the lumbar support lessens. It works on my LX-P, but the support doesn't bother me either way. I think you have to adjust it each time you drive.

·
Big Honda Fan
37 Posts
This is a big issue for many who find that even the adjustable lumbar support in the more expensive models don't fully retract enough to flatten out the seat.

I had a 2004 EX 4 cylinder Accord that had a manual lumbar adjustment. It worked very well and when totally disengaged, the seat was flat in the back with no lumbar protrusion.

However, when I traded up for my 2010 EXL V6, I was surprised that the electrically controlled lumbar support does not go all the way back flat. I'm actually getting used to it now after several months, but I can still feel that it's there, and after long trips, can become a bit uncomfortable.

When I called Honda to inquire, they told me that the seats are designed by ergonomic engineers and and this is the result. They told me that there was nothing that can be done to change the lumbar adjustment.

Personally, although I love the car, I would prefer if the lumbar support would go totally flat.

I asked my dealer if they had ever gone into the seat back and "modified " the seat in order to reduce the lumbar, but they told me that it would void the warranty as it would cause a safety issue.

Interestingly, my son who drives a 2007 BMW 328 XI had a similar issue with his seat and the lumbar support. He found it uncomfortable on long trips as the lumbar wouldn't "zero out". He went to the dealer and they told him that a lot of people complain about that. The good news for him is that they actually went into the seat and modified it so the lumbar adjustment flattened out. Now his seat is perfect.

Too bad Honda can't do that!

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
When I called Honda to inquire, they told me that the seats are designed by ergonomic engineers and and this is the result. They told me that there was nothing that can be done to change the lumbar adjustment.
95% of us sit the wrong way. Even our best effort to do right is still wrong.

We try to find comfort in sitting. That's not ergonomically correct. In fact, the whole concept of walking on 2 legs is not ergonomically correct.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is one of the disadvantages of getting the lower accessory models. IMHO, all models should have the adjustable support as all people are different. I have the electric adjustable one in mine and love it.
Ditto. Just one of the many reasons I would not buy the lower model Accords. I also have a bad lower back and the adjustable lumbar support is a godsend for me. Now if only the seat cushion were a little less firm it would be the perfect seat.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Lesson learned - I'll never buy a car without adjustable lumbar again. Pulling the headreast forward makes the lumbar flatter. I can live with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
:naughty:

Battlearmor:

This looks like something I can use. I am just curious, though, because I need to LESSEN the lumbar support of my accord. How would I use this cushion? On my upper back?

Thanks.
Oh geez, I have bad reading comprehension....I assumed you wanted MORE support haha...I'm sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts