Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a used 2020 LX from a friend of friend, and I am looking for advice on audio upgrade.
  1. I am planning to buy an android unit from Chinese website and replace the stock head unit. The android units are mostly rated at 4*45w or 4*50w and using TDA 7851 , is it as good as those individual compact amplifier sold on Crutchfield like this Sony or other similar items?
  2. The stock unit is claimed to be 160w, so I assume that's 4*40w, which is not much lower either on paper, is it worth spending the money to get an external amp?
  3. For an external amp running 4*45w or 4*50w, do I need to run amp wire from car battery?
  4. Speakers: Focal ISS165 for $140 is no longer available :(, any suggestions? Is there much difference between a component speakers vs coaxial? LX doesn't have the tweeter so if I go with component I might have to purchase the tweet cover and make installation a bit more complicated.
  5. How much is the stock speaker on LX? The reason I ask is Crutchfield's lowest priced speaker is about $40 a pair, if i upgrade to a speakers that are $40 a pair, would it be huge difference? Same question applies to the speakers in Touring, what's the equivalent speakers would be?
My budget is about $700 for 4 speakers and amp (or do i really need an amp?) , but for good deal I might be able to go up a bit more.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. There is a lot more to amplifiers than wattage. There are good and bad implementations of chips too. NO, I don't believe you will get the same results from Chinese Android units. In all likelihood, it will be worse than the stock amp. I ran the Alpine power pack against the stock and the difference was vivid. I did later replace it with a AB class amp but that is my listening preferences
2. Same as above, wattage ratings are very subjective. SQ is a whole other matter
3. Depends on amp's design and efficiency. Again, Alpine PowerPack states it does not but that is one of the few.
4. Speakers should be matched to your musical taste preference. I know that is not the norm, now a day, but if you do have a store to go and listen to some, I would recommend that. You will be surprised how much sound characteristic difference there is between speakers. Mids and tweets. Going "component" is generally considered sonically better due to tweeters higher placement. This could make your installation easier
5. It's hard to answer this question but as a general rule .... yes aftermarket speaker from a reputable company will be better. However, some may need more power to achieve the same loudness level, if that is what you are after.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts