Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 7th gen Accords have a magnetic oil drain bolt? I know the transmission fluid drain bolt is magnetic, but I'm not sure about the oil.

If it's not magnetic, would it be worth it to upgrade to a magnetic one? Which one is the recommended one around here?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
The engine drain plugs are not magnetic. I don't think engines have metal wear nearly as much as a transmission does. I doubt a magnetic engine drain plug would attract much at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
A cheap solution I've personally used for the last 4 or 5 years to get a strong button neodymium magnet and attached to the inside end of the drain bolt, it will work just as well as a commercial one at higher cost.

You can find them dirt cheap such as from http://www.ebay.com/bhp/neo-magnets

I can see a very small amount of iron particle "paste" on the magnet each time I change oil, I will know there is a problem if I see larger ferrous bits on the magnet.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Call that "Magneto" guy from those X-Men movies....Tell him to get under your car or else.

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
Call that "Magneto" guy from those X-Men movies....Tell him to get under your car or else.
No way, that guy is mean.

I agree that metal shavings aren't as big of an issue for engine oil, both because it won't generate much, as well as the fact that factory-recommended oil change intervals are 4-6x more frequent than the transmission drain and fill intervals. Any shavings will likely just flush out with all of those oil changes.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
The 8G drain plug is magnetic, so perhaps Honda figured it'd be a cheap-n-good idea to put it on there. On my most recent oil change it was clean...on the earlier oil changes it will have a little bit of stuff on it.

My tranny bolt on the other hand has a bunch of metal-paste on it.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
What's the chance of that 8G plug working on the 7G?
Excellent question! I wonder if the size and thread pitch match....

·
4,062 Posts
I'd bet pretty high since they'd probably want to reuse as much tooling as possible. BUT you'd probably want to go with the "buy a button neodymium magnet" method. I ordered a replacement drain plug from CurryAcura (in case mine gets rounded or stripped I don't want to be boned) and they sent me a yellow-ish one without a magnetic tip, although they maybe just have a bin of generic ones in their service dept. and they didn't bother sending me a true Honda genuine part.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
The 8G drain plug is magnetic, so perhaps Honda figured it'd be a cheap-n-good idea to put it on there. On my most recent oil change it was clean...on the earlier oil changes it will have a little bit of stuff on it.

My tranny bolt on the other hand has a bunch of metal-paste on it.
With the oil change intervals going up since the Maintenance Minder system (8,000 miles or more), I can see where the magnetic drain plug would be slightly useful. Personally, I never go more than 5,000 miles between oil changes, so there would probably be very little on the magnet. IMO the oil filter will catch anything large enough to do damage.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
For a V6, the 8G and 7G plugs are the same. This is not true for 4 cyl models.

Personally tested.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I don't have a magnetic drain bolt, but for years, I have kept some very strong magnets attached to the outside of the oil pan, next to the drain bolt. When I change the oil (warm engine), I pull the magnets as the oil is draining so it releases the metal silt into the stream (hopefully). I should try straining my oil through a coffee filter one day.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
I'm thinking about the coffee filter thing, just to see what it collects, but I have a feeling the oil will not flow through the filter faster than a drip at a time. Maybe an old white rag?

·
4,062 Posts
I'm thinking about the coffee filter thing, just to see what it collects, but I have a feeling the oil will not flow through the filter faster than a drip at a time. Maybe an old white rag?
I don't think a coffee filter would show anything, since the oil filter is probably finer material than that anyways. The stuff caught on my oil analysis was probably "in solution" meaning couldn't be extracted easily by filtration.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I don't think a coffee filter would show anything, since the oil filter is probably finer material than that anyways. The stuff caught on my oil analysis was probably "in solution" meaning couldn't be extracted easily by filtration.
Filters don't catch everything, especially when something major is going wrong.

If there is an issue causing heavy wear or grenading, heavier particles will fall straight to the bottom of the oil pan instead of being suspended in the flow. That is what the coffee filter would have the benefit of filtering, the stuff that has collected at the bottom of the pan.

Worst scenario....Imagine an engine that runs low on oil to the point where the rings heat up and start adhering and pulling chunks out of the cylinder wall. Things can come also come apart, like plastic guides, ball bearings, etc. You never know.

Best scenario... you find nothing.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
Rebuild time!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts