Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Maintaining My 7th Generation

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  kroze 
#1 ·
About a month ago I bought my first accord (2006 accord se) I haven't really done much to it. I was wondering what maintenance can I do on my own that are fairly easy. Also what are some mods recommended to achieve better mpg and performance. And please don't say "sell it and buy a v6"

Thanks!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Alloy wheel

See less See more
#3 ·
Which maintenance procedures does your owner's manual inform you to do based on mileage? (what is your mileage?)

You do have an owner's manual, right? If not, eBay is your friend.

Everything is easy on a 4 cylinder. Every single maintenance procedure. You can do EVERYTHING for under $250 in one day...no kidding.

Easier than selling it and buying a V6 :)

#9 ·
I have not checked the owners manual. But I will. I bought the car with 144,000 miles from a honda dealership but I do not know what maintenance has been done to it so far. It runs really smooth, the power steering feels a little hard compared to my girlfriends civic. Besides that everything is running great.

#5 ·
If by performance, you mean power, then you aren't going to come close to what your car would be if it had two more cylinders without going completely broke. And even if you had deep enough pockets to add some good power, your car would be a ticking time bomb and a membership in AAA would be a wise investment. Focus your resources on looks, handling, and getting it in top running condition where you can achieve the best MPG.

#7 ·
Its a 4 banger 4 door Accord. Keep it maintained to the book specs (If you plan to keep it a while), and save your money. You won't increase the MPG by more than 1 or 2 with the BEST mods, and as stated before, will cost you waaaaay more than is practical for more "performance".

#10 ·
Maybe a flush for the PS Fluid is in order, thumbs up to Dan for this great writeup. For the record, any brand (NAPA, AAP, Prestone, etc.) of Honda/Acrua approved PS Fluid works just as good as Honda OEM PS Fluid. Key word is "Honda/Acura" approved. Also, the Lubegard works wonders.

Linky: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1040082

#12 ·
Create a new thread for it maybe so it's the only post and Rick can update as he acquires more knowledge of the venerable 7th gen Accord?

#15 ·
I have very near now 160,000 miles. Oil change, fluid drain, filters will be your friend. In the city/ interstate I average between 26-28mpg. Which is fine for me. If I'm on a long drive about 31-34.

As for power its all sound. I wanted power too when I was new here. A few mods which may or may jot help.
Tsx intake - I did this with p2r gaskets
Cai or short ram - I did fujita Cai. Provides good sound. But mileage mpg is minimal.
Exhaust - again just a sound thing to he honest. 2.5" on mine.

And as always. Keep an eye on your tires wear, air, and rotations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.