Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a couple months to get a 2008-2011 Accord EX-L V6 sedan, but I have been holding out for the one I'd like. I am wanting to find one in a lighter color (no black, dark blue, or maroon), black leather interior w/ heated seats, and XM radio and sunroof. But this combination has been tough to find in a V6, it seems 9 out of 10 EX-Ls I see have tan leather. Plus the fact I'd prefer to spend no more than $16K, and the car to be in good shape with less than 80K miles.

I haven't had much luck with finding V6 models with preferences and requirements, I found a couple but they ended up selling before I contacted the dealer. I'd really like to have the V6 because it seems to have plenty of power and torque on hand, and I just don't really want another 4 cylinder car. I haven't driven Accord in the V6 or 4 cylinder yet, so I can't really comment on the power difference (I plan on driving both when I get a chance to). So I may start opening my search to EX-L 2.4 Accords also.

I am newbie to Honda's. My question is, engine and transmission wise, 4 cylinder vs V6, is one more known for problems versus the others? Does the earlier 8th gen V6 Accords share the same transmission similarities as the Acura TLs, which are notorious for problems? Does the V6 Accord require premium fuel like the 3rd gen Acura TL? Do they both require timing belt and transmission change maintenance around the same intervals?

·
Registered
93 Posts
the v6 needs timing belt done at 105k
the 4cyl has a timing chain.

the transmissions were a problem untill 2004. afterwards it was all good. :)

it doesnt "require" premium gas but it is recomended. i have a 2005 accord v6 6 speed and the last 4 tanks have been running 87 and its fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Premium fuel is NOT recommended nor needed in the Accord.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A mechanic I trust told me the 4 cylinders were "known" to use oil at higher mileage. He said the V-6 have had no issues that he has seen (25 years as an import mechanic).........

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
The V6 has had VCM issues. I think the 4 Cyl you either have oil consumption from Day 1 or you don't and the engine is bulletproof.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The V6 has had VCM issues. I think the 4 Cyl you either have oil consumption from Day 1 or you don't and the engine is bulletproof.
I have a 2005 Odyssey and the VCM works flawlessly. However, I got rid of a 2003 4cyl with 181,000 miles. Did not burn any oil at all until 160,000 miles. The last 18 months it burned a quart every 1,000 miles. No leaks underneath and a brand new PCV did not help the car.......so I am 1 for 2 in that area..........:lmao:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of issues are there with the VCM on the v6? I found a 2009 EX-L V6 dark grey, black leather, loaded I believe, except for nav. It has 37,500 miles, and the dealer is asking $16,995. I am hoping I can get it in the $15k range.

I plan to look at and drive it in the next few days. Is there anything else I should look at and verify is working, or not having issues when test driving? I have heard that premature break wear is common on the 8th gen Accords. What about oil consumption with the v6?

With 37k on this car, when is the reccomended service for the transmission fluid change and flush? What does this typically cost to have done at a Honda dealer?

·
4,062 Posts
What kind of issues are there with the VCM on the v6? I found a 2009 EX-L V6 dark grey, black leather, loaded I believe, except for nav. It has 37,500 miles, and the dealer is asking $16,995. I am hoping I can get it in the $15k range.

I plan to look at and drive it in the next few days. Is there anything else I should look at and verify is working, or not having issues when test driving? I have heard that premature break wear is common on the 8th gen Accords. What about oil consumption with the v6?

With 37k on this car, when is the reccomended service for the transmission fluid change and flush? What does this typically cost to have done at a Honda dealer?
(I'm talking from top of head) The V6 would burn up spark plugs. I think there was a TSB that updated the ECU to fix it. The rear brake issue might have been I4 only, but it was resolved with new ceramic pads that have a V spring on them to hold them off the rotor when not in use (similar to what the front brakes already have).

Basically if you want an Accord with no problems, get either a 2011 or 2012. By those years everything was TSB-ed and fixed (brakes, VCM, rear shelf rattle, etc). If you get an 08-10, have them make sure it has the latest firmware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at TSBs for the 09 v6, and the only things listed were for and engine code related to the crank position sensor, and another code for the evap system. I didn't see anything for the vcm, but what kind of problems are there with it and what's the fix?

·
4,062 Posts
It might have only been the 08. I don't have a V6 so I don't keep up with all the issues it had over the generation ;)

Just have the tech plug it into the ecu updater tool and he'll know within 10 minutes if there's an ECU update or not. If the brakes have rapid wear issues you can go to Autozone and get new pads and v springs for not much money.

And other than that as long as you don't have any oil consumption issues it's a good car (someone else can jump in if there's other problems I'm forgetting about).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 08 EX-L V6 Sedan.

The VCM issues foul up spark plugs. The back 3 closest to the firewall are the worst. I simply replaced it with 6 OEM spark plugs @ $120 and its been running perfectly fine without any ECU update.

The rear brakes on my accord wear before the fronts, but since I do the brakes myself, I put in Autozone Duralast C-Max gold pads and it hasn't been excessive wear at all.

The rear shelf did rattle, but I fixed it myself and basically installed double sided sticky tape between the rear shelf brake light and the shelf.

The normal maintenance items such as transmission fluid change, brake fluid change keeps it running pristine.

The quality of the leather inside the accord is kinda bad, normal blue jeans leave stains on it and it starts to flake & bubble as well. However, I had my front seat leather replaced with honda's help and it seems to be holding ok for now, but I wouldn't expect much from it.

The handling is excellent on my accord and I can gladly say that i'm a proud owner of the 8th gen v6 sedan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 08 EX-L V6 Sedan.

The VCM issues foul up spark plugs. The back 3 closest to the firewall are the worst. I simply replaced it with 6 OEM spark plugs @ $120 and its been running perfectly fine without any ECU update.

The rear brakes on my accord wear before the fronts, but since I do the brakes myself, I put in Autozone Duralast C-Max gold pads and it hasn't been excessive wear at all.

The rear shelf did rattle, but I fixed it myself and basically installed double sided sticky tape between the rear shelf brake light and the shelf.

The normal maintenance items such as transmission fluid change, brake fluid change keeps it running pristine.

The quality of the leather inside the accord is kinda bad, normal blue jeans leave stains on it and it starts to flake & bubble as well. However, I had my front seat leather replaced with honda's help and it seems to be holding ok for now, but I wouldn't expect much from it.

The handling is excellent on my accord and I can gladly say that i'm a proud owner of the 8th gen v6 sedan.
Thanks. I found an 09 EX-L V6, and if a deal can be worked I am getting it. I'll check the plugs after I get it, and if they look bad I'll go ahead and change them. When should I do the first transmission fluid change? The car I am looking at has 37K miles.

Do you have the black or tan leather? From what I have seen in 8th gen Accords I have been looking at, black seems to wrinkle and wear more than tan leather does. A lot of the tan interior cars have seats that look new even after 60K miles. My current car has tan interior, and I just can't deal with it again since it show all of the dirt. Does cleaning and treating the leather on the seats help out, or is it common with all Accords having the problems you described?

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 09 EX-L V6 has been bulletproof so far, and I have 93K on it. I have black leather seats, and I'm not thrilled at how the outside bolster on the driver's seat is wearing and has wrinkled, but that probably has to do with the fact that I'm in and out of the car 20+ times a day. I plan on trying the 303 cleaner on the seats in the spring. Other than that, I much prefer the V6 to my wife's 04 EX with the four banger. Her's has been bulletproof as well, only requiring tires, brakes and a minor exhaust repair. She only drives 10K a year, so exhaust issues are to be expected. FWIW, I would never buy a car with tan leather; it looks dirty five minutes after you clean it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks. I found an 09 EX-L V6, and if a deal can be worked I am getting it. I'll check the plugs after I get it, and if they look bad I'll go ahead and change them. When should I do the first transmission fluid change? The car I am looking at has 37K miles.

Do you have the black or tan leather? From what I have seen in 8th gen Accords I have been looking at, black seems to wrinkle and wear more than tan leather does. A lot of the tan interior cars have seats that look new even after 60K miles. My current car has tan interior, and I just can't deal with it again since it show all of the dirt. Does cleaning and treating the leather on the seats help out, or is it common with all Accords having the problems you described?
I have the Tan leather, only option available on a White Diamond Pearl accord for the 08.
The leather doesn't rip, it seems like the color starts to bubble and peel off in small flakes. The new leather which is about 2 years old has held up OK so far. I used the honda leather cleaner and sealant a few times but it has to be applied frequently for any real protection. I just think the quality of the leather is not up to par.

The transmission is easy to tell if its out of whack, if you can feel the car jerk back and forth on a level surface when you shift from park to drive, it most likely needs a change. The accords shifts should be very slightly noticeable if there is new fluid in there. I just changed it for the first time at 66K and it made a world of difference. I just did a drain & refill 2x with OEM Honda fluid and it was enough. I would suggest at least 2 times, 3 times if you really want to spend the extra cash on fluid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts