Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did pick up 5 quarts of transmission fluid in anticipation of doing a trans fluid service next week. I have 46,650 miles on my Accord and I was thinking this was just a bit early to change the trans fluid but I wanted to get out in front of it. I thought I had read that the trans fluid service was typically called for at 80,000 to 100,000 miles? Oddly, or maybe not, just today my MM just displayed the reminder to change out the trans fluid. If you have had the MM service reminder for fluid replacement on your 10 speed automatic transmission at what mileage did it appear?

·
8th Gen Believer
4,792 Posts
I don't trust MM and don't use it. I've learned on DA to change fluid every 20-30k miles.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Some folks may disagree with my opinion/method.

On my previous 2010 v6 sedan and current 2016 coupe I do a transmission drain and refill every 15k-20k.

I am sure the Honda engineers researched and found using the automated maintenance system to be adequate, I am just a little old school and would rather spend a little extra in doing services early.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
94 Posts
In our region (Middle East), the Accords don't come with minders other than the engine's oil minder. It's mentioned in the owner's manual that for the 10 AT, the fluid should be changed at 80,000 Km and then every 40,000 Km which I stick to.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
7 Posts
I changed my ATF last weekend while doing an oil change since I had the skid plate to remove. 2019 Honda Touring 10 speed AT with 75,000 miles (code for ATF change, #3, was showing). Just did a drain and fill (purchased 5 qts). Was fairly easy. Drain bolt came out easy and drained fluid was still fairly clear and red - measured what came out (4.6 liters). Rigged up a funnel and tygon hose to the fill hole (that bolt came out easy too) and replaced same amount. Then put fill bolt back in and warmed up engine per instructions and went through all the gears as directed. Shut off engine and checked fill level (plug below fill bolt) and it was dripping out, so then closed everything up. Cleared out maintenance minder code for ATF change. So far so good - no issues before or after ATF change.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed my ATF last weekend while doing an oil change since I had the skid plate to remove. 2019 Honda Touring 10 speed AT with 75,000 miles (code for ATF change, #3, was showing). Just did a drain and fill (purchased 5 qts). Was fairly easy. Drain bolt came out easy and drained fluid was still fairly clear and red - measured what came out (4.6 liters). Rigged up a funnel and tygon hose to the fill hole (that bolt came out easy too) and replaced same amount. Then put fill bolt back in and warmed up engine per instructions and went through all the gears as directed. Shut off engine and checked fill level (plug below fill bolt) and it was dripping out, so then closed everything up. Cleared out maintenance minder code for ATF change. So far so good - no issues before or after ATF change.
This is my exact plan for Saturday. My MM #3 for the transmission came on at 46,000 miles. My nephew is a master mechanic for a Toyota dealership so I will be able to use his lift. Thanks for the info ... the process seems pretty straight forward...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its not apples to Oranges but our 2015 Nissan rogue CVT ( 60K ) wasn't broke but I had noticed it was holding gears higher then normal and other weird shifting..
I did a drain and fill ( 4 quarts in it ) and it made a big difference. Shifts are now back to normal.
I will change it again in 10K just to get more dirty fluid out.
I used aftermarket for it but will most likely use Honda CVT in the accord

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeo that's it...I went to my local dealership and picked up 5 quarts and the crush washers..

I'll say this too kind of off topic, but I went ahead and picked up the OEM wiper fillers while I was at the dealership. It was just too easy to replace them and they work great so I will be using the OEM fillers going forward.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I went in for service lately, so I looked around at the service pricing when I was waiting. I couldn’t help but noticed the service charge for 9 and 10 speed transmission drain and fill was listed @$330. I had to make sure I was in a Honda dealership (which I was, cuz I was taking in my Accord lol). Is the transmission fluid change process much more difficult? Or is the cost of the fluid for 9AT and 10AT that much more expensive?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
7 Posts
I went in for service lately, so I looked around at the service pricing when I was waiting. I couldn’t help but noticed the service charge for 9 and 10 speed transmission drain and fill was listed @$330. I had to make sure I was in a Honda dealership (which I was, cuz I was taking in my Accord lol). Is the transmission fluid change process much more difficult? Or is the cost of the fluid for 9AT and 10AT that much more expensive?
Online price for ATF type 2.0 was around $10 per quart. When I called the dealer they quoted over $13 a quart. I told the parts guy it was cheaper on the website. He told me that was the online price, so I ordered it online and picked it up at the dealer - 5 quarts was $55.56 w tax for Honda (Acura) ATF Type 2.0 for my 10 speed AT.
I think the 9 speed AT uses the more expensive ATF 3.1 (somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 35 - 40 per quart). The drain and fill took me about an hour since I already had the skid plate off for the oil change.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Online price for ATF type 2.0 was around $10 per quart. When I called the dealer they quoted over $13 a quart. I told the parts guy it was cheaper on the website. He told me that was the online price, so I ordered it online and picked it up at the dealer - 5 quarts was $55.56 w tax for Honda (Acura) ATF Type 2.0 for my 10 speed AT.
I think the 9 speed AT uses the more expensive ATF 3.1 (somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 35 - 40 per quart). The drain and fill took me about an hour since I already had the skid plate off for the oil change.
I see. So basically they're just upcharging the 10AT owners because they feel like they can. 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts