Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so been thinking about this for a while now and done a lot of research. I am very aware that the recommended time to replace the timing belt is 7 years or 105,000 miles. Here is my concern and question. My 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 has around 137,000 miles. I've lived in GA/AL the entire time, mostly highway miles and haven't really had any problems. I replaced the spark plugs a few years ago myself after getting a misfire with the recommended plugs but other than that no issues. The starter did go out in 2012 which was abnormal, but I had it replaced with OEM. I knew I probably should have already replaced the timing belt, but I haven't seen the B4 indicator for it on my MM. Why would I have a Honda that is now 8 years old and over 137,000 miles and I've never seen the B4? I held the button down and the next scheduled maintenance is an oil change. I've already been getting quotes and plan on getting the timing belt replaced soon, but I'm worried that I was never notified by MM that it needed to be done. Could some maintenance guy have reset it somehow? I was under the impression that a dealership would have to reset it. I bought the vehicle slightly used with 11,000 miles on it. Would appreciate any feedback I can get. Thank you!

John

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I am very aware that the recommended time to replace the timing belt is 7 years or 105,000 miles.
No offense, but get your facts straight. That is totally wrong. That has not been Honda's recommendation since the 2005 model year. Of course many people still hold to that obsolete recommendation and they are entitled to their opinion. It's very clear that the MM does not consider age in any way. My low mileage car is well over 10 years old without a code 4 calling for the belt etc. And I can guarantee that no code was missed. Based on other posts on the forum the dealer can call up the information and determine whether the code has already come up and when. You should at least ask the dealer to bring it up and print it out for you before you have it done. It's not clear from your description whether the code was missed. Apparently you never saw it since 11,000 miles. Did you normally have your car serviced without ever checking the MM?

Although it could have been missed I wouldn't automatically presume that it was. Code 4 seems to come up somewhere around 100,000 miles for most people, but there also seems to be some variation from that and as noted time has nothing to do with it.

·
Put that cookie down! NOW
592 Posts
I'd be more worried about the hydraulic timing belt tensionsers leaking and wearing out. Mine leaked at 89,000 miles and decided to do the timing belt service , just to get it out of the way. If you have the money to spare , just do it and be done with it.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,600 Posts
When I replaced my timing belt (7.5 years when code 4 came up) the tensioner and belt looked OK but the water pump had started weeping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts