Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 'Maintenance Required' light on my 2004 4cyl EX will not go out. I have tried the way I've always done it, as is described in the manual, however it will not stop flashing when I start the car or turn the key to ON and let the gauges go through their startup blinking. My trip reset button and gauge dimmer are both working.

Here is what I am doing: Get in the car, push and hold the trip reset button, insert key and turn to ON for at least 10 seconds. I did read that the light will not reset with the headlights ON, and I have done it multiple times with the headlights OFF with no success.

Any tips?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i was having the same issue after like 20 times finally got it to turn off. keep trying till it works.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Pull battery cables off and short them out for a sec. Reattach and try again.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done it about 10 times already. Trip is on A.

·
4,637 Posts
All lights off, doors closed then do the reset. I thought the total miles or the odometer had to be showing and not one of the trip displays. But I forget how the 7th gen display is set up.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
Turn everything off, close the door, push the trip reset button with your left hand, keep holding button down and turn key to on (no start). Continue to hold the button till the light goes out. You might have a little dimple in your finger, from holding the button down by now, but it will go away. I've been doing this since I bought my 03, and it never fails.

Reactions: Hamilton Franco

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10 minutes after my last post, I went to drive the car and did it two more times and it finally went out.

I've been doing the reset cycle 2-3 times when I go to start the car for the past 4 days. I guess if it doesn't work, keep trying as drzcb7 said.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Does the push-button work reliably to reset the trip mileage or switch from Trip A and Trip B odometer readings? If not then perhaps the switch has begun to fail intermittently.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the push-button work reliably to reset the trip mileage or switch from Trip A and Trip B odometer readings? If not then perhaps the switch has begun to fail intermittently.
Button works 100% for trip select and reset.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 'Maintenance Required' light is on constantly (not flashing).
Will this method also work in the case where the light is on all the time.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. For XX amount of miles after it has been reset, the light will not show up. Then from XX to YY miles it will flash after startup for a few seconds. Then from YY to infinity it will flash and stay on after startup.

XX and YY vary from 4cyl to 6cyl. This is listed in your manual though.

Reactions: enne

·
emoze
32 Posts
Maintenance Required light will not reset - AGAIN

'04 accord - same problem as O.P. quoted below - the procedure in the manual always worked in the past, but the damned light simply will not go out now

it blinks once about 5 sec into the procedure & comes back on

- no length of pressing reset will make it go away; makes no diff if headlights on, door closed, et al, etc :frown

i've searched a dozen+ forums where the standard answer is always the Honda procedure - which is simply not working

p.s. - i put my OBDII scanner on it, and the scanner says no problems, no codes - but dunno if that maintenance light circuit is actually read by scanners

do the reset switch contacts go bad???

has anybody found a real solution to this in the past year or two??????

My 'Maintenance Required' light on my 2004 4cyl EX will not go out. I have tried the way I've always done it, as is described in the manual, however it will not stop flashing when I start the car or turn the key to ON and let the gauges go through their startup blinking. My trip reset button and gauge dimmer are both working.

Here is what I am doing: Get in the car, push and hold the trip reset button, insert key and turn to ON for at least 10 seconds. I did read that the light will not reset with the headlights ON, and I have done it multiple times with the headlights OFF with no success.

Any tips?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Just figured I'd post my video for future readers but tosh, I'm glad you finally got it reset buddy :thmsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn everything off, close the door, push the trip reset button with your left hand, keep holding button down and turn key to on (no start). Continue to hold the button till the light goes out. You might have a little dimple in your finger, from holding the button down by now, but it will go away. I've been doing this since I bought my 03, and it never fails.
Bro I did this on my 02 Honda Odyssey, worked like magic. Thank you! Lord bless you

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
@RickBlaine , @t-rd ,

Why does this happen so often where someone makes their first post on an old thread? Is this some kind of cyber attack?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts