1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
1. Many dealers give you the first oil change gratis, then charge you bigly for the tire rotation. But they want you to have your first service with them. It gives them a chance to sell you on their service department.

2. With no details on what the service plan entails, costs, and how many miles you drive, there is no way to assess the plan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive 5k to 7k miles a year . I havent checked with the dealer on how much or whther he has a pre paid plan

How do i get a decent price on tire rotation - in the case where dealer will charge more ? Do i get it done from firestone

·
Captain Slow
153 Posts
I drive 5k to 7k miles a year . I havent checked with the dealer on how much or whther he has a pre paid plan

How do i get a decent price on tire rotation - in the case where dealer will charge more ? Do i get it done from firestone
Is this your first car? This is a very elementary question. You either a) pay what the dealer asks, b) go elsewhere for less, or c) try to price-match a to b. It's all based on how much you're saving and how much you value your money.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,587 Posts
There is no schedule. The maintenance minder handles that for you. The car tells you what to do and when.

Now, in your case you may not put enough miles on it a year to trigger the MM, so change your oil & rotate the tires once a year.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,812 Posts
+1 ^^ this

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Although it is internet custom to call them 'stealers' instead of 'dealers', there are many good ones out there that are not just rip off places. My own dealer is a good one, but does charge a bit more. I also use an onwner-operated mechanic for routine mechanical work. If you can find an owner operator who has a good reputation in the area and has been in business for a long time, that is a good relationship to develop.

You have to ask around.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Expected Maintenance Costs

I'm trying to get a handle on expected maintenance costs for an Accord. I'm finding it hard to figure out things like how many oil changes I might do over 60,000 miles because everything is buried in the maintenance minder. For example, with my Mazda, that answer is 8 because you do them, along with a tire rotation, every 7,500 miles.

The reason for this is a quote from Saccucci for Honda care, which included an option for a maintenance program and I wanted to do the thought exercise to see if it made sense. I never buy warranties, probably won't here, but figured I see how close it came to making sense.

Specifically, maintenance covers the items below but I'm not sure how often these items would occur over 60,000 miles. Any insight is welcome.

Oil Change
Tire rotation
Air intake filter
Cabin air filter
Transmission fluid
Rear differential fluid
Transfer case fluid
Brake fluid

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm trying to get a handle on expected maintenance costs for an Accord. I'm finding it hard to figure out things like how many oil changes I might do over 60,000 miles because everything is buried in the maintenance minder. For example, with my Mazda, that answer is 8 because you do them, along with a tire rotation, every 7,500 miles.

The reason for this is a quote from Saccucci for Honda care, which included an option for a maintenance program and I wanted to do the thought exercise to see if it made sense. I never buy warranties, probably won't here, but figured I see how close it came to making sense.

Specifically, maintenance covers the items below but I'm not sure how often these items would occur over 60,000 miles. Any insight is welcome.

Oil Change
Tire rotation
Air intake filter
Cabin air filter
Transmission fluid
Rear differential fluid
Transfer case fluid
Brake fluid
I know that replacing the Rear differential fluid and transfer case fluid is very expensive on a FWD Honda Accord.

You could spend hours of shop time trying to locate them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know that replacing the Rear differential fluid and transfer case fluid is very expensive on a FWD Honda Accord.

You could spend hours of shop time trying to locate them.
Cute answer, I guess.

I don't know anything about working on cars but a little more research did get me a better answer in regards to that part.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oil Change 7
Tire rotation 7
Air intake filter 3
Cabin air filter 3
Transmission fluid 1 (CVT)
Rear differential fluid N/A
Transfer case fluid N/A
Brake fluid 0 (should be done every 3 years)
Here are my guesses, and of course it depends on how you drive, but 7,500 for each oil change is closer to a person driving mostly city and/or has a heavy foot. My experience is all from a '13 Accord 4 cylinder, since my 10th gen is too new, and I won't be commuting with it like my 9th gen.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here are my guesses, and of course it depends on how you drive, but 7,500 for each oil change is closer to a person driving mostly city and/or has a heavy foot. My experience is all from a '13 Accord 4 cylinder, since my 10th gen is too new, and I won't be commuting with it like my 9th gen.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,587 Posts

Oil Change
Tire rotation
Air intake filter
Cabin air filter
Transmission fluid
Rear differential fluid
Transfer case fluid
Brake fluid
Oil change and tire rotation are done at the same time, about every 8k for me since I follow the maintenance minder for everything. Engine air filter ~25k, cabin filter is "as needed" really. Transmission fluid is good for ~50k before the MM tells me to change it, brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage, and your Accord doesn't have a rear diff or transfer case. Don't forget coolant, Honda blue is good for 10 years factory-fill, refills for 5 years.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Cabin and engine filter changes should be easy DIY if they are like prior Accords.

You didn't say how much they planned to charge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
13 EX-L Sedan I4 CVT-209K miles so far

Holysmokes. Do you commute to Vegas everyday?

·
Registered
339 Posts
13 EX-L Sedan I4 CVT-209K miles so far

Holysmokes. Do you commute to Vegas everyday?
lmao, If I commuted to Vegas everyday, then my mileage would be around 510K by now. For work, I drive 130 miles round trip 18 days out of the month. Add in a road trip to Denver, CO (2K miles round trip), around 4-5 Vegas trips (500 miles round trip), and a couple of trips to Baja California (400 miles round trip), and that explains my mileage :grin

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cabin and engine filter changes should be easy DIY if they are like prior Accords.

You didn't say how much they planned to charge.
The warranty prices are

Honda Care
96/120K $1,140.00
Maintenance Plan
48/60K $1,055.00
Minus $200 if you do both so $1.995 combined.

I run between 15K and 20K miles annually.

I don't know the individual costs of each service. I'm just guessing around $85 for oil and tire rotation because that's about what I've been charged in the past when I don't get a special deal. The others I'm looking up. If you add in the ability to maybe drop AAA and rely on Cross Country it's a lot closer value than I thought. CC, however, gets savaged online, so that might not be a good idea.

I don't do any work on my own car past windshield wipers and fluid at this point so I'm aware DIY would be cheaper. I'm not too fond of the local oil change joints. The last place I took the Mazda claimed I had sludge in the oil @52K miles. They even wrote it on the receipt. It didn't have sludge, just the typical criminal in the car business trying to make more commission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The warranty prices are

Honda Care
96/120K $1,140.00
Maintenance Plan
48/60K $1,055.00
Minus $200 if you do both so $1.995 combined.

I run between 15K and 20K miles annually.

I don't know the individual costs of each service. I'm just guessing around $85 for oil and tire rotation because that's about what I've been charged in the past when I don't get a special deal. The others I'm looking up. If you add in the ability to maybe drop AAA and rely on Cross Country it's a lot closer value than I thought. CC, however, gets savaged online, so that might not be a good idea.

I don't do any work on my own car past windshield wipers and fluid at this point so I'm aware DIY would be cheaper. I'm not too fond of the local oil change joints. The last place I took the Mazda claimed I had sludge in the oil @52K miles. They even wrote it on the receipt. It didn't have sludge, just the typical criminal in the car business trying to make more commission.
I think it might be a wash given the prices estimated. 7 oil chances at $85, 6 air filters that are maybe $25 each. That's about $745, so the difference is the transmission fluid, which I don't know the price of. If you are planning on getting the Honda Care regardless, then maybe it would be worth it to save the $100 on the Honda Care and just consider the maintenance "pre-paid".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts