Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen tons of threads here recently about changing the fluid in an auto trans. Wife's car is an 2004 EX with I4 and a stick. It has 120,000 miles on it. When do you change that oil? And is there some kind of magic Honda oil that goes in there?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'd stick with OEM honda manual tranny fluid. Some use GM synchromesh.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Forgot to mention I have the same car with 153k, a 2004 I4 5-manual EX, non-leather, silver. Great car. Consider a coolant flush and fill also if you have not done one yet, again go with Honda OEM.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what's magical about Honda fluids?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
They're designed FOR your trans. Why second guess the people who designed your car? The same people who build cars with outstanding reputations. Why deviate from their recommended fluids?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, cuz I'm 50+ years of age, have seen these types of recommendations forever and have always found a far cheaper fluid to do the same job for one. Excuse me if I'm skeptical but I highly doubt Honda has a secret laboratory where they produce one of a kind special and magical fluids. I'm also skeptical that other fluids would destroy a Honda. I could be wrong, I'm just skeptical is all. So if you know this to be true, do tell. But smartass answers don't help anybody. I'm new to Hondas or I wouldn't ask. Now if you can tell me that anything else would wreck my car, I'm all ears.

BTW the shop for my 1994 GMC Suburban has all kinds of references to GMC fluids for everything including engine oil. But the owners manual says to use 10W-30. So forgive me for being skeptical.

Out of curiosity, do you also use Honda motor oil?

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Amsoil. But it's only worth the premium over the Honda MTF it if you subject your car to extremes. I've been using it since new and I've been changing it about every 60K (because that's when the maintenance minder told me to).

The key is, your maintenance minder will tell you when its time to change it.

Reactions: 200366HFP

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Well, cuz I'm 50+ years of age, have seen these types of recommendations forever and have always found a far cheaper fluid to do the same job for one. Excuse me if I'm skeptical but I highly doubt Honda has a secret laboratory where they produce one of a kind special and magical fluids. I'm also skeptical that other fluids would destroy a Honda. I could be wrong, I'm just skeptical is all. So if you know this to be true, do tell. But smartass answers don't help anybody. I'm new to Hondas or I wouldn't ask. Now if you can tell me that anything else would wreck my car, I'm all ears.

BTW the shop for my 1994 GMC Suburban has all kinds of references to GMC fluids for everything including engine oil. But the owners manual says to use 10W-30. So forgive me for being skeptical.
For one, Honda autos MUST have the dealer fluid, there are no substitutes. Same goes with PS pumps. No substitutes. Coolant, maybe. Everything else you can buy off brand fluids.

And the secret laboratory you mention is real. Honda differentials MUST have the OEM Dual Pump fluid, and it's only made by Honda. A monopoly maybe.

So I don't know about their manual trannys, but I'd just get the dealer fluid and call it a day. It's not like it's going to break your wallet and it doesn't have to be changed that often. Heck you could probably never change it and be fine. It's just a freakin gearbox.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,627 Posts
They're designed FOR your trans. Why second guess the people who designed your car? The same people who build cars with outstanding reputations. Why deviate from their recommended fluids?
Because if you search around, you'll find others that have had good results, if not better, with the GM Syncro and/or the AmsOil MT fluid. :0

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I'm sure Amsoil is top notch stuff but I'll never buy it. Lipstick on a pig deal. Thanks though.

Honestly I haven't even read the manual yet. Maybe I'll start there.

I can understand someone's desire to stick with the Honda fluid and if there is a "known" reason to stick with it I'll do it. But I'd like to know the reason.

I have 3 Honda motorcycles and when I first asked about fork oils on the various Honda motorcycle forums I get the same set of answers. There are those that only use Honda anything and those that don't. It always becomes a heated discussion for absolutely no reason. So far in all of these discussions I have yet to hear anything from anyone who actually knows something. Always just opinions with no backing.

I've been putting Walmarts Supertech everything in my cars for years with no issues. It's cheap and it works.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For one, Honda autos MUST have the dealer fluid, there are no substitutes. Same goes with PS pumps. No substitutes. Coolant, maybe. Everything else you can buy off brand fluids.

And the secret laboratory you mention is real. Honda differentials MUST have the OEM Dual Pump fluid, and it's only made by Honda. A monopoly maybe.

So I don't know about their manual trannys, but I'd just get the dealer fluid and call it a day. It's not like it's going to break your wallet and it doesn't have to be changed that often. Heck you could probably never change it and be fine. It's just a freakin gearbox.
Now see, that's some good stuff right there. But only if it's true. I thought other manufacturers made PS pump fluid for Honda though.

And it's not the "break your wallet" I'm worried about. I'm just such a cheap bstrd that absolutely cannot stand to spend money on something that doesn't need it. I'm so anal about it that it bothers me when i do. Blame God, he wired me that way. If my gearbox needs $5000/qt fluid then I'll get it, but I won't spend $5002 for it. And all I'm doing is asking. Ask once and the answer is forever.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Now see, that's some good stuff right there. But only if it's true. I thought other manufacturers made PS pump fluid for Honda though.

And it's not the "break your wallet" I'm worried about. I'm just such a cheap bstrd that absolutely cannot stand to spend money on something that doesn't need it. I'm so anal about it that it bothers me when i do. Blame God, he wired me that way. If my gearbox needs $5000/qt fluid then I'll get it, but I won't spend $5002 for it. And all I'm doing is asking. Ask once and the answer is forever.
ok. then use whatever you want.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,627 Posts
An engine builder friend of mine has a philosophy on today's oil selections:

Oil = Good
No/Low Oil = Bad

May not be the answer some of you want, but it holds merit.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts