Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having a problem now that its getting cold out. When the car is first driven on cold mornings I get a 2nd gear grind when going from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't happen on the 3-2 downshift though. I was at my dealer after work yesterday but they couldn't replicate the problem because the car was warm by the time I got there.

Does anyone else experience this?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,294 Posts
Not I.

My Challenger when Cold was awful going into 2nd until it was warm. And that was on 60deg mornings. I know that does nothing for you here.

Jay

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
So I've been having a problem now that its getting cold out. When the car is first driven on cold mornings I get a 2nd gear grind when going from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't happen on the 3-2 downshift though. I was at my dealer after work yesterday but they couldn't replicate the problem because the car was warm by the time I got there.

Does anyone else experience this?
My car did not want to go in Reverse this morning at 20 degrees outdoor temp but inside garage ( detached ) it read 32. The 2nd try got the job done but I remember my Acura Integra GSR having the same problem with reverse being tough to engage & temperature didn't matter in that car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine did this when it was brand new shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have not had an instance for over six months now and the weather has been really cold last couple weeks. Best advice is to slow down your shift, ensure your clutch is fully depressed and ensure your stick makes the full movement it is supposed to. I assumed it was part of the break in stage and never took my car in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car did not want to go in Reverse this morning at 20 degrees outdoor temp but inside garage ( detached ) it read 32. The 2nd try got the job done but I remember my Acura Integra GSR having the same problem with reverse being tough to engage & temperature didn't matter in that car.
Mine did this too. Someone on here posted to do the following:

Clutch in and hold it
Shift to first
Shift to reverse.

I do that now an it slides in reverse like butter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I sometimes I have the same problem. I just double clutch and problem solved
Same thing here when I had mine. Once it was warmed up, it shifted great. Mine only did this when it was cold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This 2nd gear grind is kind of normal in the cold weather. Actually Hondas are better in this situation than many other brands. I do a slight pause between shifts when the car is cold and get no grind. Not too many people notice , but even automatics shift differently when they are real cold. Ive used a manual transmission fluid from RED LINE that is excellect and eliminates most of the problem----its really great stuff. Used for years . It smells and looks slightly different than the Honda fluid--- Honda in theory could void your Warranty if they find the change---- but they wont because they dont check the fluid level unless they see a leak. It took me years to find this ---now you know--- end of post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
GM syncromesh in mine (2014 LX MT) and the shifter is smooth and quiet. No grind so far in cold weather.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No grind into 2nd when cold, but definitely very notchy. The temp has been down into the 20s in the morning already and it's quite noticeable. Might try a fill with synchromesh to see if it helps.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
When gearbox oil is due for a change, would synthetic be of any value here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
x2 on the suggestion for Redline...MTL. I have not switched over the Honda, but I use it in my race/autocross car and have used it on many other cars in the past. All of their lubricants are top-notch.

MTL can be used on any application that calls for GM Synchomesh.

·
Plot Twist
75 Posts
Bumping this post so i don’t have to start a new thread. I’ve been in the market for a 9th gen manual. One was posted to have issues with second gear and another i was waiting at the dealership for the test drive when they came back with the news they found a second gear grind on initial inspection. I was sent home without getting to test drive.

It’s got me wondering if many of your standard transmissions are getting the same issue. I’m going to see another tomorrow. Any tips or issues i should be on the lookout for?

(I’ve got the CVT now, so I’m familiar with the rest of the car)

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,611 Posts
Bumping this post so i don’t have to start a new thread. I’ve been in the market for a 9th gen manual. One was posted to have issues with second gear and another i was waiting at the dealership for the test drive when they came back with the news they found a second gear grind on initial inspection. I was sent home without getting to test drive.

It’s got me wondering if many of your standard transmissions are getting the same issue. I’m going to see another tomorrow. Any tips or issues i should be on the lookout for?

(I’ve got the CVT now, so I’m familiar with the rest of the car)
Thanks for using an old searched thread!
As for the grind, you need to be "deliberate" when going 1-2, you can't just slam it down into 2nd gear. I "crunched" mine a few times early on, but learned how not to do that. Hasn't been an issue since. If a car you are test driving has a crunch on slow shifts, WALK. Unless the dealer or private seller is going to have it fixed for you BEFORE you buy it. Which usually requires new syncro's.
The other thing to keep in mind, if you are dealing with a 5-6 year old car, is that slave cylinder with the Check Valve is probably sticking causing slower clutch engagement, which is not good IMO. New fluid, or better yet, take the Check Valve out completely. There are threads on how to do that. This is the best one:

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,262 Posts
I say F-it. I shift how I shift and if the transmission can’t take it, 🤷🏼‍♂️.

·
2020 best year
4,116 Posts
If it's not a very consistent grind every time you shift into it, usually new fluid will fix it. I used to occasionally grind the 3rd in my 8th Gen, and after a fluid change, I never ground 3rd again.

If it's consistent, then there is a problem with the synchros on that gear.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Plot Twist
75 Posts
As for the grind, you need to be "deliberate" when going 1-2, you can't just slam it down into 2nd gear. I "crunched" mine a few times early on, but learned how not to do that. Hasn't been an issue since. If a car you are test driving has a crunch on slow shifts, WALK. Unless the dealer or private seller is going to have it fixed for you BEFORE you buy it. Which usually requires new syncro's.
I finally got to drive one (i4 LX-S) today and it put a huge smile on my face. The transmission seemed completely fine; maybe 2nd was a little tighter or notchy in comparison to the slickness of the other shifts but it was probably just the placebo effect. I've got to say, after only having driven very old manuals, the refinement of this 9th gen was something special.

I was ready to purchase but their pricing was ridiculous considering the milage, number of previous owners, and most importantly damage to the vehicle.

I'm glad I got to drive it however because now I know it's worth selling my perfectly good 9th gen CVT for a stick. I've heard many people are bypassing this check valve. I'll look into it. Thanks!

I say F-it. I shift how I shift and if the transmission can’t take it, 🤷🏼‍♂️.
If I buy from a dealer who includes lifetime drivetrain warranty i'll do just that :p

If it's not a very consistent grind every time you shift into it, usually new fluid will fix it. I used to occasionally grind the 3rd in my 8th Gen, and after a fluid change, I never ground 3rd again.

If it's consistent, then there is a problem with the synchros on that gear.
Thanks! This is reassuring. I'm sorry if my questions seem naive. I'm only very familiar with honda's sequential gear boxes in their bikes. I've stopped riding for safety's sake but if i can move to a manual accord i'll be more than content.

·
Registered
2014 EX 6-spd MSM
25 Posts
58k on my 14 EX and I've never experienced this problem, shifts very smoothly so it isn't every car.

Agree with you the shifter feels fantastic, to me the manual makes the car into something much more than the appliance sedan that some people stereotype Accords into. The engine is so great between 5-7k rpm it seems an abomination that they mated a CVT to it, but I've never tried driving one I'll admit.

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
301 Posts
118K miles on my '13 2.4L 6MT. No grind here. I've swapped the gearbox oil every 30K miles using either the OEM Honda oil or GM Syncromesh friction modified 10-4014 - whichever is cheaper at the time. Shifts are gonna be a bit chunky when it's cold - no way to really avoid that. But if the grind is really bad? Likely a bad syncro.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts