Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
snip...
(I’ve got the CVT now, so I’m familiar with the rest of the car)
Suggest that you test the car at highway speeds. 6th gear in the manual is shorter than the top "gear" for the CVT so the engine will be revving faster at the standard supra legal flow on the Interstate highway than what you are used to which likely results in a small fuel economy penalty on the highway as compared to the CVT. If you go for a Sport manual, you will also pay a small fuel economy penalty as compared to the narrower tires on the LX. I know because I have a set of tires/rims from an LX that I am using on my 2015 Accord Sport. The way the rear suspension works makes the car tend to wear the inside edge of the tire in a feathered pattern which makes the tires loud as they age. This effect is worse for the wider tires than the relatively narrow LX tires. As far as 2nd gear grind, I have learned to slow my shifting speed especially when cold. MTF changes help like the other posters have mentioned. I have used both the GM friction modified synchromesh fluid and the Honda MTF. You are better off testing the car you are considering really well because the odds are that they will fight you if you try to use the warranty on a used car to replace the synchronizers. If possible, have a trusted mechanic look over and under the car for you. Good luck !

·
Plot Twist
75 Posts
58k on my 14 EX and I've never experienced this problem, shifts very smoothly so it isn't every car.

Agree with you the shifter feels fantastic, to me the manual makes the car into something much more than the appliance sedan that some people stereotype Accords into. The engine is so great between 5-7k rpm it seems an abomination that they mated a CVT to it, but I've never tried driving one I'll admit.
The CVT has been very smooth, only a few hiccups in the last 5 years that are impossible to recreate. I’ve been getting by by throwing it into L or S when passing but S can be quite unpredictable and revs lower than D when flooring it.

I do agree it does feel like an appliance in comparison to the MT. The CVT makes certain it never fully “wakes up”

118K miles on my '13 2.4L 6MT. No grind here. I've swapped the gearbox oil every 30K miles using either the OEM Honda oil or GM Syncromesh friction modified 10-4014 - whichever is cheaper at the time. Shifts are gonna be a bit chunky when it's cold - no way to really avoid that. But if the grind is really bad? Likely a bad syncro.
Glad to hear it. I like the idea of being able to change the weight of the MT fluid according to user preference. And with it only taking 2 qt vs the 4 in the CVT I will probably be more inclined to change it more frequently.

·
Plot Twist
75 Posts
Suggest that you test the car at highway speeds. 6th gear in the manual is shorter than the top "gear" for the CVT so the engine will be revving faster at the standard supra legal flow on the Interstate highway than what you are used to which likely results in a small fuel economy penalty on the highway as compared to the CVT. If you go for a Sport manual, you will also pay a small fuel economy penalty as compared to the narrower tires on the LX. I know because I have a set of tires/rims from an LX that I am using on my 2015 Accord Sport. The way the rear suspension works makes the car tend to wear the inside edge of the tire in a feathered pattern which makes the tires loud as they age. This effect is worse for the wider tires than the relatively narrow LX tires. As far as 2nd gear grind, I have learned to slow my shifting speed especially when cold. MTF changes help like the other posters have mentioned. I have used both the GM friction modified synchromesh fluid and the Honda MTF. You are better off testing the car you are considering really well because the odds are that they will fight you if you try to use the warranty on a used car to replace the synchronizers. If possible, have a trusted mechanic look over and under the car for you. Good luck !
I did go back to the dealership after they took off another 2k. I test drove and felt the slightest amount of feedback with the second gear. Probably just my own bad shifts since I’m new. I was about to purchase when i was told it didn’t qualify for the drivetrain warranty. Didn’t make sense since my own is still under a used warranty. The salesman told me some pretty sad things about those warranties. They are apparently never honored anyway. The require every service interval to be recorded and verified at the dealership which would cost a small fortune. You have to provide a complete receipt history and they will take any excuse to get out of it.

Thats interesting about the wear pattern. Would that possibly affect the rotors in the same way? I’ve already replaced them when the pulsing was getting too annoying but i think it was heat based warping. I just got confirmation that the EX 17” rims will fit on the sport, but i had no idea the 16” LX wheel will fit over the larger Sport breaks. This is great news in case i live somewhere that needs winter tires

·
Registered
86 Posts
snip ... I’ve already replaced them when the pulsing was getting too annoying but i think it was heat based warping. I just got confirmation that the EX 17” rims will fit on the sport, but i had no idea the 16” LX wheel will fit over the larger Sport breaks. This is great news in case i live somewhere that needs winter tires
The 16 inch rims from an LX fit on my 2015 Sport model (barely clear the front brake). I do not think it will fit on any Accords from 2016 and above except of course for the LX models from those years. 2016 and above minimum wheel size is 17 inches as far as I know for all non LX trims. As far as the rotor pulsing, I haven't found that but I tend to brake mildly to moderately and most of my mileage is highway. If you drive the car hard, the rotors will likely warp. Check the forum and tire sub-forum for advice on any better results with higher performance after market rotors.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts