Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for you all..

I bought my 06 Accord V6 6 Speed a few months ago with 5300 miles on it.

It sat for a few years, and I am just wondering if I should change the transmission fluid on it?

I'm currently sitting at 11k on the car, but its nearly 5 years old at this point.

Should I replace my fluid? And if so, should I get the GM Syncromesh fluid? The transmission is fairly notchy going into 2nd gear (gets a little better when warm), and 3rd gear seems like it doesn't engage fully 100% of the time, although it hasn't slipped out of gear or grinded yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Change it now to GM FMSF.

I and several others on this forum and many others on AcuraZine with TL, and others with Civics can vouch for this fluid, it's well over 2 years now since I changed to GM FMSF, the shift is perfect and the 3rd gear issue has not occured even once!

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
+1 for GMSFM! :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
how much is the GM stuff?

If I were you I would change all the fluids if the car been sitting for a while.

I have redline tranny fluid and it pretty good. Full Syn FTW no more 3rd gear problem either.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
it was about $14/qt in atl when I got it earlier this year.

It's less online, but the shipping usually kills it unless you buy a whole bunch.

·
Registered
366 Posts
how much is the GM stuff?

If I were you I would change all the fluids if the car been sitting for a while.

I have redline tranny fluid and it pretty good. Full Syn FTW no more 3rd gear problem either.
I agree that all the fluids should be changed. That third gear is troublesome. There is a Honda TSB.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
......quick question..

06 Accord V6 6 Speed with 5300 miles on it.......

It sat for a few years........change the transmission fluid on it?

Should I replace my fluid? And if so, should I get the GM Syncromesh

1. 5300 miles on a 6-6. What a great find!
2. You've TWO questions actually Sour (chuckle). Change? How about GMSFM?

Based on my experience (25,000 since GM SynchroMesh FRICTION MODIFIED replaced OEM stuff), going with the GM goo will solve your 6M woes for a long, long time. It's a no brainer.

Again, great car (now feed it some great transmission goo!!)

Season's best, ez....

·
Registered
93 Posts
i took 3 qts to my local midas and they said they wouldnt put the GM fluid into my HONDA, apparently someone sue'd a branch or something along those lines... i was denied regardless... lame.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Change it now to GM FMSF.

I and several others on this forum and many others on AcuraZine with TL, and others with Civics can vouch for this fluid, it's well over 2 years now since I changed to GM FMSF, the shift is perfect and the 3rd gear issue has not occured even once!
The Pennzoil FM works well too. You can get that at Autozone for $7 per quart. However, I am going to use the GM FM next time. I hear it's better. Either way, both are better than the OEM fluid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if the gm stuff is good for the std. 5speed? mine "chips" into 2nd and 3rd gears.

thanks.

BTW, sweet find on the 6-6!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah will the GM stuff work on the 4cyl/5speed?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's YMMV?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The GM stuff is great for all honda trannys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's the part number on it and how much do I need?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Top Gear Baby!
157 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the crush washers i will need?

Washer (6 mm) (1 required): (check bolt)
P/N 90442-397-000, H/C 0687616

If I recall correctly, the drain crush washer is the same as the oil change crush washer.
Washer (14 mm) (1 required):
P/N 94109-14000, H/C 0171876 (drain bolt)

Washer (20 mm) (1 required):
P/N 94109-20000, H/C 0251728 (fill bolt)

BTW, the #s are straight from the service bulletin 08-020

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
i thought that honda MTF now has same technology as GM synchromesh?
need to get mine changed, changed mine at 60k (maybe at 80 but dont remember. now car will be 100k in about 20 miles

1 - 20 of 36 Posts