Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone here who has a manual transmission car has some tips for seating position.

This is a problem that has plagued me from car to car, many times. It just seems impossible for me to properly set the seating position to get good comfort, good clutch operation, and good steering wheel position.

I think it might just be a problem that im crazy, but I just can't find that perfect setting. In a desperate attempt, I am posting here to see if anyone can give me any tips!

It seems like smoother shifting can definitely occur based on the seat position, and it is very important for me. My car has the power seats, so practically endless combinations, but for some reason I just have a mental block and can't find a properly suitable one. It seems to be hard to find a position from which the clutch smoothly releases without putting serious strain on the rest of my body (knees, back, etc). I'm not an old man by any means, but it is extremely uncomfortable for drives over half an hour long. I had a similar issue in my old 2002 accord, which actually forced me to sell it. Hopefully I will be able to find a better solution, because I really love the car!

Thank you in advance!

· Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone here who has a manual transmission car has some tips for seating position.

This is a problem that has plagued me from car to car, many times. It just seems impossible for me to properly set the seating position to get good comfort, good clutch operation, and good steering wheel position.

I think it might just be a problem that im crazy, but I just can't find that perfect setting. In a desperate attempt, I am posting here to see if anyone can give me any tips!

It seems like smoother shifting can definitely occur based on the seat position, and it is very important for me. My car has the power seats, so practically endless combinations, but for some reason I just have a mental block and can't find a properly suitable one. It seems to be hard to find a position from which the clutch smoothly releases without putting serious strain on the rest of my body (knees, back, etc). I'm not an old man by any means, but it is extremely uncomfortable for drives over half an hour long. I had a similar issue in my old 2002 accord, which actually forced me to sell it. Hopefully I will be able to find a better solution, because I really love the car!

Thank you in advance!
This is the video i referenced to adjust my seat, and ive been comfortable ever since i got my first car back in march (2008 Accord Coupe v6 6 Speed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lbwUDuz-is

· Registered
293 Posts
It seems to be hard to find a position from which the clutch smoothly releases without putting serious strain on the rest of my body (knees, back, etc). I'm not an old man by any means, but it is extremely uncomfortable for drives over half an hour long.
Releasing the clutch puts a serious strain on your body?

3 possible solutions:

*1. Take your wallet out of your back pocket before you start driving.
*2. Buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission
*3. Unfortunately, there's no solution for being a bit short.

· Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,440 Posts
With a hydraulic clutch, it's hard to see how you could be stressing your whole body to release the clutch. My biggest problem with learning the hydraulic clutch was exactly because it was so easy and I sat a bit too close.

Maybe a manual is not for you.

· Registered
660 Posts
Despite being tall (6'4") I have my seat further forward than many people who are shorter than me. Ideally I try not to have to stretch my legs out completely to put the clutch on the floor. Try moving forward so that your push on the clutch happens in the middle of your leg's range of motion instead of at full leg extension. I also think closer is better because I don't like having to lean forward to manipulate any controls.i can turn on the ac easily because it's always within arms reach. Try moving forward, see if it helps.

· Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,317 Posts
In manual cars I put the seat much closer than automatic cars for two reasons.

1) I like to be on top of the clutch. When the pedal is down I dont like to "reach" to do it.

2) I have shorter arms for a person of my height. So, I need to be closer to the shifter.

In my Accord, I almost look like a NASCAR driver I'm so close to the wheel relative to my size.

When I had a CVT loaner I had the seat much further back, felt like I was driving from the back seat.

Jay

· 2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
555 Posts
^^This. My seat is relatively close. Knees might be extended (clutch depressed) MAYBE to 100-120 degrees (75% extended). My seat back is not quite 90 degrees - maybe 100.
My seat is positioned such that I don't have to *reach* (strain or otherwise shift my whole body) to do anything. But that's just according to my body dimensions.

EDIT: OP, have you adjusted the steering wheel? The tilt/telescope can really help out too.

· 2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I found moving the seat forward more on my manual than automatic helped. If you can't get the clutch down to the floor quite right move the seat forward.

I actually use to slide my foot down the pedal after each shift until I learned to shift properly in my 8th gen.

You may also not be used to DBW, you have to let the RPM drop a little before you shift into the next gear. I felt the same way as you, felt like I could never get the seat quite right.

· V6 6MT CBP
2,979 Posts
6'5" with the seat all the way back, practically laying down. Most of my friends laugh at how my seat is positioned. I've never had a problem shifting in that position and I'm completely comfortable.

Where's Rick with the movie vid, remember Arnold in Commando throwing out the front seat???

· Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm 5'8". I position the wheel and seat low. Agree with whoever posted to take your wallet out of your back pocket.

· 2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Surprised no one in here has mentioned yet, but there is also the telescoping steering wheel you can adjust with driving position. My 15 sport has it, unsure about the other models. It took me a while to find my driving position on my manual sport, the key for me was pulling the steering wheel closer.

5,317 Posts
karfreek...are your arms short like a TREX?
sorry, i laughed when i read that.
sit closer to the wheel/pedals.maybe raise your seat up a bit.
its hard to diagnose...auto might be the way to go.
I'M not that bad. LOL But im like 5-11 with 5-5 arms. Best way I can explain it.

Jay

· Registered
156 Posts
I always start adjustments using the clutch pedal to the floor method. If you can do that comfortably move on to check everything else.
If you are having consistent issues, suggest you consider having modifications to the seat to ensure safe and proper application of the vehicle's controls.

5,317 Posts
^lol thats a t-rex
NO, not that bad. If I wear a shirt with a 32-33 sleeve its too small. Lol. Maybe im just average compared to my brothers who have huge wingspans.

Jay

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

It just seems very hard for me to get that sweet spot. I'll try placing the seat lower and closer today, and moving the steering wheel around as well.

The clutch on this car is a strange beast, I'm trying to find a position where it is consistently easy to engage while having access to all the controls and such.

As I mentioned before, I had this issue (in a much worse way) on my '02 accord, no matter how I adjust the seat, it was not in the right position. However, in the 2 miatas I previously had, I adjust it one time and it was perfect

I will try these suggestions out tonight and post back with results! I am ~6', going to attempt to sit a little lower and closer, and mess around with the steering wheel too.

Thanks again!

-KV

· Dark Canuck
89 Posts
Try this.

Start by adjusting your seat cushion tilt to suit a comfortable angle between your thighs and your pelvis. I like mine all the way up in the front and down in the back, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Adjust your seat fore/aft position so you can push the clutch all the way to the floor with your right foot. That will put you in a comfortable position to use your left leg and foot with good leverage.

Adjust your steering wheel telescope and your seat back angle so that you can relax against it (not leaning forward) and when you put your arm straight out in front of your (but not stretching) the hinge of your wrist is on top of the steering wheel rim.

Finally, adjust the tilt angle of the steering column so the wheel is at a height that when you grasp it at 9 and 3 you don't feel like you are reaching up to it and you don't feel like it's in your lap.

See if that helps you.

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

It just seems very hard for me to get that sweet spot. I'll try placing the seat lower and closer today, and moving the steering wheel around as well.

The clutch on this car is a strange beast, I'm trying to find a position where it is consistently easy to engage while having access to all the controls and such.

As I mentioned before, I had this issue (in a much worse way) on my '02 accord, no matter how I adjust the seat, it was not in the right position. However, in the 2 miatas I previously had, I adjust it one time and it was perfect

I will try these suggestions out tonight and post back with results! I am ~6', going to attempt to sit a little lower and closer, and mess around with the steering wheel too.

Thanks again!

-KV
I've never really had this problem wit m/t cars or trucks, but I do understand it. Best wishes on getting it to fit you right. :smile

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.