Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Manual Transmission Question

6K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  modoman 
#1 ·
Long-time reader, first-time poster here...

I owned a 1989 Honda Accord with manual transmission back in the day and I really enjoyed it. After a long walk through the wilderness without a Honda, I have my eye on a 2014 Accord Sport. Just trying to decide between CVT vs. MT. I live in the Dallas area with a 20-mile commute and, while I prefer the "fun" of driving a manual transmission, I have stayed away from them over the past few years due to the pain of constant shifting / clutch work while sitting in rush hour traffic every day.

So what am I missing here? Do you MT enthusiasts simply deal with the headaches and leg cramps of working a clutch in traffic every day so that you can enjoy the fun of MT on evenings and weekends? Or do most of you live outside of urban areas and don't have to deal with traffic jams on a daily basis? I really want an MT, but I need someone to talk me into it so that I don't go the "lazy route" of a CVT. Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
I don't care how bad the traffic is. I'll only buy a car with a manual or a twin clutch automatic. I absolutely despise the CVT. It's a feeble, limp wristed excuse for a transmission that is only good for fuel efficiency.

#3 ·
tell us how you really feel :yes:

I used to do a MT when I was younger and living in the city. It was fine but I gotta say if you truly sit in bumper to bumper traffic it's not worth it IMO. Stoplights....ok. 45 mins of bumper to bumper every day? Not worth it to constantly be dragging forward inch by inch and flexing that left leg.

#5 ·
I'm an established Accord driver with a clear preference for a manual transmission. I'd be very hard pressed to purchase a vehicle with an automatic. However, I've never lived in an area with bumper to bumper traffic. I did take a trip to California a couple years ago and found myself driving in that kind of traffic quite a bit. I tell you, the pleasure driving my manual transmission got old REAL quick.

As die hard as I am about driving a manual transmission, if I moved to an area where I was in serious bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis, I'd probably opt for an automatic.

#6 ·
I was just thinking and talking to some people about this yesterday. I liked my '98 MT a lot, but after 14-15 years of constant shifting whenever I found myself in traffic, folks behind me being annoyed whenever they were delayed a micro second after taking off from a light, and my wife not being 100% friendly with it, I decided to go with the CVT.

The second point is probably the one that I most appreciate the CVT over the MT for. I hardly ever killed the MT in traffic and I was no slouch at shifting but I did not do speed shifts, and I was constantly threatening to put a bumper sticker on the back: "Stick Shift. Back Off". People are so impatient.

#7 ·
If I were to live in an area with that much bumper to bumper traffic I would consider the V6 with the regular 6 speed auto.

#9 ·
If you drive in terrible B2B traffic, a manual can be mentally fatiguing, but it’s never THAT bad. But consider this, Europe and South America have urban traffic jams that are total nightmares, and almost all of those drivers have manual transmissions. They don’t complain. And if you’re in Texas, it’s not like you have to worry about B2B traffic going up hills. If you like shifting, get the stick. But if ya gotta ask…..maybe it’s not for you.

#17 ·
How do you know they're not complaining? Also many of those countries have typically had more incentives to fuel-efficiency so the culture was to get a manual rather than "waste fuel" with your less efficient "slushbox"

Again, if you're talking about stopping and starting at some stoplights in the burbs or city, manual can be fine (or even "fun" if you like to row gears) but I'd have trouble believing anyone who would RATHER have a manual in bumper to bumper traffic or even heavy suburban traffic (where you need to inch forward because 20 people are stopped at the stoplight)

#10 ·
I live in one of the "meccas" of road congestion and it does drive me crazy when I get stuck in traffic. However, I go to work much earlier now and that has helped me avoid it for the most part. If traffic is totally unavoidable for you, don't get MT.

#11 ·
I had a 6MT 350Z. I lived in Atlanta. I got tired of it really quick. I got a CVT Accord afterwards. I have no regrets. Sometimes I wish it was a 6MT, but with the amount of driving I do and in traffic, I am satisfied. The paddle shifters provide enough fun and control when I need it.

I find that many on here grew up with MT and are therefore not fazed by the use of it in traffic. Those of us who grew up with AT tend to feel more inconvenienced.

#21 ·
Agreed! I've drivin my 1999 civic (mt) for 7 years in Southern California traffic and it ****ed. Days when your just dead tired and lazy I prefer a AT. I'm happy with my CVT, would be better if Honda made there own version of a dual clutch haha but that wont be till who knows when.

#12 ·
Question - is your consideration to buy a 6MT based on an aversion to the CVT or a desire to drive a manual? If you’re reluctant to buy a CVT’s because it lacks low speed performance, why would that matter if you’re always in B2B traffic? It’s not like you’ll be going fast. I’m sure the CVT would be great. If you’re attracted to a 6MT because of a passion to shift, B2B traffic won’t bother you. I’m beginning to think a CVT may be the right choice for you.

#19 ·
It's a little of both. I have test-driven both the CVT and MT and, while I do not have an aversion to the CVT, the MT was much more engaging/fun to drive. Of course, that test drive was not done in the heavy traffic that I face on a daily basis. It is good to hear everyone's input / experience in driving the MT in B2B traffic - thanks for the feedback.

I like the suggestion of purchasing an older Miata with MT for use as an evening / weekend (or even project) car. In fact, that is something that I have been considering for a while now. That may be the best way to get my MT fix and still manage my commute with a CVT Accord.

#13 ·
I drive in mixed traffic all of the time; I have driven an At for the last 5 years; now I finally got a MT back, and I am loving every minute of it; my left leg is finally good for something

When I am in B2B traffic, I do not even notice that I am shifting (and I am 43)

I just wish the it had a seventh gear or a taller sixth

Maybe I will go to an AT when there are no more MT out there; but I will fight it tooth and nail

#14 ·
Maybe you can have the best of both worlds here. Have one car that is an automatic that you use for commuting, and have a second car that's a manual that you can drive more recreationally. I don't know if owning two vehicles is an option for you, but it's a thought. :dunno:

#20 ·
I owned nothing but a manual transmission when I was stationed in San Francisco area and DC metro... It's kind of a pain, but I can totally float at 4 mph in 1st gear like a champ from the practice. Manual is worth it all the way for overall driving pleasure, and I feel like a slushbox (including CVT) is just prone to expensive problems. It's based purely on superstition, but I'm sticking to it.

#22 ·
I had manual transmission cars while attending a grad school and then working at my first job. Used to drive in maddening bumper to bumper traffic everyday in NYC. I didn't mind the stick at all. But I was in late 20's then.

Ever since we had our kid, I had to get an automatic as requested (more like required) by the spouse. I REALLY miss driving a stick. I live in a more suburban area now, and fondly remember how much fun I had with a manual. Hopefully, my next car will be a MT.

Mick

#23 ·
Former truck driver here (18 wheels and 9 or 10 speeds depending on the trucks I drove) and while I understand the complaints of bumper to bumper traffic, I don't really think its that big of a problem. I've driven trucks all over this country...from the backwoods of Alabama to the metro areas of Chicago, LA, NYC and all places in between. I came off the road and purchased my 07 EX-L 5spd sedan used because I missed the manuals so much (i had an 05 automatic Altima at the time)

I've lived in rural SC, Chicago and now Milwaukee and I never get tired of rowing my own gears. I can see where it may get fustrating for some but once I get my car on the open highway and open it up its all love again.

I say go for the stick shift, the fun will outweight the times you're stuck in traffic. The CVT is a nice transmission but its just not the same as the stick shift.

#24 ·
I've owned one auto in my life ('68 Firebird back in HS) and still can't bring myself to own one again. Even when I drove in the Baltimore/DC commuter nightmare I still was OK with the manual. I now live in an area that gets kinda congested in the summer but it's not bad enough to warrant me buying an auto/CVT (gross) driven car. Heck, no ZIP code is is.

FWIW, my '13 Accord LX 6MT has some of the finest shifting linkage in the business. Better than my old Integra. Better than the old Passat. But still not as fun as my motorcycle:)

Get the 3rd pedal and drive a manual while you still can find one. Thanks to Honda for offering a stick in a mid-size. Soon they'll be gone in all sizes - at least here in the U.S.

#25 ·
I am surprised no one has mentioned how light this clutch is. It should be easy in bumper to bumper traffic. Takes almost more effort to press the gas pedal. :)

#32 ·
I test drove a 2014 EX coupe 6MT the other day. I really enjoyed the clutch and the shifter. Right after the demo, when I started driving home in my '07 I was like, "Wow this clutch pedal is hard to press down! Has it always been this stiff?"

The reason I was test driving is because I was curious about the paddle shifters and took out a LX-S Auto on my first demo. I'd never driven a car with paddle shifters before, so spent the whole drive experimenting with them. They were ok and kinda fun to play around with I guess. If I had an auto, I'd like the paddle shifters for more control, but they felt a little gimmicky. As if they'd be fun to use for a little while, but then I'd basically forget they were there and hardly touch them. On my second test drive I took out the 6MT, and there's no comparison. The manual is the transmission for me (too bad it's available in such limited colors).

HOWEVER... If bumper to bumper traffic were part of my daily commute, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the Automatic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#28 ·
I own both. My car is a 6M. My wife's is a cvt. A twin clutch auto drives more like a stick than a traditional automatic. I loved the DSG in my Gti.

#29 ·
Thanks, does she like the CVT? Yes, I am aware that a twin clutch auto, like the Porsche Tiptronic, does drive more like a stick.

#30 ·
It suits her needs putting around town lol. Being a performance oriented driving enthusiast, it doesn't offer enough "sportiness" to suit my needs. But one can't expect a device meant for economical efficiency to be equally as efficient at performance.

#33 ·
The more I drive my CVT, the more I like it. The computer programming ratio is just fine.

If you grow tired of shifting, guess what? You get more shifting.

While I have'nt followed the manual tranny part of this forum, I know what happens to "throw out bearings" in stop and go traffic. They only work when the clutch is disengaged.

Auto trannies of today have much improved and in most cases will out last a manual. Maintenance is required for this to happen.

#35 ·
Long-time reader, first-time poster here...

I owned a 1989 Honda Accord with manual transmission back in the day and I really enjoyed it. After a long walk through the wilderness without a Honda, I have my eye on a 2014 Accord Sport. Just trying to decide between CVT vs. MT. I live in the Dallas area with a 20-mile commute and, while I prefer the "fun" of driving a manual transmission, I have stayed away from them over the past few years due to the pain of constant shifting / clutch work while sitting in rush hour traffic every day.

So what am I missing here? Do you MT enthusiasts simply deal with the headaches and leg cramps of working a clutch in traffic every day so that you can enjoy the fun of MT on evenings and weekends? Or do most of you live outside of urban areas and don't have to deal with traffic jams on a daily basis? I really want an MT, but I need someone to talk me into it so that I don't go the "lazy route" of a CVT. Thanks in advance for your help.
I also live in the Dallas area and commute 22 miles in each direction. I understand your concerns. Luckey the Accord EX-L Coupe doesn't come with a MT so I had to go with the CVT. If you enjoy driving enthusiastically when not fighting the traffic then go for the MT. Especially if you are planning on keeping the car for 10 years or more. Resale value of MT cars is generally less than automatics and trading the car within a few years will reduce it's resale value. After 10 years it won't make much difference.

I would suggest that you give each car a long test drive. I would do it during the week at 5:00 in the afternoon on a slow moving freeway or road to see how much you really enjoy stirring the gear box in traffic. Tell the salesman that you want to drve each car in traffic to determine which transmission to buy. I would call the dealership in advance to see if they have a MT Sport. Then test drive the automatic and use the Sport mode with the paddle shifters and make up your own mind. You have to drive the car daily and non of us can tell you what will make you happy. These cars are over $20,000 and you want to make sure that you will be pleased with your purchase.

#37 ·
I would suggest that you give each car a long test drive. I would do it during the week at 5:00 in the afternoon on a slow moving freeway or road to see how much you really enjoy stirring the gear box in traffic. Tell the salesman that you want to drve each car in traffic to determine which transmission to buy. I would call the dealership in advance to see if they have a MT Sport. Then test drive the automatic and use the Sport mode with the paddle shifters and make up your own mind. You have to drive the car daily and non of us can tell you what will make you happy. These cars are over $20,000 and you want to make sure that you will be pleased with your purchase.
+1

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#36 ·
My condolences to anyone who has to commute everyday in the DFW area.

My parents are gone now, but when they were alive, I made regular trips to Shreveport, LA, to see them and both ways, I'd catch rush hour(s) traffic exacerbated by what seemed to be perpetual construction.

In the last year of my dad's life, I finally figured out by accident that I wasn't planning my trips right and changed in such a way as to get to DFW about 10PM going east and about 9AM going west.

As for what transmission is best in such situations, I'm not sure. All those years, I drove manuals as I do today and it's not particularly fun, but creeping in traffic for over an hour isn't fun, regardless of the transmission.

I say that if you love driving a manual, get a manual and just grin and bear it while commuting. The hydraulic clutches really contribute to the ease of driving a manual under all conditions.

If driving a manual is a chore regardless of the traffic, then you're certainly not going to be entertained by a manual in heavy traffic.

#38 ·
I live in the NYC area..our traffic here is the worst..but I wouldn't give up my 6MT..The clutch is so light..I had a 2008 4cyl altima cvt:thumbsdow..I hated it,I had that car for nine months and it only had 2700 miles when I got rid of it..honda makes some of the best manuals..the limited exterior color choices ****..but I find the car very fun too drive....the MT is def worth it IMO..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.